Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've heard speculation it's retaliation against the production studio for unionizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The "Good Idea, Bad Idea" sketches redeem all.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The variety and unpredictability of Adventure Time was something I really admired about it. It doesn't have a singular vision. Episodes could go in wildly different directions that weren't to my taste, or they could give me something I never would've thought I wanted. Just when I thought I had it figured out it would swerve or turn around completely.

It ended up being a series that never stopped surprising me, and that's a rare and special thing that, in hindsight, I appreciate more than if it had simply been consistent and focused.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It does feel to me like the movie was missing a subplot about spy paranoia.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That episode specifically coming out for Thanksgiving of 2016 is a case of the worst timing imaginable, for sure. The difference between children and adults watching Steven Universe is that adults are more likely to take the familial as an allegory for the political, whereas children tended to take the political as an allegory for the familial. That latter approach is certainly a better way to go about it if you want to like it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The "murder is okay" part of that is a meme.

I think it's a remarkable accomplishment for that show to have left viewers thinking about the antithesis to its thesis.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The more important question is: what do you propose should be done about this person's apparent connection with TenNapel?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why would anyone build a robot that can't gently caress?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being topical is for ointments, not cartoons.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

roomtone posted:

What are some good adult animated movies? Watched a few things recently like fantastic planet and coraline, although coraline felt pretty family friendly. Doesn't need to be a lot of swearing and whatever, just not coming from the disney/pixar sort of place.

Never seen nightmare before christmas, going to watch that next.

It's Such A Beautiful Day

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not like there's much that's on-topic for this thread that's caveat-free either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What have you got to lose?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's awesome when the villains are cool. Bad guys are fun. Playing with/as the monster is not cause for alarm. And Disney has a lot worse to answer for than facilitating that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I didn't care for how they broke themselves rear end backwards to make Hera the villain of the story while Zeus just made a few infidelity mistakes. Like straight up they're both awful in canon. If they want to make it accurate they don't need to make it like Hera is more unreasonable than him.

The idea of mythology having internal canonicity or continuity is kind of funny, but mostly wrong. Even the people who actually adhered to that religion were constantly reinterpreting their gods even just in different cities at the same time, nevermind over the course of centuries.