Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

readingatwork posted:

Also, I really hated the by-the-book way the show handled the topic of marriage this season. For those who haven't seen it the season opens with her mom giving Retsuko poo poo for not dating. Then while getting a driver's license (which is apparently a big enough deal in Japan to warrant putting it on a resume) she ends up dating a super-nice slacker guy who turns out to be a tech startup billionaire. The catch is that he doesn't want to get married or have kids. Ultimately she dumps him because she realizes that that marriage is something she does want after all. This is fine I guess but I really wish the show would have done it the other way around. Imagine if the billionaire slacker guy was the one who wanted kids and the relationship ends because Ritsuko decides it's not something she wants. Now you have a show that tells women that it's OK to choose your own path and buck society's script for you. But despite being about how bullshit modern living is Aggretsuko isn't interested in upsetting the apple cart at all which is really a bummer.

Japan has the oldest average population in the world and is rather desperate to get young people to want to have families and children. It's really no surprise at all that the show would push for that.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I probably would have at least been middle of the road towards Mr. Pickles if it didn't have that thing where everyone is YELLING THEIR LINES.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

readingatwork posted:

That’s putting it mildly. It basically IS Regular Show with human characters (not a bad thing)

Except Mordecai married Eileen.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

They don't know who Ryan Seacrest is but they're familiar with Game of Thrones..

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Daikloktos posted:

Before they jumped to Adult Swim to make Xavier: Renegade Angel, The Heart She Holler, and currently The Shivering Truth, PFFR did a kid's show parody Wonder Showzen for MTV2 airing alongside Beavis and Butthead reruns and FYAD reject Andy Milonakis' self titled vehicle. Here's a 4 page GBS thread from a few months back that starts out lamenting how underknown it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdOGsWq9oM

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but man do I not 'get' these shows. If they're supposed to be funny I guess I don't understand the humor, and if they're not supposed to be funny I have no idea what they're going for. I've seen episodes of all these shows and they may as well be tablets carved in Sanskrit for all I get out of them.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty surprised that everybody's already down on it even without John K's involvement. Like I personally hate it automatically because I hated the original show and don't think the IP has anything to offer the current era, but I always got the impression that a lot of people somehow remembered it fondly.

I guess it's impressive that so many people have changed their minds about the cartoon after learning about the abuse.

Abusive creator aside, I think that Ren and Stimpy has not aged well at all.

Edit: Everything Ren and Stimpy did, Rocko's Modern Life did better.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I believe the idea is that the New Order had just tracked them through hyperspace, and while the audience knows it's some new technology of theirs, the best assumption the rebels could make is that someone on board is a mole. With that in mind, sharing the plan with anyone is dangerous, since even if they aren't the mole they could end up telling the mole and ending any chance they would have of getting anywhere safely.

But with that being said, the movie really could have used a moment alone with Holdo where she's working out her assumptions and decisions.

That would have made sense, but the movie always picks the worst option. We see Leia show off that she's got some sort of doodad that will allow Rey to find them once she finds Luke, and then in the very next scene they find out the First Order is tracking them. These two things must be connected, right? Nope. Okay, then there's a spy on board. makes sense, since tracking through hyperspace is supposedly impossible. Nope, some random rear end security guard not only knows the First Order has this technology, but how it works and exactly how they implement it.

It's just badly written.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like it's a show that is based on the idea of a lot of the characters being diegetically unfunny and annoying

Ahh yes. The fabled 'Tim and Eric' style of comedy.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They did a bunch of quick sight gags showing how EVERY character dies six feet under style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5Mn1Biqeg

I do appreciate that they went with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Bart.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf does really great stoof and you may have seen these essays elsewhere online but it’s a great breakdown of what the Simpsons was, what is is, and why.

I appreciate you posting these critiques, because it distillates a huge problem I've had with modern Simpsons that I don't think I could have articulated on my own.

"Whereas 'classic' Simpsons mocked celebrity, new Simpsons worships it."

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Shindragon posted:

The crappy thing is the one who started the tweet didnt wanna cause drama/cancel but twitter being twitter uses it as platform to air out their personal grief/slight against her. I have no doubt some people had bad experiences working for Viv/studio but its definitely being a little drowned out by the mob.

"I don't wanna cause drama but I'm going to make a big post in public how my former boss, whom I shall call out by name, is an abusive rear end in a top hat."

Yeah, right. No drama.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

I hate to do this, because I agree with the overall sentiment, but Homestar does have problems with has and have, at least so far as the slogan for the Homestarmy goes.

"Do you has the five bucks?"

Still to this day I have a bad habit of leave for work in the morning without phone, keys, glasses or some other essential item. I have a printed out Homestarmy 'Do You Has?' poster by my bedroom door with those items listed on it.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Das Boo posted:

I took your good lucks and got the Helluva Boss gig. :yaycat:

Congratulations! Look forward to seeing your work!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Sockser posted:

What the gently caress

How have I never heard of this before?

My guess would be 'because it looks terrible.'

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

mutantIke posted:

Downtown is one of the better one-season wonders. I'd put it juuuust below Mission Hill. Fun fact: it contains the first ever joke in a TV show poking fun at furries!

Downtown got us Megas XLR, so it's great just for that alone.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

My sister works as a volunteer at Comic Con every year, and one of her tasks is usually to help out presenters and hosts of one of the awards shows, I think the Eisners. Anyways, she tells me this year one of the people she's going to be working with this year is Maurice LaMarche, and since I'm such a big animation fan is there anything I'd like for her to pass on from me. I told her, 'Yes. Please ask him what he can tell me about a remote farm in Lincolnshire.'

This morning I woke up to a video from her, consisting of a man looking into the phone camera. When I play it, I hear him say, "Well, Andrew, to answer your question: We know of a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July in the summer, peas grow there- You really mean that?" And he went on to do the first minute or so of the whole bit, both parts, in full Orson Welles/The Brain voice.

I think my life is complete, now.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Dude, what are you dancing about, here? You're poor.

Edit: Isn't it clear that I'm just gonna completely f*urp* your rear end up, if you don't take three steps back? It's not, is it? You just look at me. Look at him lookin' at me!

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 31, 2023

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Das Boo posted:

You're on the TV, man! Check out uh, channel... 666, that's weird.

Man, we should've cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo poo.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

The Awesomesaurus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lnLiJNRYAA

Whoever they got to voice Moltar is really accurate, and while Zorak sounds more like his 60’s cartoon self, it’s really good too.

Also weird seeing Brak be the leader of the pack.

This got me down a rabbit hole and I should be paying more attention to this show. I didn't realize it was made by the guy who made Chowder, but I definitely see the two share the same sort of energy and humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Warbird posted:

Invincible is back for anyone that forgot (read: everyone). Goddamn JoJo rear end release schedule. I’m happy they’re getting money from the streaming services but this is an absolutely rear end way of releasing stuff.

Kid, let me tell you about being a fan of a little cartoon called The Venture Brothers....