Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Well if you're wondering what the Boondocks reboot might look like:

https://twitter.com/Robaato_Art/status/1139294008990150657

For context, this is the guy who's doing the Cryamore game, and did some stuff on the Street Fighter Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

Hey, what's the story with that JG Quintel show on TBS? I saw a commercial for it a while ago and have heard nothing since.

There's been info, but not a lot and I don't think all of its confirmed. What I've heard is that scripts for the 1st and possible(?) second season are completed but there's been some stuff that's been messing it up. Some are saying the Louie CK cartoon getting cancelled messed up the idea of a block with that American Dad, and Final Space so they sorta shelved it. And now with the AT&T merger it seems like TBS's programming is being shifted again, we're it looks like they'll stop being the ones to premiere animation at the very least (hence Final Space being premiered on Adult Swim first now). Because of that it looks like the JG Quintel show might be moving there, and also might be retooled from a half-hour show down to the usual adult swim 11 minute runtime, which sucks but what you gonna do, it's a mess

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's amazing how much less obnoxious they made the main character in the second season while still managing to keep him absolutely terrible.

I am so loving sick and tired of "creepy weirdo loser stalks his true love who is so far out his league but who eventually ends up with him out of pity and Stockholm Syndrome" plots.

I only made it through the series due to serious free time issues and my entire state being covered in choking smoke so that I had nothing else to do and nowhere else to go.

And I still regret watching it.

I think if they had begun with that alternate Gary from Season 2 it might’ve worked out better? As it stand I did enjoy it once the yelling and general creepiness was replaced with just him being more goofy but yeah, I think that 1st season is kinda a big thing that’ll taint the rest of the series regardless of how much it improves or not, it’s always gonna be the starting point and ehhhhh

I think the only way they could fix that is if they DIDNT get together at the end, but considering the buildup and all that, it’s slim to nil of that happening

cartoons123 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 27, 2020

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Daikloktos posted:

My only caveat is they didn't go straight to network with him. Or is that prejudiced these day?

Louie CK can basically be blamed for why Close Enough didn’t go to cable, and why the entirety of TBS doing animation mostly failed, Final Space aside. They were clearly banking on his star power and when all his grossness came out I guess they just have up. Least compared to Tarantula, Close Enough has a decent chance of getting a 2nd season

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

What did they do between creating seasons, because that seems like a lot of downtime.

Basically create the season, from what I understand it was a 2-person team and all that downtime was just a lot of preparing

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

I didn't even know it had an S3. drat.

I feel like that season had some behind the scenes troubles even beyond the loss of Charlie Murphy; at least half the main cast was gone between those two seasons

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Season 4 was really really terrible. It's kinda why i was hoping the reboot would be like Season 1 or 2. But that will never ever happen.

Ever.

Because we can never get GOOD things.

Thanks Sony.

Honestly while Sony can be blamed for lots of things, the Boondocks Reboot sounded like it was doomed to fail the second we lost John Witherspoon. Behind the scenes, it was implied his grandson would take over the voice but then he came out later and (in his words) said they sorta strung him along before deciding not to hire him, and they never found someone to replace him. Then add to that the tragic loss of Regina King’s son, so the likelihood of her feeling up to record was up in the air, it all adds up

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

https://screenrant.com/velma-show-mindy-kaling-scooby-doo-absence-explained/

okay so this was abso-loving-lutely an original pitch that they reverse-engineered into a Scooby show then, and also, I'm out. Scooby swearing is a cheap joke but it's still a joke.

Ever since that Kelly Turnbull tweet, I can only think the reason they didn’t put Scooby in it (if I give them the benefit of the doubt that this was always a Velma project from the start) is that if they put Scooby in it, parents will assume it’s a kids show despite the gore, and then they have to deal with bad PR from parents complaining about the show not meant for them.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Final Space was originally supposed to air in that TBS animation block that got shitcanned, along with Close Enough, right? Lord what a cursed group of projects.

Yeah as far as I understand it, TBS was planning to set up their own smaller Adult Swim, and they had two anchor shows for the block, American Dad and a Louis CK cartoon. And when he got dropped like a rock, TBS i guess decided to kill off the entire thing, and that set off a chain reaction that just messed with a whole bunch of shows. Another show that was made for that block, Tarantula, just ended up dropped on their cable app (not even like a streaming service) with no announcement and was canned like a month later

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

mostly that there aren't any more productions shut down :|

i'd like to see Midnight Fight Girl, and whether it has been moved to Adult Swim or not. I feel like that will tell us for sure if Discovery/Zaslav is going all-in on AS over CN

I have the feeling that it mostly likely will be Adult Swim, because well, where else is it gonna air. Cartoon Network doesnt even have 6PM anymore imao:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/adult-swim-expansion-nostalgia-block-checkered-past-cartoon-network-1235398446/

(It's weirdly morbidly funny how at least a couple of months ago, people were worried they were dropping Adult Swim, and it feels like instead the reverse is happening, where they're basically downplaying Cartoon Network beyond being the Kids Brand for Cartoons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

RandomReader posted:

Maybe they should stop hiding broccoli in my brownies then :P Market what you're making instead of epically subverting my expectations, it's not a crazy ask.

I mean to be fair (and I honestly don't think this is a spoiler since they've already said this multiple times in interviews, at comic-con, etc.) they have repeatedly said to not expect this to be a straight retelling of the books from almost the time it was announced.