Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Pretty good opening post, should include links to the threads for shows that have them already though, also maybe a link to the Toonami discussion thread as well since it's basically adjacent to this thread due to Adult Swim being where a large percent of this thread's shows air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Done.

So here's a question. Is The Shivering Truth a good show? I honestly can't tell. It feels way too unstructured and it's attempts at comedy don't work most of the time so I'm tempted to file it under "bad" but drat does it nail it's atmosphere and visuals sometimes. Taken in a vacuum a lot of the mini-segments would make for some genuinely terrifying short films if played straight like this one of a kid who can hear things happening at the ocean though a seashell (the things happening are people being murdered).

Also: Have this GAHD ending credits gif I didn't end up using in the OP:

You missed the King of The Hill thread

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So as we all know a lot of adult animation series end up getting canned after a season or two, what are some you wish had lasted longer, personally I feel both Good Vibes and Chozen had a lot of potential and should have gotten second seasons at minimum

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm of mixed feelings about it coming back, cause while Season 4 was a disaster without him, Season 3 wasn't all that much better

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So because I was reminded that it existed, I went and watched some of "Peepoodo & The Super gently caress Friends" and it might just be one of the most depraved shows I've ever seen, and yet it's oddly sweet at times too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I still have doubts about Disney holding onto Family Guy, I figure they'll probably sell it off to Time-Warner if they can get a good price for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SomeJazzyRat posted:

You would think that, but The Simpsons, a show with more than a few sex and suicide jokes, is going to part of the premier lineup for Disney+. Family Guy may be more overtly raunchy, but I think it's a part if Disney's new wing of Adult content, a.k.a. their Hulu wing.

Actually my thoughts about that are because of how often Family Guy has made very blatant and crude attacks on not only Disney the company, but also Walt Disney himself, and Disney is very protective of his image normally

So I figure they'll either sell it or bury it as much as possible

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

John Witherspoon died at age 77 today. :(

Weren't they going to do a new Boondocks?

Apparently his son does a near perfect imitation of his dad's voice, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get him to play Grandad

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Makes sense, both companies have absolutely enormous animation libraries, and it's about time both properly began exploiting it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mike Lazzo is apparently quitting or retiring or something, so wouldn't be surprised if ATHF gets revived in some form

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

So I recently cut cable and did the all streaming thing.

Hulu recommended Golan the Insatiable.

It's actually pretty loving good. It's a great mix of total stupidity with a more serious seasonal arc that is also stupid. Maria Bamford as the mom works so God drat well.

Of course Fox killed it.

Yeah it was a pretty cute show, if an animated adaptation of I Hate Fairyland ever happened they should definitely try to get some of the people who did Golan to work on it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I imagine its very unlikely to get a second season.

Apparently they started work on a second season last year actually

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I forget if I posted about this before, but a couple months ago it was revealed that The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers(one of the most iconic Underground Comix of the 60's and 70's) was getting a cartoon and they released a "minisode" to promote it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB20_GvGXxY

that one was kinda bleh, they released a new one today that while a little cliche in it's parody is definitely a noticeable improvement over the first;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSLv3V2RzI

hopefully when the full series premieres in the fall(assuming it doesn't get delayed that is) it'll be even better, cause the original comics for the Freak Brothers are amazing and it'd be a shame for their first foray into a non comics medium to end up falling flat(honestly it kinda amazes me that it took this long)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Yeeeeeesh, those were really, reaaaaaally bad.

