Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I am really good on Hazbin Hotel. The pilot wasn’t perfect but I liked it more than I assumed. In a nutshell, I enjoyed the world, liked the characters, and would like to see where this story would go if it was picked up. It’s a cool concept and while wasn’t explanation where the story could go with the premise, I’m still curious.

Some of the humour was eh like Angel Dust’s “Hurt me daddy” joke but some of the humour was very good like when Alastor asks Angel Dust what does he do and Angel answers “I can suck your dick” and Alastor’s “HA! No.” is so perfect.

There’s a value to what Hazbin Hotel is doing here. People call it tryhard and edgy when the whole point is subverting edginess. It’s literally about Charlie, who’s pretty much a Disney Princess in Hell, trying to redeem the awful people around her. The very spirit of the show is combating against that edginess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The Good Place kind of screws them too, imo. Even reading the premise of Hazbin made me immediately pondering the (blatant, upfront) corrupt incentives.

The angels are portrayed as horrible creatures through the eyes of the characters so a subversive look at the idea of heaven wouldn't surprise me. Plus the creator's previous work, IIRC, portrayed the Christian cosmology as being unjust and corrupt. So the cosmology of Hazbin being somewhat unfair.

I mean it seems like a lot of bad people ended up in hell but there's room in this story to explore injustices in afterlife judgment.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm not surprised that Helluva Boss is going over better on people who didn't like Hazbin Hotel. It's more straightforward so it moves at a click and has more time for comedic character interactions. I was a little surprised with how dark the comedy got especially since Hazbin Hotel's portrayal of Hell and the evil people who exist in it was restrained whereas Helluva Boss was like, what the heck let's murder a kid!

I love Blitzo's personality. He's diabolical and amoral but not uncaring for people he likes. The performance, of course, is great. In fact Blitzo's performance might be better than anything else, from Helluva Boss or Hazbin.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

TwoPair posted:

I guess I didn't really realize it until I heard Richard Horvitz (and then went back to check the rest of the cast and Hazbin's) but man, they've got like, actual pro VAs! I figured that the whole of both shows would be filled with a bunch of semi-professionals, the kind that are all over the internet in like, every youtube original or newgrounds cartoon*; but they've got people who've actually like, been in actual professional productions. Whatever kickstarter/patreon funded all this must've made some crazy bank.

*that's not to knock that crowd, everybody starts somewhere and there are legitimately talented people out there.

Hazbin definitely feels more like a pilot that's setting up for a long show with character arcs, while Helluva feels like a collection of shorts where no one will learn anything and will go right back to doing the same poo poo every episode, Looney Tunes-esque.

Hazbin wanted to squeeze a whole lot into just over 30 minutes. It's a show about big ideas, so there's a lot to explain in the pilot. Plus... it wanted to introduce a big handful of characters, so each one needs their screentime. PLUS... three musical numbers.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't the Hazbin Hotel person a pedophile

No

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The furry complaint is weird because there's a big difference between Loona, who's very much a furry's idea of a furry, and Alastor, who's just a human with some horns.

Even Husk who's very much an anthropomorphic animal, is just a cute humanoid cat thing.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Thanks, I hate it

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Got to the end of Carol & the End of the World and I'm okay on it. I think it's good but it doesn't use its premise to its fullest very often.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm genuinely curious what was the logic to making episode 9 of Carol. Why is that your penultimate episode? Are you just filling time?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I think episode 9 would have had a better effect on me if I was more sure of where Carol's emotional state was. Initially I thought it was her dreaming up and alternate universe where the Planet never appeared until I saw it somewhere in episode 9. If I knew where Carol was inside her head, I'd have more fun trying to interpret this "dream sequence".

That's also why I didn't adore the final episode. I didn't know where Carol was psychologically so the sentimentality of the episode didn't land for me even if the episode was directed well and still had a very arresting effect on me especially that ominous rumble towards the last few seconds of the show. That was a brilliant touch.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Also, in Carol & the End of the World, was it ever confirmed that the Ben Franklin guy shot himself with a 38 because .38 kept showing up on his calculator.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

On whim I bought the entirety of China IL on digital which feels like the proper way to come into that show. The difference between the first and second season is as noticeable as a bank explosion because the 11 minutes per episode in season 1 made everything move a lot quicker– the lack of room to breath. The compressed plot contributes to the sense of surrealism. Then season 2 comes along and makes everything 22 minutes per episode. I still like the show, in fact I like it more, but there was something unique about that first season but keep in mind I usually don't watch Adult Swim stuff.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I finished China, IL and generally liked it. Sometimes it was a little too gross for me but that goes for most media. Weird how "Magical Pet" was the note to play the show out on. I can't think of how I would end this show, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I watched clips of that X-Men 97 and I would believe that they used 3D models to block things and then draw over them because it didn't look like there was a lot of stretch and squish in the animation. Everyone looked Extremely On-Model at all times.