Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Just watched it. I quite liked Hazbin, but i second concerns about where its going. There's no way they could keep that quality of animation and background detail up for a whole season, and its totally unclear what an average show would even be about. They don't get a single sinner to check in! It's all setup, like if Stargate ended with 'Hey we got the Stargate working! :D' instead of anyone stepping through it.

The Good Place kind of screws them too, imo. Even reading the premise of Hazbin made me immediately pondering the (blatant, upfront) corrupt incentives.

Also whats up with Vaggie, why is she in hell, all she ever does is be supportive and get angry at people wot who deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

the banter in HB is still really bad especially the "let's bleep every other word" gag. there were a couple of good sight gags and the cinematography was a lot less of a mess

but my main thing this time is what was with the cutaway montages. there were two of them and both of them were multiple scenes long and i wasn't sure if the show was trapped in a recursive cutaway for a while. if i was animation supervisor i would have suggested having running continuous music throughout each montage so that the viewer knows they're still in one

also like.. plot elements in the first cutaway were also plot relevant to the general story? my roommate thought that suddenly it became a trailer for theoretical future episodes. but then the kid returns... and... he was the target of.... someone?? was it the guy talking about global warming?? if not, who was the client... the newgroundsiness really eminated off of this one

(to be fair we sometimes talked over it so maybe i missed a plot detail that got burped out along with a bunch of maddox/seanbaby-era vulgarity)

It's easy to lose track of the original scene with those continuous shifting montages. Pretty sure thats why Family Guy et al only do one layer deep.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I thought it was reasonably entertaining to watch - i'm a sucker for musical numbers, and I liked the looney toons bits that turned off a lot of people - but the central conceit kinda hurts everything. Like these are terrible people, and they are shown being terrible, but you are supposed to root for them anyway because they are cool and they win fights... mixed messages at best. When people *arn't* terrible you are left questioning why they are in Hell, like with Girlfriend Character, who's never shown being anything but supportive of the protaganist.

That's without even questioning why Hell is just kind of yuppie life with superpowers. Or questioning why people can die again - do they just Real Die this time or what?

The Good Place it ain't.

There's also some weird stuff. You don't need a minutes-long lore dump to justify the name "Radio Demon" when the character design is literally a guy holding a microphone that also sounds like he's always talking through a radio. All they accomplished was writing fanfic-grade inconsistencies into the character in their own pilot!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I watched the first 3 episodes of Invincible and I think it’s loving awesome. It’s not perfect, it’s edited weird and the music isn’t as smoothly integrated into the show as it could be, but 3 episodes in I’m very intrigued and I like Mark a lot. The Pilot was intense.

Binged up to episode 6 and liking the show a lot. However, some people are not:

Not nutpicking, these are the top two 'reviews from the United States' on Amazon, though the show has 75% five star ratings.

Just wild that they're driven into a frothing rage by a villain ranting about old white slaveowners being oppressors. A villain.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 22, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Centaurworld S2 felt like they were squeezing every drop of blood out of whatever half decent gags they had, to the point where I got tired of some that were actually funny and began actively dreading the appearance of comfortable doug. And they just didn't know what to do with Wammawink anymore. I am glad they satisfyingly stuck the landing though, despite the general raggedness compared to S1.

jassa posted:

(Centaurworld S2) They really seemed to be going somewhere with Becky Apples, but then just... dropped that whole plot thread. Weird.

My wild guess is they just didn't want to throw a wrench in those relationships so close to the ending.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Becky Apples is just stone cold killer who doesn't need a fancy backstory or magic powers to save the day. Becky Apples gets poo poo done.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Honestly this gag isn't even THAT bad, I mean it is, but the fact that they put in the effort to animate a whole different style for the joke is actually good. Ya know what really kills this for me?

