Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I wish Ugly Americans had lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Thanks to SGC2C, I will always know him as Comrade Gingersnap

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'd be perfectly happy with a Hazbi series, I think, but I don't think given its production lead time, that one will ever happen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm guessing it'll be all new characters, what with The Gandhi Situation last time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

RubricMarine posted:

Have a link for everyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ZmVAdezF8

I actually think this is probably the best episode yet, a few choppy low FPS scenes aside; the show's really hit its stride imo.

I am 100% here for Millie and Moxie. They just love each other so much, in a culture that doesn't value that at all.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I am hype for both these shows: https://gizmodo.com/big-mouth-spinoff-human-resources-reveals-its-monstrous-1847095564

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm not sure what you need to sell Big Mouth other than "junior high school was an inescapable hellpit, let's laugh at that."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bussamove posted:

I will never in my life get over the fact that’s just how Richard Horvitz sounds.

I remember during the IZ commentary track he was seeking any excuse to bust out his Bea Arthur impression.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think you can pinpoint the exact moment it really began its fall from grace in the episode where Peter tells Brian that Quagmire hates him. It comes out of nowhere, it doesn't have a punchline, and it marks the point where Quagmire gets Flanderised and just becomes constantly irritated by everyone around him, followed eventually by basically the entirety of the cast.

And it's not that Quagmire is wrong about what he says, but it feels like the writers hate what they've written Brian into being, and rather than fix it they decide to vent their frustrations on screen, then continue writing Brian that way, and do basically the exact same thing with everyone else as well - turn them into complete irritants, openly mock them as such, then just keep cranking the dial.

I think I actually prefer Brian that way compared to the Macfarlane's Self-Insert Mouthpiece Character he started out as.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

Honestly I'm shocked that it survived, but I'm curious how production will work, since that one article basically described the animation building as having been taken over for generic executive offices.

I'm pretty sure the animators will just play through, like on a golf course.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

There's story potential in the Romulan/Vulcan split. Perhaps the ones that chose to go under the raptor's wings or whatever were a non telepathic underclass that revolted against the psychically awakened privileged class. It's known that the Vulcans aren't perfect, and it would give more nuance to the split beyond "we're going to go and be space KGB".

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is the wrong thread, unless this animation studio business is just way more complex than I was realizing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Excellent--it has been too long since our last dose of Conan + dinosaurs

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Two eps in to Little Demon, and it's... okay? It hasn't dug very deep for anything yet, but I'm willing to keep watching to see what it does.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'll add in that despite Aubrey Plaza only running at about 30% capacity, she's still the best part of it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Now I wish we'd seen a human disguise for Octavia.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Warbird posted:

The animation/models seemed weirdly different for reasons I can’t put my finger on. Did they change things up?

It seemed a bit lower-quality than usual, like they couldn't do their usual number of frames.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The trailer for Ark: The Animated Series makes it look like exactly the sort of cheap tie-in series everyone expected Arcane to be, but evidently all their money went to hiring a voice cast:

Michelle Yeoh
Gerard Butler
Jeffrey Wright
David Tennant
Karl Urban
Elliot Page
Malcolm McDowell
Monica Bellucci
Alan Tudyk
Cissy Jones
Russel Crowe
Vin Diesel

...and some others I think I missed in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTbYmS5o_Y

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

(also the first episode of clone high S1 wasn't super great either, it wasn't until like episode 3 that suddenly it shot off into the stratosphere with its humor, though i did like some of the jokes in episode 2 with the extreme sports product placement)

I think we were fully sold on the show with "SIGN THIS LEGIT-rear end CONTRACT"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by Scott Pilgrim Takes Off. As a not-comics-reader, I looked at the movie as a sort of quirky love letter to source material I wasn't familiar with. The series goes places I didn't expect, lets all those minor characters breathe a lot more, and flexes all of its original-cast-members-who-are-now-much-more famous credentials. I can't imagine how much this must have cost in rehiring everyone (and new cameos) plus music licensing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Four episodes into BES and I'm thinking we've found an equal to Arcane for 2023.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

le sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Didn't The Flintsones also air on prime time for a bit back in the day (it literally started off as Animated Stone Age The Honeymooners after all, I think some of the really early episodes even had laugh tracks)?

Everything Hanna-Barbera produced had a laugh track, a tacit admission that they knew it all wasn't funny.