I'd say the second is a little bit better, so I have some admittedly probably foolish hopes that the final product will be something decent

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

luxury handset posted:

i've never gone so quickly from learning about a thing to not wanting to know any more about that thing

the idea of a FFFB reboot is tempting and the art style is workable but gently caress, whoever wrote these is absolutely not at all getting what made the comics so popular. it feels like any generic adult cartoon with nothing to say, and it's a waste to squander the ur-hippie stereotype on something this bland. was the intent of this just to try to capture some audience by rebooting a sixty year old obscure franchise based around comical substance abuse?

the original comics, if you've never read them, are about these three dudes slumming it up in late 60's san francisco and generally viewing the world through an anti-authoritarian and very stoned lens. half of the work is generally social commentary about what it's like to be poor and restless while hating The Man in america, the other half is gentle ribbing of the hippie movement for being more interested in getting high than social change. i'm really not sure what part of this you could reboot - if you want to mock The Man, then a group of literal hippies from 1968 are going to be out of place in a modern setting, and if you want to make fun of the counterculture then it's going to be weird to have a bunch of literal hippies doing it

i feel like the only way this would work is if you updated the characters a bit to fit better in a modern setting and made it an observational slice of life thing. just jamming the freak bros as is into any scenario other than the summer of love is going to be weird as hell

Yeah it does have a bit of an uphill battle to go through if it's going to end up any good, though hopefully it'll get a chance to find it's footing rather than be yet another one season footnote in Adult Animation, after all it took most of two seasons for American Dad to figure out what worked for example

Also yeah the comics are amazing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

They don't know who Ryan Seacrest is but they're familiar with Game of Thrones..

Lord of The Rings was super popular with Hippies, kinda makes sense the Freak Brothers would like Game of Thrones

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

moths posted:

I've been shown a lot of Tim and Eric clips and I think it's basically the same phenomenon where certain people percieve feet as sexy and I am not those people.

The uncomfortable and hilarious receptors are so close in their brains and the neurons get confused I guess.

Agreed, can't stand Tim & Eric

the fact that they might have had a role in us not getting a third season of The Big O just amplifies it further

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, what? What the gently caress why did Tim ad Eric do that?!

From what I heard they threw a hissy fit when they found out the proposed budget for Season 3 was going to be like several times what they were getting for their show and they threatened to walk if Adult Swim went forward with it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm willing to give it a shot before calling it crap, but I do agree the odds are kinda against it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet so I didn't directly go into any threads but from what I could gather it was very polarizing with a ton of people there who loved it and a ton who hated it

Yeah that was my impression too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The finale for Futurama was pretty great, especially how in the initial airing it looped right into an airing of the first episode

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Bring back Aqua Teen Hunger Force!

Probably will happen since Adult Swim will be losing all of the Fox animation shows besides American Dad soon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I despise Too Young as an episode I feel that one is where the first cracks in the show started showing up and would lead to it's downfall

Reminds me that a couple years ago around the time the finale came out, I was in a thread where people were talking about the show as a whole and a common thread was that they felt the show had been going on too long amd wondered how the show would have been if it had capped off at say a 3 season 100 episode run, I took up that challenge and made a decent "condensed" version of Adventure Time, though I ended up going over the 100 episode part of the challenge, I should go dig it up as I thought it was a good concept

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I despise Too Young as an episode I feel that one is where the first cracks in the show started showing up and would lead to it's downfall

Reminds me that a couple years ago around the time the finale came out, I was in a thread where people were talking about the show as a whole and a common thread was that they felt the show had been going on too long amd wondered how the show would have been if it had capped off at say a 3 season 100 episode run, I took up that challenge and made a decent "condensed" version of Adventure Time, though I ended up going over the 100 episode part of the challenge, I should go dig it up as I thought it was a good concept

found it, my concept condensing down Adventure Time from 279 episodes(not counting the HBO Max specials) to 104(though honestly if I were to tinker with this list again I'd probably add back in another 10 to 20 or so episodes I chopped out the first time cause I had been focused on getting the list pared down to as close to 100 as I could rather than just the episodes I wanted to include);