Cleveland going "have you ever heard of Leeroy Jenkins" and then Peter going "nope. now let's do a really long complicated plan" before actually starting the joke Like... come on. They do this all the time with jokes now. They say what the joke is and then do the joke. Cut out those things, do a quick planning bit and then just have Cleveland yell Leeroy Jenkins and cut to the game footage. And cut the game footage in half. Cut the whole joke in half. Why does every joke in Family Guy have to take so long. It's hard to salvage such a weak reference in 2022 but put a LITTLE more effort in

The comedy equivalent of triple spacing your essay in Size 24 font.

My completely baseless speculation is that it's a directive for X minutes of age-appropriate nostalgic references for the target market, or a complete lack of faith in their own ability to fill their airtime.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I just started watching 'Farzar' on a whim and I got all of 6 minutes in.

In that time there was
-a sounding joke, explicitly shown to children in-universe (yes, *that* sounding)
-a pedophilia 'joke'
-a joke intellectually disabled character who starts jerking off in public
-a fourth wall break

in addition, the protagonist names his team the 'S.H.A.T.', which the drug addict robot sidekick character immediately points out is the past tense of poo poo (why in gods name would you explain this).

a serious question in all earnestness: who is this show for?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Happy Landfill posted:

How soon did the Futurama/Rick and Morty joke happen?

I appreciate their obvious Leela-knockoff character, i.e. Hot Chick But With A Mutation But Don't Worry She's Still Hot

It was in the introductory cut scene explaining the sending. Right after the sounding joke!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Watched Bee and Puppycat after reading people talking about it. I had reservations but after watching it I love everything about the show. It's a weird drugged up fantasyland ?adventure? (is temp work an adventure?) that still maintains an internal logic to it; the combination manages to avoid lolrandom and instead be pretty compelling, especially when set against the otherwise mundane nature of character motivations and interactions for much of the show.

also just wanna say the Cardamom's school field trip episode feels sort of like a long-overdue fanfic for 'How Ms. Frizzle finally got a boyfriend'

also can we talk about the elephant in the room: the cult of Pretty Patrick. Mind control? Monkey paw? Just that pretty?

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 21, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Netflix's normal trick is to order long singular seasons that they cut in half and release as two separate seasons to get a longer show for cheaper, since there's some deal about how they're supposed to pay per season they commission. I don't know all the details.

I believe it's that there's all sorts of salary hikes built in when a show gets renewed for a second season.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Helluva Gig

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Having no knowledge of this controversy, I watched the video. I felt it made good points tho it could have been shorter (sigh). I don't think the Vivzie tweets really seem to be replying to it, for better or worse; I don't think the video dudes ever mention Vivzie in the video and are far more concerned with character arcs in toto than they are with individual episodes.

The TL;DR is that Helluva Boss went strong and hard early on with big dramatic deep dives on individual characters. This made for great episodes and a great first season, but as more episodes are released the show seems unwilling to commit to actually moving its characters forward at this rapid pace. So its ending up basically repeating plot points or stalling out unconvincingly, and has left dangling plot threads everywhere. The focus on character drama has also made the show start to lose connection with its premise - demons assassinating people on Earth - as well as the dramatic complications of that premise, namely the essential contribution of Stolas' grimoire to the business's mission.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pentyne posted:

It's insane that in such sort a time we've gone from entertainment media fellating Musk as a Modern Edison to making him the de-facto villain of society.

There was a mention of him early in Star Trek Discovery as a 'great man' in 2017 and in only 5 short years he's become the running joke for rich lovely tech rear end in a top hat.

Ahem, it was "a madcap hybrid of Thomas Edison, P.T. Barnum, Andrew Carnegie and Watchmen’s Doctor Manhattan."

the degree of boot licking cannot be understated

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Adult Swim is streaming 'Genndy Tartakovsky: A Legacy in Animation' on youtube right now with interview material interspersed with episodes of his work. Had no idea there was a banned Dexter's Laboratory episode - Dexter and Dede spent the whole thing literally cussing eachother out and then cussing out their mom.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess with most comic characters, there isn't even really the question of who is the "real" man between the alter ego and the common human identity. Nobody questions whether Spiderman is more the person than Peter Parker. It's just that with Superman and Batman, some other writers like to get kind of edgey about it. I guess also crossover and team-up stories don't often have time to bother with the characters' personal lives, so Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent don't show up in Justice League stories.

