Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

The tonal whiplash on this show just killed it for me. The main plot is a rather dark story about a sadistic alien trying to destroy the universe, it's played as completely straight and real and almost every character involved is a serious militaristic-type who risks their life every episode... and into all this the show centers itself around Gary, who is basically a manic crazy person on cocaine. He's more exaggerated and energetic than anything you'd see in, say, Futurama, to the point that I kept feeling like he'd fit right into an actual children's cartoon, the kind where every single moment has to have something exciting or the 4-year-olds will lose interest. It's just so out-of-place next to everyone else and everything that's happening. It makes the entire world ring false to some degree, because why on earth are Gwen and Avocato working with him? He's obviously an insane person that needs to be locked up somewhere he can be medicated and have constant supervision, no one should be trusting him with a jetpack or a laser pistol.

I mean, I guess that's the joke, but it just made the world itself seem inconsistent. Fry can be a goofy idiot and still succeed in Futurama's world because everything there is a little goofy too. In Future Space's world, Gary would have been literally committed years ago.

My complaints go a step beyond the situation being unbelievable, though it is that.

You get the sense that he's written as an incompetent, horny idiot because it's meant to be a normal, relatable reaction, but it's not. He's an arsehole with no respect for human life, who screams toxic nerd in every little thing he does. A couple of curt dismissals from the cast doesn't justify any of this poo poo, because the narrative weight is behind the guy being a hero, and they even give him a bunch of self-sacrificing speechifying to support that. (Which he spends talking about himself and cracking off colour jokes, naturally).

He's not got enough weight to be sufficiently dramatic -- no-one on the show does -- and he's not funny enough, nor is the situation comic enough, to support his antics. I think this is partly down to the bad guy too, who's just too nasty to work as a foil to a slacker goof who isn't taking things seriously. David Tennant is tying knots in people's intestines just to watch them choke on their own poo poo over here, and Gary's in a screwball comedy romance over here. The tones don't complement each other or even comment on each other, they just exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it's literally just unaltered footage of australian life

But please ask questions, they are always really funny

Yeah nah I've been wondering how the guy who they tried to murder back in the pilot would come across to Yanks. I've straight up met guys like that all over.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

The nerd? We have those here too

Nah, the guy who needed a dart.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, Waits is a whole different kind of crazy. He's more "This dude might literally be Satan in the form of the man here to trick me into losing my soul" crazy.

Have you seen him in The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

It's not Rick & Morty, by the end of the first season a great number of us think it's the best Trek since DS9 seriously.

Because of stuff like the Orion space pirate joke?

Sorry, I've only seen the ascension episode, but when I read the Star Trek thread and see stuff like that suggested to be the show's high points, then it just sounds like fanwank tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

It sounds like you are already looking for reasons to dislike it so yes you should avoid it.

Unfortunately not.

I have noticed that I've been getting angrier about stuff recently, I dunno, maybe it's a corona thing. Or maybe I'm just incredibly bad at being forthright, or communicating in general. Who the gently caress knows.

I don't really watch a lot of Star Trek, and what I've enjoyed hasn't really matched up with the dominant feelings of the thread on this forum, the few times I've dipped into it. I liked, mostly, the first season of Disco. Disliked, mostly, the second. Didn't really like The Orville, which I found kitsch and trad.

I dislike it when shows -- or media generally -- basically eats itself alive. I enjoy things when they're trying to do something new and different, and I respect ambition, and what I think of as complexity. Which is, of course, subjective.

Would I like this show?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

HBO MAX is starting a new Adventure Time series that is just Bubblegum & Marceline flying to a far off country to slay a dragon, Finn & Jake ere no where to be seen in the trailer.

It's a one off as a part of their Distant Lands series. There's a Finn and Jake episode still to come.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, I personally don’t know anyone who “jumped ship” from AT to SU. They are incredibly different programs and I sort of was into SU for the first season but as the series progressed it just kept hammering home these weird tonal notes and plot beats and at some point I realized that I was just hate-watching it to see how far down the rabbit hole the show’s ambiguous morality would go. There are so many components of Stephen Universe that are extremely Sus or just send a very hosed up message, to me anyway. I never watched an episode of Adventure Time and went “wait, what? That’s the lesson? Oh HELL NAW”

Would you consider going into this in more detail? I never considered Steven Universe to be all that distasteful, though, yeah, it's a bit saccharin.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Bubblegum's Uncle, who the boarders thought was just kind of a dull rear end in a top hat,

Not wrong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Disenchantment is on the lower end of mediocre.