Season 1

1. Slumber Party Panic
2. Trouble in Lumpy Space
3. Prisoners of Love
4. The Enchiridion
5. Ricardio the Heart Guy
6. My Two Favorite People
7. Memories of Boom Boom Mountain
8. Wizard
9. Evicted
10. City of Thieves
11. What is Life
12. Ocean of Fear
13. Dungeon
14. Freak City
15. Donny
16. Henchman
17. What Have You Done
18. His Hero
19. Gut Grinder
20. It Came From The Nightosphere
21. Blood Under the Skin
22. Power Animal
23. To Cut a Woman's Hair
24. The Chamber of Frozen Blades
25. Her Parents
26. The Silent King
27. The Real You
28. Death in Bloom
29. Susan Strong
30. Mystery Train

Season 2

1. Go With Me
2. The Limit
3. Video Makers
4. Morituri Te Salutamus
5. Memory of a Memory
6. Hitman
7. Wizard Battle
8. What Was Missing
9. The Creeps
10. From Bad to Worse
11. Beautopia
12. No One Can Hear You
13. Jake vs Me-Mow
14. Thank You
15. The New Frontier
16. Holly Jolly Secrets(Parts 1 & 2)
17. Marceline's Closet
18. Ghost Princess
19. Dad's Dungeon
20. Hug Wolf
21. Princess Monster Wife
22. Goliad
23. Beyond this Earthly Realm
24. Sons of Mars
25. Lady & Peebles
26. The Hard Easy
27. Reign of Gunters
28. Little Dude
29. Return to the Nightosphere
30. Daddy's Little Monster
31. I Remember You
32. Simon & Marcy

Season 3

1. Jake the Dad
2. A Glitch is a Glitch
3. Puhoy
4. One Last Job
5. Be More
6. Sky Witch
7. Time Sandwich
8. The Vault
9. Dungeon Train
10. Box Prince
11. Root Beer Guy
12. Rattleballs
13. Ocarina
14. Princess Day
15. Jake The Brick
16. Dentist
17. The Pajama War
18. Dark Purple
19. The Diary
20. Jermaine
21. Summer Showers
22. President Porpoise is Missing
23. Blank-Eyed Girl
24. Scamps
25. The Hall of Egress
26. Flute Spell
27. Don't Look
28. Lady Rainicorn of the Crystal Dimension
29. The Music Hole
30. Wheels
31. Preboot
32. Reboot
33. The Invitation
34. Whipple the Happy Dragon
35. Mysterious Island
36. Imaginary Resources
37. Hide and Seek
38. Min and Marty
39. Helpers
40. The Light Cloud
41. Mortal Folly
42. Mortal Recoil

so yeah some rearranging happened here like chopping out a Lot of subplots and even characters(Flame Princess almost completely disappears outside of a background cameo or two and Martin completely disappears outside of his Islands flashback appearances for two examples) and moving Mortal Folly & Mortal Recoil to the end to serve as a replacement finale(among the things I'd change if I revisited this concept would be rearranging the 3rd season so there's more of a breather between Islands and MF/MR happening)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pick posted:

Adventure Time had a significant strength in there being something for everyone; I felt it had fewer "good" or "bad" episodes than "episodes that were my style" and ones that were "not my style".

I mean ultimately, my favorite episode ended up being Box Prince which I don't think anyone else particularly even liked.

I liked it overall, though I felt the ending was kinda weak, but then that's the case for a lot of the show's episodes(indeed it was kinda a recurring problem with cartoons in that era, Regular Show also often had problems with weak episode endings)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

But enough about Stephen Universe (:ninja:)

Why do you keep using the wrong name?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's difficult to see how any child these days would sit through that rap segment, or the frequent call-outs to how it's a reboot of a show they never watched.

To be fair the original show has been on Hulu for like almost five years now so odds are actually decent that kids have watched at least some episodes of the original

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BexGu posted:

What the hell would a Velma origin story even be? A mousey girl goes to a store and buys a sweater?

Honestly I bet whoever pitched this originally had it be an original concept and they just retooled it to be about Velma to make it an easier sell

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Fox doesn’t own American Dad any more since the move to TBS.