Sometimes it can even seem like the secret identity system is a relic of another time from how many more recent superhero things eschew it.
The team ups are a good point.

I think in the world of comic publishing, secret identities were useful to keep the world in stasis for dozens or hundreds of issues about a single character.

The MCU trends more towards lavish scifi epics where it is a given that the world is massively different than the one we know. And yeah, there's no time for personal lives, theres so much constant danger that heroism has to be a profession rather than a vigilante impulse.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

if anything i like metalocalypse more now than i did previously

the pickles rehab song is a thing of beauty

also "Help us, it's so gay to ask for help but I really don't wanna die, HELP!"

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 23, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

[British man chortling]

[chortling continues]

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Disenchantment isn't actually *bad*, really. It's just not good. So it gets probably more crap than it deserves, because people are disappointed and wanted more out of it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If its not got sex or violence in it, then its harder to define what makes it 'adult'. Sure, it can be targeted at adults, but its not much effort at that point to tone it down a little to pg-13 and target a broader audience. Thats where you get stuff like Lower Decks or YOLO Crystal Fantasy or Birdgirl or uh....Smiling Friends? Although that one was pretty dark.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i am a moron posted:

Well turns out this poo poo rear end service survived my streaming sub purge (must be tied to my apple account) and they’re running three unskippable ads before the show? What the gently caress

Paramount is somehow the worst streaming service. They try as hard as possible to make the experience suck.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Absolutely the funniest part of the Baldur's Gate 3 release was the contingent of people whining on forums that 'all the women are ugly', that western game companies and cinema 'don't understand beauty', and specifically contrasted western RPGs/cinema with JRPGs and anime. This, in a game that featured multiple female romance interests clearly designed as nerd fantasies.

In the context of the recent posts it kinda feels like that said contingent has been trained by certain gross tropes to expect those tropes and view those tropes as ideals, to the point of wanting to punish anyone who moves away from them. When they move outside that comfort zone they get confused, angry, and start blaming the wokes. So its like anime companies are in a pervy hell of their own making?

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 3, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

well when your daddy's a billionaire they let you make kind of cringe cartoons about yourself in jr high i guess

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i don't have enough knowledge to say if The Anime Feminist's posts are Wrong About Anime, but some of their columns were illuminating. I certainly didn't know i.e. there was active societal repression against suspected Otakus in the 90s cuz of a serial killer.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Centaurworld had a fantastic ending episode overall, but there's certainly been feuding about specific aspects of it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Data Graham posted:

What were those if it's not too much of a :can:? I missed whatever discussion took place around it.

Rider's sudden heel turn, the 'you're just a horse' moment, then making it look to all appearances she had died, but then actually nah she's fine. Personally, I'm ambivalent, but i can understand people having whiplash about it, especially as it came outta nowhere.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I liked digital circus but agree on it having some issues. There's some things which worked for a pilot but may not really work for a series. Mostly this revolves around the characters.

Kinger's most notable gag is easily losing track of people, then getting startled and screaming. This will get old approximately 5 seconds into episode 2. Otherwise, he's just some guy who hides in a pillow fort. There was an intimation of backstory though - one of the doors in the living hall had a picture of a queen chess piece.

Zooble is a cool concept and that she detaches into parts has some great opportunities for physical comedy. However, her design has difficulty expressing emotions or even indicating that she's talking. In fact her design seems to have issues literally moving at all. In the escalator scene, she just gets her head carried up.

Jax is slightly too mean, IMO. Knocking over Gangle was a step too far. He looks more like a bully than a cad. Also, this is a minor quibble, but I was bothered by how his mouth was animated. It just kinda gets shoved around and morphs in sometimes weird ways.