That said, so much time has passed between when I last watched it (Part 1) and now (Part The Third) that I'm tempted to check out some stuff out of morbid curiosity.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You can't have a really silly setting and also focus heavily on an ongoing dramatic plot.

Nahhhh. I can think of plenty of shows that work this way.

e.g. Search Party, a show that's also got a new season out this weekend.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Against all odds season 3 of Disenchantment is decent. Not amazing mind you, but it’s more or less figured out it’s tone and the jokes land more often than they used to. Also there’s a couple more heartfelt scenes that actually land pretty well which was a nice surprise. Definitely worth watching if you were ambivalent on the show before but thought it had potential.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't love the show or anything. But it's pretty clear to me, after three episodes into the new season that the show is more of a adventure story romp, told in the style of The Simpsons or Futurama, rather than a out and out comedy.

So it's not super funny, but it's also doing its own thing. And I respect that.

It's like a less funny version of Wrecked, of The Detour.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Scrolling through Hulu and, uh, they just really gave two new shows to the Bob’s Burgers studio huh?

Central Park and... uh... that Alaskan one?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Been listening to the Central Park soundtrack, which I like a lot more now I'm not watching the show.

But the content of the songs made me wonder: does anything much happen in that show's first season, because it seems like the season ends exactly in the same place it started.

For some reason I expected something more serialised?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I would argue just the opposite, but to each their own I guess. I do like that in the last season opener they directly lampshade how a lot of people found Gary grating.

Yeah, but surely that's not accounting for the problem so much as acknowledging it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I appreciate what Final Space is trying to do (and what it's successfully doing i.e. hiring Claudia Black) but I don't think its mix of comedy and pathos works. The characters are idiots, scream-loudly-and-wake-the-monsters idiots, but then it asks us to be emotionally involved in their fight for survival? These characters couldn't survive a can opener, yet they mostly manage to bounce between exploding clouds of shrapnel that turn the rest of the guest cast into sacrificial gore piñatas.

And then out come the fat rolling bubbles of tear goo and I just switch off emotionally.

That said, I get the sense that this season is somewhere they wanted their plot to be at an earlier point in the saga, and I'm keen in seeing what the overall arc for the show seems to be. Its larger constructions -- Earth, Keith David's Titan, Mooncake, the slow decompensation of the Lord High Commander (who seems to be a different species of shark, but possibly from the same race as Ron Funches' character?), the doomed time travel romance between the leads -- all feel compelling in the macro. In the moment, it more miss than hit.

cant cook creole bream posted:

They better don't kill off anyone in season 3.

Claudia Black (Gary's Mum), Jane Lynch (the ship AI) and Ron Funches (Not King Shark) are all gonna end this season super super dead. They scream motivational canon fodder.

Edit: Spoke too soon.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Invincible or Irredeemable the one where Lady-Zod sexually assaults the main character in order to become impregnated by them? Both have been on my "To-Read" list for years but I never got around to it and I frequently confuse one for the other.

It's this show OP.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Final Space needs to pick a tone. That episode was all over the shop.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching DOTA. This is a lot of lore.

Also Birdgirl continues to be amazing this week. So loving funny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This episode of Final Space was pretty decent.

It's still an episode of Final Space, so they went too far with the fist fight scene, and the new relationship stuff with the space child raises some odd questions that you're probably not meant to think about.

But, it was good and fun, and the emotional stuff was (mostly) believable and likeable.

Also I don't say this enough, but this show is really nicely animated. Compared to stuff like Invincible, it really stands out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Against all odds: that was a very good episode of Final Space. Show finally good?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Photex posted:

If that's the end of Final Space...so be it.

Definitely one Hail Mary of a climax.

Really good though, just well put together and minimal shittyness. And the episode made me feel happy to see Tribor for once, something i never thought would happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

I’m entranced by the complexity of the hair, how the hell are they pulling that off? Can they really be drawing it that complex for every new frame?!!?

