Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, I'm hearing Final Space gets better?

I just caught the first episode on TV and it was not good.

Wow, was it not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's good to hear.

I did like everything except Gary in the first episode and was hoping they'd dial him back a bit lot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
HBO remains unavailable in Australia :(

Let me give you my money :argh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Come And See posted:

It's like Villainous and tumblr had a baby. Overly busy, doesn't direct the eye well and doesn't linger on its payoff frames long enough. It's as pleasant as watching a strobe-light.

I wanted to like this but, yeah, that was pretty much my opinion of it, too.

Though, I was almost hoping for more of an Ugly Americans version of hell rather than the 'ADHD children who swear' version Hazbin Hotel went with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Escobarbarian posted:

Is this where I talk about the Harley Quinn show because god drat that first episode was funny as hell

You have no idea how surprised I am to be agreeing with you on this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It really is. I have no idea what the people in the BSS thread are on about.

It's comics/cartoons, you're allowed to have different versions of the same character.

Kite man

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Harley Quinn show is continuing to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Also, this is the first time I think I've ever enjoyed Poison Ivy. Usually her character is so one note it's embarrassing, but her world weary big city girl routine is just great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Come And See posted:

To everyone who said "Final Space season 1 isn't great, but season 2 is much better!": gently caress You.

It's amazing how much less obnoxious they made the main character in the second season while still managing to keep him absolutely terrible.

I am so loving sick and tired of "creepy weirdo loser stalks his true love who is so far out his league but who eventually ends up with him out of pity and Stockholm Syndrome" plots.

I only made it through the series due to serious free time issues and my entire state being covered in choking smoke so that I had nothing else to do and nowhere else to go.

And I still regret watching it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You can find a lot of the later Futurama seasons on youtube.

I think I mentioned before that I watched every one as they went to air, but I've seen a lot of episodes now on youtube which I have absolutely no memory of because they're just so forgettable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Alhazred posted:

Well, you're poo poo out of luck then. Season 2 is so devoid of new ideas that it has the same plot twice: maintenance robots going bad and trying to kill the human protagonist.

The one with the train and the tall grass was so loving uninspired and by the numbers.

I was waiting for some twist to bring it together and make the previous 11 minutes worth watching, but it never came.

EDIT - but I have to give props to the Xmas one. That's the poo poo I signed up for.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 19, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Agreed. With the first season of Love Death Robots, even the ones which weren't that great I felt like they were still worth my time. It's like someone told the creators of season 2 to aim for poignant and pointless, while the first season they just said, "Go loving wild."

What was even the point of the last one with the giant?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unreconstructed #StillWithHer is apparently a pretty common attitude in the entertainment industry. See also about the only coherent reading of the whole Holdo thing in The Last Jedi.

Is it that Holdo was an idiot?

EDIT: To be fair, every character in that movie acted like an idiot at drat near every opportunity.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Indeed. Though more that the aristocratic calm white woman spends the movie talking down to the hot-blooded bro (who happens to be Latino) to stop questioning her and support her unwaveringly because She Has A Plan and he should be respecting the chain of command (despite that never, ever being a thing with the Rebels or Resistance) and she would have saved them all if it weren't for all the minorities refusing to do what they're told. (Some suspect that it was supposed to be old white guy Han Solo she was calling out for his cowboy ways, but he's dead, which may be its own fitting analogy on top of all that)

It may seem contrived, but it's pretty much the only explanation I've heard that actually makes that whole plot make any sort of coherent sense.

Even the best reading of her actions is still terrible. There's literally no reason for her not to tell Poe her plan. In fact, if your plan is "we need to do precisely this and nothing else or we're all going to die," then you need to be communicating that with your crew of incredibly capable and independent people used to taking instant action as they see fit when you need them to sit down and be quiet for a while.

Instead, after first allowing him to take an attack wing of fighters and bombers right out from under her nose at the start of the movie because she didn't communicate with her people, she spends the rest of the movie not communicating with her people as they again run around under her nose desperately trying to save their friends.

But she made a noble sacrifice!

Yes, defending the Rebellion who, by the end of the movie, had been so reduced in numbers that the entire Rebel Alliance could fit aboard the Millennium Falcon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

Inside Job comes from Gravity Falls writer Shion Takeuchi, with Alex Hirsch serving as co-executive producer.

Sign me the gently caress up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

OnlyBans posted:

What's the weird wiggly nominally-aimed-at-kids-but-really-for-adults/nominally-aimed-at-adults-but-really-for-kids show on Netflix with horses? Centauria? I can't find it but I'm out of things to watch and I'm absolutely the target market.

The Adventures of Senpai Horsecock

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Gonna Nth the recommendation to watch Arcane.

I went in totally blind about the show and LoL as well. The only thing I knew about the game was that it had one of the most toxic communities in gaming.

The animation is just amazing. Now that the setup episodes are done I'm really interested in seeing where they take this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

Boy, they sure did draw a lot of penises for that dating app episode of Inside Job.

