Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
One show that I feel like really doesn't get enough play is, HBO's Spawn animated series. The reasons for this are frankly pretty obvious- I mean, for one, it's loving Spawn. But, like, I've been rewatching it, and it's actually really loving good.

First and most obviously, the show's goddamn beautiful. It's clearly not incredibly high-budget, but there's enough love and care put into the aesthetic to blow right past that limitation. The way it uses light and shadow is just absolutely gorgeous and, even if it wasn't more Spawn, I'd loving love if another show looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjjj6smZP8

Past that, though, it's just a really bizarrely well-thought-out and well-written show given the source material. For any given Spawn character who shows up in this series, this is probably the best treatment they've ever been given; the Clown is probably the most unchanged, and even he's way more of a creepy sadistic rear end in a top hat than an outright wisecracker/exposition-bot. Spawn himself actually has a personality beyond "grumblegrumblegrumble WANDAAAAAAA grumblegrumble;" he actually has a legitimate character arc, where he begins as a sort of opportunistic street-predator obsessed with getting revenge and tying up his loose ends, and eventually sheds that in favor of protecting the homeless and downtrodden he lives among. Wanda, for her part, is actually a really strong character in this iteration, and gets at least one really fantastic subplot where she (a public defender) takes over a mentally disabled man's case and ends up blowing open a massive conspiracy.

As you might have also figured, this show is actually weirdly progressive. Like, I don't even know how this happened, but somehow this is an adult animated series with two black protagonists and a specific fixation on the welfare of the homeless and mentally disturbed, from the loving 90s. It feels bizarrely like something you'd see chuds bitching about nowadays, and I'm sort of curious if it got similar reactions back in the day, now that I think about it.

It's kind of like if Batman: The Animated Series got in a The Fly teleporter accident with a late-80s, early-90s anime OVA (which I guess isn't shocking, since Yoshiaki Kawajiri, director of Ninja Scroll, was the animation supervisor for at least some of it). If you have Prime, the whole thing's on there, and I believe it's also on Youtube in some form; I recommend Prime, because while the video quality isn't any great shakes on either, you'll probably miss the Todd McFarlane intros on the latter, and those are honestly cute and really sell the whole thing as an auteur-driven labor of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BexGu posted:

Can you guys go into why Season 3 of the Boondocks was so bad? I honestly don't remember it at all.

S3 was fine. S4 was absolutely dire, because without McGruder the characters all got flanderized to poo poo, the show became way more about Robert than Huey and Riley, and the political messages went from sometimes-questionable-but-usually-good to :yikes:.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Milo and POTUS posted:

They released a second season like a year ago now

Season 1 being a short season and forming a complete story with 2 makes a lot of people lump the two together. He's asking about season 3, which I'm also unclear on the status of.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

No.1 Special posted:

The Boondocks are back...on HBO Max. And it's a reboot.

https://boingboing.net/2019/09/18/the-boondocks-is-back-com.html

Don't know what this means for Adult Swim. They might be in trouble.

iirc The Boondocks was never something Adult Swim 100% owned so HBO probably just offered the other rights holders a bigger dump truck of money

I don't think there's any bad blood there or anything, and I don't even think it's a runtime thing since Rick and Morty is 30min and they greenlit a billion more seasons of that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand, if they were transitioning AS to 15 minute blocks entirely and moving half-hour projects to HBO Max, moving R&M to HBO Max would be a loving massive feather in that service's cap.

It would also probably be the pulled Jenga block that makes the entire Williams Street tower collapse, since I gather R&M and Dragon Ball Super are almost literally the only two things on the block with any notable viewership, which might be why they're not doing it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't the Hazbin Hotel person a pedophile

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I seem to remember that being kind of the tip of the iceberg and there was more and worse, but it also might be some poo poo that came from KiwiFarms or similar and took on a life of its own, so I'm not really sure

I just know most of my leftie friends liked it for about five seconds and then turned on the creator hard the second any of that came out

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

What's the story behind how Space Ghost just sort of slowly petered out rather than being explicitly cancelled? Did they just like, get tired of doing it but nobody had bothered to actually set up any kind of contractual obligations for delivery of seasons so episodes were finished basically whenever enough people bothered to come to work at the same time or something?

Adult Swim kind of just doesn't do strict season scheduling for stuff from the olden days. See also, Venture Brothers.

On top of this, most of the people involved just moved on to other things over time, and with C. Martin Croker having passed away in 2016, they'd have to do any new stuff without Zorak or Moltar or recast those voices, which probably isn't an appealing thought (especially since Croker got hosed bad by Williams Street and died broke, iirc).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

Oh yeah I don’t mean they should make more now or anything, it’s just that in like 2002 it sort of ... faded away with no explanation. Episodes got cheaper looking and farther between and more experimental and weird, and then it was gone like the signal to the satellite had finally dropped leaving us to guess at its fate.

the impression i've gotten is that, if the people involved weren't busy and the money was there, they were 100% happy to make more and it wasn't cancelled, it just wasn't on any kind of schedule (plus the Gametap move, because they stepped in when Williams Street's funds were tied up in everything else).

the problem is that, after 2002, basically everyone involved in the show was busy to varying extents, Williams Street had a lot more on their plate financially with AS becoming a full-on Thing, and... then Croker passed away and made it basically impossible to revive.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I just watched the first 5 eps of Primal on HBO Max and :stare: :stare: :stare:

THIS loving SHOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah I just caught up on Primal and uh

binging from Coven of the Damned straight to the finale was an experience :stare:

this show deserves loving awards, if Coven of the Damned specifically doesn't end up going up for Emmys and poo poo I'm gonna be very very annoyed. that might actually, without exaggeration, be one of the greatest half hours of animation i've ever seen.