Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

from what I heard the nexus of TBS's attempt at a prime time animated block just puttering out was the Louis CK scandal resulting in them cancelling a show they were making called The Cops (which would've starred CK): Final Space was the only non-American Dad show to come out of it unscathed (though it moved to Adult Swim after season 1), Tarantula was dumped all at once on the TBS website, and we've been talking about what happened to Close Enough (also the 2nd season thing is legit)

also TBS has always been terrible at original programming, all of the most successful stuff is either Tyler Perry or stuff that they acquired basically fully formed from other places (American Dad, Conan). Even the good stuff doesn't last long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

One of the things I think I like the most about Takes Off is that it finally acknowledges Julie's villain potential and just catapults her up to the top of the heap by paring her with Gideon. I would like to see them in action in a second season because they actually balance each others' shortcomings really well: Julie can keep Gideon focused so he's not a capricious dipshit any more, and Gideon gives Julie the means to finally unleash her inner super villain that's struggled to find an outlet across the franchise so far.

It was the most unexpected pairing, and yet also the most obvious pairing in hindsight.

The major writing problem they had to solve to make this plot work was “how do we get the exes to Toronto without the overarching plot of ‘they need to beat Scott’” and when the initial reveal of Gordon Goose and how he is actually Canadian and went to the same high school as Julie happened I rolled my eyes extra hard because I thought it was gonna be incredibly lazy but they sold it well.

I’d say the things that I had the biggest issue with were Envy and Todd and the movie plot more generally. There’s enough payoff for the concept as a whole (Lucas as Scott is funny, having the script be a failed attempt by future Ramona to fix future Scott’s gently caress-up) but then they spent a second episode on it making a very inconsistent documentary spoof (a trope that is overused enough that you have to something really great with it to justify it these days) with a whole bunch of even more meta jokes that weren’t particularly funny or insightful or original. The worst part was Todd deciding to be an actor with no experience and very little warning because “I’m a rock star and I can do whatever the gently caress I want”, which was really lazy and what made it even worse that it was also basically the same justification Envy gave in the previous episode so it really feels like the writers just giving up and saying “look this is what the plot needs to do”. I think by virtue of the story being much more about Ramona and fleshing out her exes, Scott’s got the shaft a little, Envy most of all (unless you count Lisa), but in that case they probably should have had the courage to just not have Envy show up so much instead of shoehorning her in. I loved her turning the funeral into an event all about her but I think if she had just not showed up after that it would have been better.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

That was why they continually associated Scott with the number zero in the movie, not because he was a loser, but because he was Evil Ex #0.

I get this from a thematic perspective but also that’s not how numbers work

Also just so it doesn’t sound like I’m doing nothing but complaining because I did like it a lot, I think the glow-ups Knives and Matthew Patel got were both awesome. At the end of the movie Knives (correctly) says that she’s too cool for Scott but she never really gets an opportunity to be cool aside from the last battle because she’s so busy plotting revenge. Making her a musical savant is great because she’s clearly passionate about music and having her go on and be a way better musician than the guy she “dated” also just makes thematic sense.

For Matthew it’s the fact that for once he’s not just the guy at the beginning explaining the rules and then getting bounced. Him being a big theater dweeb makes perfect sense and after he kills Scott and realizes that he’s actually capable of being cool, using that newfound knowledge to gently caress Gideon up is the actual big twist because you just assume power levels would scale linearly but he’s actually just as strong, which tracks with all the cool magic he has.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Holy cow everyone who said Bee and Puppycat had an abrupt ending were not lying, it felt like they just hacked 90 seconds off or something, very anti-climactic. Definitely need more even though I have no idea what that would look like

I don’t think I’ve vibed as hard with a show in a while (or since Bocchi the Rock ended at least), the score and the color palates and the character designs (both human and not) were all the exact right kind of off kilter, and the combination of chill, silly, malaised and fantastical is very unique. Also Puppycat is a little gremlin which is why it’s extra funny that he’s canonically Space Pirate Bishounen Steve Blum. All the voice actors they got were great too, the main cast were all very cool even if most were fairly unknown and then people like Stephen Root and Jennifer Tilly popping up also ruled. Bee is intensely relatable.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/HW-MMu4GLWk?si=LnEqq8W80R64PxX5

Theme song MV, good rear end OP. For those of us who were a little disappointed at how much of the movie’s soundtrack was missing there’s a nice little surprise at the end

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's just one of those cases where Japanese ratings boards aren't nearly as bothered with nudity as American ones, and in this case they couldn't be bothered censoring it.

It’s funny what gets things censored in Japan vs the US versus Japan

Japan: no beheadings
US: no nipples

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/lsupersonicq/status/1759287817165742323?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Weird look into an alternate reality where Boondocks was airing alongside new episodes of Family Guy instead of… after reruns of Family Guy

edit: it’s funny because the Boondocks strip always looked like McGruder learned to draw from reading manga so this is anime influence filtered through the Western style of the time, where the AS show made the correct decision to just make it an anime. Also there’s no way it would have been as good on Fox, they would have cut and run well before they got to the point where Tyler Perry had to threaten legal action and that would have been a shame

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://x.com/beeandpuppycat/status/1771966499210592291?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

The soundtrack for Bee and Puppycat is one of its best parts, I preordered immediately after seeing this