Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Man it's ridiculous that they haven't aired Close Enough (the Regular Show spiritual successor being made for TBS) yet, we've gotten to the point where we're getting stuff from shows that people who left close enough are involved in (like how a pair of former Close Enough boarders became a board team on Victor & Valentino and their V&V eps have already aired)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Fabulousity posted:

While it's not technically "adult animation" I saw that Viacom sold the Rocko's Modern Life movie project to Netflix last month. The original Rocko was really subversive or just straight up perverse at times for a "kids" show, so I'd guess the twenty year later movie under the helm of Netflix will give up all pretense and just go full on adult.

Eh while Netflix got the rights to distribute the movie, it was 100% completed back when it was intended to air on Nickelodeon (kinda like how Neo Yokio was produced for the ADHD block but got picked up by Netflix already finished due to being in limbo due to the block being cancelled)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

edit: nevermind I'm a dumbass and got character names mixed up so lemme post about something else instead

Anyone watch Ballmastrz: 9009 last year?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Plus Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal is being done at a French studio
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1152478801781301248?s=21

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Labes for days posted:

That’s incredibly depressing. I remember her from her DeviantArt days and didn’t realize it was the same person behind Tucca and Bertie. (Which I’ll be honest, I watched a couple of episodes and it didn’t really click.)

Maybe I'm misreading what you said, but Coelasquid isn't the tuca and bertie person, she's just taking about her own experiences as insight

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

oh dang the first ep of Primal is on the adult swim website

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

HBO GO
HBO NOW
HBO MAX

HBO Go gently caress yourselves

I already have HBO GO and all this poo poo is just making me want to cancel entirely

actually apparently if you have GO or Now you're gonna get Max for free

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't the Hazbin Hotel person a pedophile

I heard a lot of different things about a lot of different "problematic" stuff but at the very least I saw someone point out that the thing she did that's getting the pedo accusation is "have a pair of OCs she shipped together where one's 17 and the other's 19". There could def be more to it than that and I might look back on this later and be like "oh I was wrong" but for now :shrug:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

yeah you gotta be careful with this type of stuff. I'm def more likely to trust it than some rando alt-righter sticking their fingers in their ears but still. And sometimes people who actually did do a lotta bad poo poo sometimes get extra stuff they're actually innocent on/got telephone gamed into something worse thrown on as well, just because one specific "oh did you hear about this poo poo they did" is false doesn't mean it all is.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Bro Dad posted:

Meanwhile loving Mr. Pickles still keeps getting renewed

apparently they killed him off in the season 4 premier and the rest of season 4 is billed as it's own show, "Momma Named Me Sheriff"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I just watched the first ep of Momma Made Me Sheriff and it's not as unappealing as Mr. Pickles was. "Incompetent sheriff and his straight man deputy go on weird, sometimes grossout misadventures" probably helps ground the show a bit more than "edgy dog does grossout murders" (though I've heard that people who actually stuck with Mr. Pickles felt that it got better overtime, so that probably feeds into that)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I've got the middle position of this discussion which is that the fact that they didn't intend it means they shouldn't go and be metaphorically tarred and feathered and labeled as antisemites, but it's still worth criticizing and worth learning from to avoid repeating in the future. Also the fact they themselves are of said minority doesn't invalidate people being offended by this, but it does help support the benefit of the doubt that they didn't intend to do so.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1207835835841830912

Jesse "Jmoyns" Moynihan confirmed to be art director

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

I didnt know adventure time was getting HBO specials (mentioned in the article). Do those have any original staff involvement in them? A quick google didnt seem to indicate so

at bare minimum Adam Muto, Jack Pendarvis, and Hanna K Nystrom are all confirmed

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

trailer for Midnight Gospel is out now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJQ3i9HafY

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/DigammaFWau/status/1245473421305106434?s=20

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Worth noting that apparently most or all the audio used in Midnight Gospel comes from co-creator Duncan Trussell's podcast

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

episode 6 is mostly unique plot stuff, the podcast stuff is relegated to the end (though I don't recommend skipping ahead just to see it)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

from what I heard the nexus of TBS's attempt at a prime time animated block just puttering out was the Louis CK scandal resulting in them cancelling a show they were making called The Cops (which would've starred CK): Final Space was the only non-American Dad show to come out of it unscathed (though it moved to Adult Swim after season 1), Tarantula was dumped all at once on the TBS website, and we've been talking about what happened to Close Enough (also the 2nd season thing is legit)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Apparently word on the grapevine is that Close Enough episodes were produced as 22-minutes (as in, even fully animated) but got cut down to 11-minutes late in production