Gangle is a doormat that doesn't really do or say anything. And the show already has a doormat in Kinger. Gangle pretty much has two physical comedy jokes and that's it. Gangle has trouble even being seen because of the stringy nature of their body. Kind of a non-entity both physically and in the script - basically operating at replacement level.

Ragatha was fine other than leaning into the 'kinda losing it!' schtick a little too hard - twice in the pilot. Her 'glitched' sequences also dragged, and the visual/audio effect quickly became more kind of annoying than interesting. It's like using glitch text in a story - you do not use it for a whole paragraph because it really doesn't work.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The degree to which it blew up is insane. it had 11 million views when i watched it from the link posted here and that was only days after it released.

I guess thats the algorithm at work, get 1% more clicks per viewing than other content and suddenly its on the recommends of every kid on the planet

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What's the deal with the noticably poor frame rate on 3d animated cartoons anyway? Surely it can't be rendering expenses in this day and age.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

after seeing the recommendations here I gave Blue Eyed Samurai a go. Very cool, but i admit i had to laugh at the notion that smuggling a few thousand guns into japan could make one the (second?) richest man in the world

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mizu O'Leary

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah, Mizu's a mess of internalized racism. She can't fight society with a sword. So she's channeled her rage into a murder-quest that is more plausible and ironically also more allowable. Fortunately, her targets all deserve it.

It's notable that Fowler also seethes with rage over society's racism, although he is confronting it voluntarily and is making a huge amount of money from that choice.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dr.Radical posted:

One thing I find kind of interesting that western made stuff about samurai seem to go back to is how using guns is dishonorable and samurai don’t use them. But the Japanese had guns from like the 1500s from the Portuguese and hella used them in the Sengoku period? If getting killed with a gun was some great shame then there were a shitload of disgraced samurai

Someones buying those guns!

Like that guy who gets owned in episode 1

Perhaps they are trading women for guns. Honestly BES makes it seem like women were the actual currency of feudal Japan

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Laserhawk was intensely weird. Whenever you start to think you have figured out where the show is going, it grabs the wheel and forces the car offroad through a pile of flaming barrels and then ramps over a pit filled with radioactive waste.

Ultimately, the course changed so wildly I was unsure what connection the first episodes had with the last couple.

E: Also there's no blood dragons and Rex Colt is nowhere to be seen! Ptuh!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Animelancholia

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I don't think you were meant to root for Zeus. It was all his fault and he kept breaking his own rules. Zeus was only 'good' in that Hera insisted on punishing the blameless MC for Zeuses fuckups. P sure they killed Zeus at the end specifically to avoid a moral reckoning, Darth Vader style.

IIRC Right until the end the dude rejected the power of Zeus until it was that or die.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

Hell yeah, Royal Crackers is back Feb 29th. Season one definitely grew on me, especially as it got weirder.

Was this show always Cracker Metalocalypse

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

just made its goal of $1,000,000 with a few days to go.

That only gets it to 'Feature-length animatic' though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Larryb posted:

Was the original game any good? Like I said, I’d never heard of this until the release of the animated series was announced
it's a sprawling, complicated survival game with more content than quality, and with little in the way of modern refinement of the genre. But that huge pile of content is riding dinosaurs, people love dinosaurs~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bifner McDoogle posted:

The problem with this conceit, and part of the reason why I think people who dislike the show come down against it so hard, is that this is a really, really tired trope. Animated shows starring a naive protagonist that needs to grow up and contrasts comedy with existential horror are pretty common and not even exclusive to adult cartoons now.

It it worth checking out? Probably definitely worth a shot, there's a lot of animation and incredible performances. But it doesn't stack up to something like Centaurland, which succeeda everywhere Final Space failed and the villian is, not coincidentally, the kind of character someone like Gary becomes in real life.

Lets do Centaurworld, except make comfortable doug the main character