Looks like it's CG, so I assume that makes it easier.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

I framed through it though and its weird, some things, like the bag, stay really consistent in volume and appear CG-ish. But when she walks, the feet change volume enough that it either has to be hand drawn or they're applying a jitter filter on the CG lines that mess with them a bit to create the illusion of imperfect volume preservation. It being in black and white probably helps, but if it is CG it's the best application of CG in anime I've ever seen.

I suspect it's something like that. The feet seem to glide a little too easily when morphing in size; it's a bit freaky, actually, and you can see how it's an effect they'll employ for maximal queasiness.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DogsInSpace! posted:

Noooooo.... I recently found this show and have become semi obsessed by it.

I really liked Season 1 and 2 but Season 3 made me love this show. Kinda funny not many outside my stoner circle talk about it. Is it definitely done?

No, and I'd put decent money on it getting a fourth season. I suspect the lag in renewal is down to HBO Max and Adult Swim fighting over content.

DogsInSpace! posted:

I have the same feels for this show I did for Farscape

Gotta believe there's some ntentional homage, given the casting of Claudia Black as the first gen Goodspeed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Crazy Ferret posted:

All the side characters from the season feel either really dumb or very forced. The magistrate's keeps swearing and its really out of place. I like the show, but the writing in this one felt really off.

Its a silly show but the action scenes are fantastic.

*man turns into bloody chunks*

*fleshbeast grinds victim into sticky paste*

Thank the almighty there weren't no cussing though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Centaurworld does feel like more along the lines of Tuca and Bertie and Bojack, but doesn't actually have any explicit jokes or lines that'd get it a higher rating.

There was a vagina joke, and a few other bits here and there. It's a teen cartoon, like Kipo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That deer is a frothing lunatic and often the best part of the show.

She's played by the show's creator too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Is that her singing aswell?? I really liked the way she'd start singing and youre like, "wow, thems some pipes!" Immediately followed by her "characters" voice to slip in.

Pretty funny!

Yeah I believe so. That bit where she goes from her silly Glendale voice to the voice of the TaurNado was very impressive too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Froghammer posted:

CentaurWorld spiritually has a lot to do with Bone; the fact that it looks like a show for children is a trick designed to make you lower your guard. The world Horse has fallen into is bleak. What passes for society is super cutthroat, things are implied to frequently die horribly, and day-to-day existence is so dangerous that Wammawink literally sealed herself and her friends inside a giant bubble that none of them are allowed to leave. It's still ultimately a show for late teens, but the rainbows and humor are hiding something dark.

I mean, yes, but "the world is much darker than the cartoon MnM coating suggests" applies to Avatar, Steven Universe, Adventure Time etc. etc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

the fact that it ends with all the people who committed suicide getting spat back out and being alive again is a very kiddy resolution to that subject matter so while the song and concept is pretty dark in the end it probably gets a pass

I don't think it was every person, but like I said before, I think the most adult the content ever really gets is the way the characters immediately leap from "giant hole in the ground" to "that's a vagina!"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I've long been of the opinion that they go way over the top just to show how cool it is that they don't have censors on the internet when the jokes don't necessitate it.

Like just because I can say gently caress in every loving sentence on this dumbass forum full of dipshits doesn't mean that it makes it any more or less funny.

A lot of television doesn't have any censorship beyond what's self-imposed. So I dunno if your argument tracks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought the cat episode and the Internet episodes were loving hilarious.

It's an American style sitcom that's only six episodes long, that's more the problem tbh.

limp_cheese posted:

I think some of that was the animation style looked really rough and cheap, and not in the charming way Harvey Birdman was.

What were you thinking of in particular, because I didn't get the sense of that for the most part tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If goons aren't watching Fairfax, then they have bad taste and aren't cool enough to hang with me anymore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

The impression it leaves is they're trying to parody something so specific to a particular crowd that it can't be adequately translated to anyone else. On top of that, it feels like they're going for some real low-hanging fruit. The joke of "Hey, aren't hipsters just wacky?!" is about the same age as the show's main characters.