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

actually a 2nd season has been unofficially confirmed (shows up on some people's resumes)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I like how pretty much every animation professional I follow on twitter basically went

"no"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess it's impressive that so many people have changed their minds about the cartoon after learning about the abuse.

honestly I'm seeing even people who loved the OG show despite it all be like

"no"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I haven't seen much Ren & Stimpy but the post-John K episodes I remember being good were the ones directed by Chris Reccardi and he died in a surfing accident last year

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Daikloktos posted:

I just wish I had more experience with 4chan /co/ to measure exactly how hard they went in on Hazbin vs the typical jack darling of the season

I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet so I didn't directly go into any threads but from what I could gather it was very polarizing with a ton of people there who loved it and a ton who hated it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Animated shows specifically tend to get at least two seasons off the bat, assuming the executives in charge don't want to cancel them immediately. Animation requires a lot of time and effort, so they can't leave the crew waiting for ratings results if they want the second season to come out the same time as the first.

Yeah it's generally either this or partway though season 1's production (i.e. not immediately off the bat, but still before the show actually airs)

You can often tell when it doesn't happen to a show because there's often a big hiatus between seasons (see: a lot of adult swim shows, Mao Mao)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

hell yeah I too have a poo poo ton of :words: about Primal from a purely technical perspective. Some random unorganized thoughts:

• Instead of being outsourced to Korea like most Genndy tv series (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack's original run, and Sym-Bionic Titan were all Rough Draft Korea, while Jack season 5 was Digital eMation with a single Rough Draft episode), it's animated in France by Studio La Cachette.
  • One of the writers/storyboard artists is David Krentz, who's an actual Paeloartist, though Krentz was in Genndy's "circle" for a while before Primal (for example he co-wrote/storyboarded the 3rd ep of Samurai Jack season 5). Notably his Primal episodes (A Cold Death and Plague of Madness) actually had him involved in the pre-boarding story writing, and were solo-boarded instead of being co-boarded with Genndy.

okay that list was shorter than I'd thought it would be but yeah

edit: turns out this finale was another Krentz ep (down to him getting story credit again)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 2, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

What if I told you that the epilouge season was about how the events of the original show hosed Steven up bad

Bust Rodd posted:

or, ya know, hire some black animators to make sure it’s handled respectfully.

To be fair the show did in fact have multiple black artists (in fact the controversial art book design was drawn by one of them; not that that doesn't make it racist but its easier to understand how that would disarm anyone from realizing it looked sus)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I fell off around the Orgalorg arc ending in a wet fart, but apparently it got better?

Honestly production season 7 (the way CN advertised the later seasons didn't line up with how they were written/produced) is probably one of the best seasons in the show's run (certainly the best season from the Adam Muto as showrunner era). Production season 8 is also really good (to the point where I would not look at people who would say it's better than season 7 funny). The final season is kinda duddy because it was only 12 episodes and an hour special and also wasn't written to be the final season in mind until they found out CN wouldn't give them any more episodes and they had to retool the hour finale (which was originally meant to basically segue into the planned final season). It probably would've still been an eh season even if they did get the final season they wanted, but it wouldn't have had that "this is the final season and it's kinda a dud" hanging over its head.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

Which were the AT seasons that had a lot of episodes that just kinda made all the long-running story arcs fizzle out in their concluding episodes? I think it was the season with the Orgalorg episodes.

Yeah that was Season 6. Season 7 was the season with Stakes, and season 8 had both Islands and Elements

Orgalorg was actually going to be the antagonist of the scrapped mid season 5 hour special, which from what we know sounds like was just a mess of ideas (that were later mined and incorporated into season 6's general arc)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

People don't give Tom Herpich and Steve Wolfhard enough credit

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

one thing a lot of people tend to overlook is that Pen actually stayed involved in the series a while after he stepped down as showrunner: while he stepped down mid season 5, he didn't stop being consistently involved in episode outlines until mid season 7 (and still contributed stuff from time to time)

