Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

cartoons123 posted:

There's been info, but not a lot and I don't think all of its confirmed. What I've heard is that scripts for the 1st and possible(?) second season are completed but there's been some stuff that's been messing it up. Some are saying the Louie CK cartoon getting cancelled messed up the idea of a block with that American Dad, and Final Space so they sorta shelved it. And now with the AT&T merger it seems like TBS's programming is being shifted again, we're it looks like they'll stop being the ones to premiere animation at the very least (hence Final Space being premiered on Adult Swim first now). Because of that it looks like the JG Quintel show might be moving there, and also might be retooled from a half-hour show down to the usual adult swim 11 minute runtime, which sucks but what you gonna do, it's a mess

I think the first season is done, and has been for a long while. This is evidenced by people like boarders and others who work down the line from the writing mentioning working on it a while ago and now having moved on to other shows. Really, I don't think there's any production issues or retooling that's stopping it from airing - it's likely just corporate politics and the Louis CK thing causing Close Enough to fall between the cracks and end up in limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Lastman is apparently also getting a second season:

https://twitter.com/LastmanTV/status/1139164324449140736

which is just cool as hell, ofc.

Also Bobbypills (the studio behind Peepoodo) is working on a number of projects, including Princess Apocalypse which looks just about what you'd expect from that creative team:

https://twitter.com/Bobbypills_/status/1135958978071056384

So yeah the French are basically saving anime Western adult-oriented animation

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

iirc The Boondocks was never something Adult Swim 100% owned so HBO probably just offered the other rights holders a bigger dump truck of money

I don't think there's any bad blood there or anything, and I don't even think it's a runtime thing since Rick and Morty is 30min and they greenlit a billion more seasons of that

HBO and Adult Swim exist under the same company, it's just internal politics. I think recently there was some reorganization in WarnerMedia to avoid having shows compete internally against each other and thus you might see more former Adult Swim properties moved over to HBO Max. There's been a persistent rumor that Close Enough will also finally premiere on there, after TBS ended up... not doing anything with it, but who knows.

That said, CN and AS are both moving towards exclusively producing 15 minute shows, and Disney seems to be doing the same. It's not a new trend, but it does suck for shows like Infinity Train that desperately needed the extra runtime per episode to avoid feeling so cramped. Longer running shows like R&M getting renewed at the old 30 min standard doesn't really mean anything - it's not like they're gonna screw with a so far successful formula.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I can't believe that one uncorroborated rumor was true. I'm glad it's finally getting released though.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Come And See posted:

It's like Villainous and tumblr had a baby. Overly busy, doesn't direct the eye well and doesn't linger on its payoff frames long enough. It's as pleasant as watching a strobe-light.

Yeah, plus the animation is kind of varied too. At times it's like every animator was trying to one-up each other in each tiny cut and fit in as much movement as possible, but then at times it's like they just went "good enough" after the first pass. If it was consistent you could at least call it a stylistic choice but like the busy designs, backgrounds and saturated colors it seems more like inexperience and lack of restraint to me. Combine with writing and storytelling on a level that's basically what a teenager thinks an adult cartoon should be like and that's about it, there's really nothing left that can salvage it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JGQuintel/status/1260577795924791301

JG Quintel's new show straight from 2017, Close Enough, is finally being released on HBO Max this July. The loving announcement trailer will be three years old by the time the show airs. Thanks a bunch, TBS.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I really don't buy JG Quintel's explanation. From what I've seen, Close Enough's episodes seem to have terrible pacing. Everything goes by too fast and nothing has time to land and settle. It really feels like somebody cut a finished 22 minute episode down to 11 minutes. There's no way this was preferable to a more leisurely pace that lets the stories breathe.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Please, for the love of God, please let them make 22 minute episodes without a strict adherence to TBS's S&P. The show really felt gimped by those two decisions and I feel like JG Quintel and his team have a lot more potential in them than what the first season delivered, if only they were allowed to do it on their own terms.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Yeah it's more like all adult oriented animation has a style that is ugly as gently caress and animation that's basically the cheapest you can get because some animation executive somewhere managed to convince everyone that nobody anywhere actually wants anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I find it kind of funny how one of the allegations involves Vivzie badmouthing Dana Terrace for being a terrible boss. First of all because lol irony but secondly cos I'm pretty sure the most evidence we have of this being true is, like always, random posts on /co/ and maybe like one former DTVA employee who wasn't exactly very stable. There's a nonzero chance that's literally her source for the rumors too, rather than actual industry gossip