Actually they still did(and thus Disney now owns it), TBS only bought the broadcasting rights for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Ohhh ok! Roger is a Disney Princess confirmed.

American Dad having a crossover with Lilo & Stitch would actually make more sense than most of the things that franchise had crossovers with during it's tv show

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So in the comic the whole big twist in episode 1(if I'm remembering which episode it happens in) ended up happening a lot earlier than Robert Kirkman originally planned because sales were sagging and he decided to take a risk doing it ahead of schedule, personally I wish he hadn't taken that risk so that both the comic and his career would have died instead, because then we'd be in a world without either Invincible or The Walking Dead and I feel our pop culture would be in a better place

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Irredeemable was poo poo from the first page(at least if I'm remembering the right hackneyed "Superman but he's evil" comic)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly of the various attempts at doing "Superheroes but Edgy" I'd say Uber is one of the only Western attempts at it that has actually felt like it was actually doing anything truly interesting and at least part of that is because it the only thing it actually takes from the Superheroes genre is people getting superpowers and doesn't waste one's time by doing a bunch of subversions of regular Superheroes tropes that had gotten worn out and tired within a year of Watchmen being published, let alone almost 40 years later

It's also one of the few comics I've read where it going ultra violent actually felt appropriate(since it is a WW2 comic first and foremost) rather than just coming off as needlessly grotesque and/or comedic in execution(which is one of Invincible's biggest failings in my opinion)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Aaron McGruder is involved with the reboot so it may be better than season 4 of the old series.

It might not automatically make it amazing, but he wasn't involved in season 4 and the drop in quality was pretty apparent.

Honestly season 3 wasn't very good either

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ccs posted:

Got to season 4 on my Venture Bros rewatch. I never saw this season! Sgt Hatred is an interesting character, audacious of them to make his urges a continuing part of the show. Though I suppose it’s a natural place to mine for comedy in a series about former boy adventurers. The Captain Sunshine episode was both hilarious and disgusting and also maybe a bit problematic for the way it equated pride symbols like rainbows on his costume with pedophilia.

The Monarch, Dr. Girlfriend/Mrs. The Monarch and Henchman 21 continue to be delightful. The show is becoming more and more reliant on its continuity in this season instead of being stand alone. Also far fewer female characters Hank and Dean’s age for them to interact with which is kind of shame, they’ve done funny stuff with that in the past.

I've talked about this in the past before but what makes Sgt Hatred work is that 1) they did a retcon that his pedophilia is artificially induced due to the Super Soldier formula he was exposed to, and 2) they make it very clear that he despises that aspect of himself very deeply

Also the joke with Captain Sunshine is that he comes off like a pedo but he's actually just a manchild

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

The idea that adults failing to communicate effectively is a plot hole is something that makes no sense to me.

Because like it happens a LOT.

Its one of those things that while realistic is also incredibly annoying and unsatisfying if used too often in fictional contexts

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

just another posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!
Especially Megg, Mogg & Owl based on the samples.

Have you read Achewood?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My guess is they originally had a concept completely unrelated to the whole Royal Family one and had to attach it in order to get any actual interest to make it, it's a way too common thing these days in the entertainment industry

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Final Space is dead due to the upcoming TBS merger with Time Warner

https://youtu.be/bFg3ljZF2kA

Kind of nice the creator can be so frank about it.

That's odd I could have sworn TBS was already part of Time-Warner due to them buying Ted Turner's companies back in the 90's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Exactly what I was going to say, I could have sworn that whole deal was where Cartoon Network came from in the first place

Well actually Cartoon Network had already been around for a couple years by the point the Turner buyout happened, I imagine the fact that Turner owned the largest animation library on the planet(including most of the cartoons Warner themselves had made back in the Golden Age of Animation thanks to a very complicated history of rights being sold and bought) was a bigger part of the equation than anyone at Time-Warner at the time would have liked to admit