Also worth noting that there was a consistent-ish (as in every so often some people would phase out and get replaced with new people, but individual core writing team member's time on the show could still be measured in seasons) core outline writing team. While boarders did have a ton of influence on how the final eps turned out from said outlines (and by later seasons boarders coming up with their own outlines was common, though said core writing team still had input on said outlines). Hell you could actually use Mortal Folly and Too Young as examples: the reversal of bubblegum's deaging was due to the writers (the core writing team didn't have any change ups between said eps) just realizing they didn't actually like the idea, not that different writers had different ideas, and both episodes share a storyboard artist. On the other hand Too Young does show how much influence boarders could have on the final ep as well: apparently the original outline had the antagonist of the ep be Bubblegum's Uncle, who the boarders thought was just kind of a dull rear end in a top hat, so they completely retooled him into Lemongrab.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

plus he was already a writer and voice actor on Fish Hooks

Man it's crazy how many notable people (both in a already well known from previous stuff sense and a would go on to become a major figure sense) worked on Fish Hooks

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

You can tell Unicorn isn't actually an Adult Swim show and was put on the channel last-ish minute, with a TV PG rating (like CN's flagship shows from the early 10s), and they're even rerunning it on the actual programming block on Cartoon Network proper that it was meant for (Acme Night, a programming block that airs Sundays from 6-9 that airs movies and occasional shows that are aimed older than main CN programming like Bob's Burgers). Wouldn't be surprised if it's gonna be a similar situation with that Superman show.

wikipedia posted:

In addition to its Adult Swim airings, the series will run weekly encores on Toonami, as well as rerunning on Cartoon Network's ACME Night programming block. Michael Ouweleen claims this is because “By programming this during peak hours and re-airing across multiple dayparts, we are ensuring that all generations of animation fans can see this event-level series.”

Anyways I hope it doesn't whiff the ending like some of Genndy's other recent stuff.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 7, 2023

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I've been enjoying Unicorn well enough, but I feel like it's finally hit it's stride with this episode; things weren't quite clicking with the previous eps in a way I can't quite explain. It is interesting to see how the animation mostly has completely different vibes from Primal even though the animation is being outsourced to the same studio (Studio La Cachette in France).

Xelkelvos posted:

So it's like PG13 or R rated version of Gumball?

Not even R-rated, just PG; you can tell it wasn't meant to be on Adult Swim originally, the most adult moment is a bit in the 3rd episode involving the fact that the animated Greek statues sent to attack the heroes have dicks (which aren't even shown on screen and no one says they have dicks, just trying to talk around it); basically the show's on the same age-rage as Sym-Bionic Titan, so the whole thing comes off as very tame by Adult Swim standards.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Neeksy posted:

I legit don't trust him to land endings, thus I wait until they're fully done before I check them out anymore.

Imagine the sheer irony of if Genndy's weakest (writing wise) modern show ended up getting the least-whiffed ending

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Unicorn's been like some bizarro version of Samurai Jack season 5 where instead of starting out firing on all cylinders then starting to slip mid-season and ending with a wet fart, it instead has started out kinda shaky and not quite clicking but has steadily been improving in quality.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Bula Vinaka posted:

Wonder if it's the same voice actor who's going to do Rick & Morty.

imagine the reaction to a nonbinary drag queen that guest starred on Steven Universe being the new voice of Rick and Morty

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Neeksy posted:

I've been rewatching the show, and Treetrunks shows up as an extra in episodes between her explosion and revival, so the show definitely wasn't entirely adhering to a strict continuity until it started to build up enough backstory.

those episodes actually aired out of production order; season 1's airing order and production order is a bit of a mess (it doesn't help that various season 1 episodes getting scrapped meant that their production codes would be recycled for later season 1 episodes). for example, according to the old frederator blogs (which nowadays you'd have to wayback machine to see), the first 4 episodes produced were The Enchiridion (which is "officially" episode 3 and ended up airing as episode 5), Prisoners of Love (officially episode 5 and aired as episode 3), Evicted (episode 12, and is one of the eps where Tree Trunks shows up even though it aired after her focus ep), and Ricardio the Heart Guy (episode 7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Larryb posted:

Huh, I never knew that but it makes a lot of sense. Did any of the other seasons air some episodes out of order?

seasons 2-5 mostly aired episodes in order with the occasional odd episode out of place episode (usually not causing problems) but like the middle stretch of season 6 also had a bunch of eps pulled out of place early. Season 7 also appears to be a bit of a jumble at times (there's a few eps that were meant to be pre-Stakes and between Stakes and the Moe christmas special that didn't air until afterwards, for example)