I think it's quite gentle and loving tbh, while still being satirem it's just ratcheting up the intensity a bit. I really liked it.

I think there's more to it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Arcane episode seven -- there's an upper city and a lower city, which seem to be physically on top of one another, but passage between them seems to be achieved via horizontal bridges? Or have I got that wrong?

Also, episode seven We're meant to understand that the cops shot all those protestors, right?

(Still only seen the first seven episodes, so bear that in mind when you're replying.)

Bust Rodd posted:

Is this cartoon treating me like an adult? Is it not spelling everything out for me, but actually allowing me to use media literacy to look for symbolism?

I mean, that's a fairly low bar that a lot of animated shows pass though, unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And I'd argue that Arcane doesn't really pass the bar of notably adult or complex, in the way that something like, say, Anomalisa, or Waltz With Bashir, or The Congress does.

That's not to say that Arcane isn't adult or complex or whatever at all, but it's not on some next level thoughtful animation for adults thing that's challenging or materially interested in its own status as capital-A-Art or whatever.

That said, ranking stories like this is pretty dumb beyond a certain kind of point. But if Arcane passes the bar, then Castlevania passes, Harley Quinn, IMO, passes and maybe even something like The Spine Of Night. Arcane is aiming to be complex and novelistic in construction (individual episodes are chapterised rather than episodic, for instance, and it's constructed with some deal of thought) but a lot of its character work is, IMO, a bit simplistic. And most of the show is ultimately about arranging things so that characters can have ridiculous action stunt fights, or can walk purposefully while Inagine Dragons digitally cameos as themselves. A lot of it's very pleasurable (the Imagine Dragons cameo was loving hilarious, and in a just world it's going to be loving infamous) but it's largely not anything more than a mostly beautiful animated show for young adults and people who enjoy that kind of thing. I enjoy that kind of thing though, so it's not like there's any loss to me for watching it.

It's also hard to separate the show from inherently commercial motivations that drive the series. Riot want that Disney money, and they're pretty open about it -- "the IP of a generation" -- and that bothers me. That, and the series has some tremendously uncomfortable ablist elements, but, you know, it is what it is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Also feels weird to call out Riot for trying to make money on their popular IP, like, wtf else are they supposed to do with it? Why are they held to a different standard than DC or Disney?

I'm not holding them to a different standard, I'm just talking about Riot because they made the show we're currently talking about instead of just randomly changing the subject to talk about Warner Brothers or Disney.

Also this is kinda classic whataboutism tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm not sure where something like Big Mouth fits into that though; it's written from an adult perspective, but for a formative period that isn't relevant to adults anymore. I guess it's written for adults who've lost touch with what their kids are experiencing? Weird nostalgia for people who thought puberty was the greatest time of their life?

I think the childhood thing is part of the show's metaphor. The conversations these teens have are the kinds of conversations that children and teens are having, but they're also the conversations that a lot of adults have too -- because people's emotional development doesn't really tend to match the rate at which they physically age. A lot of adults are just as underdeveloped as we expect children to be, and, on a wider social level, flashpoints like the Me Too movement indicate that we're not particularly mature as a society either.

The show's wedding arc is probably the most obvious case of this metaphor being expressed, given that it's about two children getting married and experiencing the various anxieties and dramas associated with that, but it's there in the Coach Steve character (who is less mature and emotionally developed than most of the cast, despite being one of the oldest regular characters on the show), in the visions Nick has of being an adult (and the way those develop and become increasingly complicated as the seasons go on), the way quite a lot of the parents are actually manchildren, or have arcs that are reflections of the younger generations (e.g. Jessie's mother comes out, but so does Jay, and Andrew is constantly at risk of turning into his father)etc. etc.

That and it's the various writers still working through their anxieties and traumas from when they were growing up, but with a more developed perspective and the benefit of hindsight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I'm a few episodes in and it's not as good; they've plumped for comedy over drama, but once the last few episodes of season one went so dark there really wasn't a way back to low stakes comedy, not the way the show handled it anyway

Also, yes, the songs kinda suck. Quite a lot of them aren't straight up songs either, they're people speaking with rhythm.

Disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Centaurworld is already over?

Yeah. It was only ever a twenty episode order.