No one's hornier than a room full of animators.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The United States posted:

A good chunk of Love Death and Robots was just animators who are normally busy making cg cars and buildings for live action superheroes to destroy just being jubilant that they finally got to work on rendering cg 4k photo realistic boobs

The first season of LDR was so good. Pity about the second one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I literally cannot imagine something like MM&O getting turned into a cartoon without it being sanitised to all hell.

The whole point is how hosed up they all are in their own unique ways. Take that away that toxic share-house druggie foundation and you just have a bunch of talking animals living together, like a furry F.R.I.E.N.D.S. episode.

Werewolf Jones is deffo Ross, though.

EDIT: Owl is Chandler. Owl is more Chandler than Chandler.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 19, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mokinokaro posted:

The first episode is okay but it really hits it's stride by the end so I'm hopeful season two keeps up that quality.

It started off feeling like it was being edgy for the sake of being edgy, "Wow, look we can do swears!"

But a couple episodes in it was going strong and that final episode definitely made sure I'll be coming back for more.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ironslave posted:

It'd be more tolerable if they ever had those stakes pay off, but the show keeps trying to pile on more and more mysteries while having its principle cast utterly disinterested in the forces that are upending or influencing their lives despite making a big deal out of them.

I know what you mean. There are 500 plot lines and not one has ever been resolved. It's all just so pointless.

But not yet so poo poo that I will not watch it.

Something has to be Star Trek Discovery bad before that happens.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

They must have really lowballed him or something.

DiMaggio is literally working for them right now on Disappointment Disenchantment.

How badly did they gently caress this up that he isn't willing to walk five metres down the hall from his current voice booth to theirs?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Speaking of classic anime mashup promo videos. If you watched any anime in the 80s or 90s in Australia you already know what this video is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjhUA1A-A9w

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Love Death + Robots season 3 is coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

Was very disappointed in the second series, but this trailer looks a lot better.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Better make sure we let thirsty nerds know there'll be hints of almost nude children in the show. Wanna capture that anime demographic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Watched the first two episodes. Bad Travelling is right up there with just about any season one episode.

Dread sea monsters and hard men making hard decisions. Inject that poo poo directly into my veins.

Almost as good as the season 1 episode about Russians fighting ghouls during WWII.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

And I scream from the top of my lungs, what's going on?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/1561669582921801728?s=21&t=hKcr98fOM1AYHRkZps_WWw

I wonder how this keeps getting seasons when every other animation series is getting got

Maybe we'll one good episode out of this season, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And giving the Joker more character development and actual personality than DC's done in 80 years.

edit: Joker dad is something I never thought could work, but here we are.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 26, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
They should just use Dynomutt instead. Same character, just a cyborg.

And he's already part of the Scooby cannon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mycot posted:

When the trailer for Q-Force (remember Q-Force?) came out it was the only time both sides of the political spectrum came together on something.

What was the right wing cartoon where all the characters looked like legless metaverse avatars? Pretty sure everyone immediately mocked it to death.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cemetry Gator posted:

It was produced by Stephen Colbert, so it wasn't right wing.

It's just that Stephen Colbert seems to have lost his comedic spark, or just puts his name on anything.

Because I can't see how anyone enjoyed Fairview.

Fairview. That's the name! I just assumed it was right wing because of how much a parody of liberals it seemed. And how bad it looked.

I mean, just look at this loving thing:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Bad animation has been around forever, usually because of the total lack of animation and design budgets. But the first deliberately 'ugly' adult cartoon I remember that's not some labour or love from the 60s or 70s is South Park.

I know after it first came out, there were endless lovely copycats made by people who only saw the lovely craft paper animations and kids swearing and churned out so many shows that just missed the point of why people like the early seasons of South Park so much.

And now I think all that combined mass of bad shows has turned into the 'standard' for adult shows. What does an adult cartoon look like? Here are 100 shows in our catalogue, take your cues from them. Being original is verboten and no executive will green-light anything which doesn't conform to the standard.

Of course, this ignores that all those ugly lovely shows failed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The most recent episode of Velma revealed that the central mystery of the show involves a mad scientist who invented a machine that can swap brains. This machine was called "Scooby". I'm guessing that themachine is going to be used to put someone's brain inside a great dane at some point and that's how the gang gets a talking dog, but who knows.

A haircut is often called a 'do.

So, the people being found with the tops of their heads removed have had Scoody Do's

If this is literally a joke in the show, kill me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sort of! When she learns about about the Scooby machine Velma asks "What did Scooby do?!" so I guess you should be half killed?

I live to make lovely posts another day!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bro Dad posted:

unfortunately not about the ugly americans character :(

Such an amazing show. Especially literally any scene with Leonard.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Never expected to ever hear about that show again.

Going to have to hunt it down now. Season 1 was very much my jam.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Was so goddamn sick and tired of people gushing over Helluva Boss for page after page in this thread, I decided to go and watch the bloody thing.

Thank you all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I mean, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It was really bad OP.