Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Done.

So here's a question. Is The Shivering Truth a good show? I honestly can't tell. It feels way too unstructured and it's attempts at comedy don't work most of the time so I'm tempted to file it under "bad" but drat does it nail it's atmosphere and visuals sometimes. Taken in a vacuum a lot of the mini-segments would make for some genuinely terrifying short films if played straight like this one of a kid who can hear things happening at the ocean though a seashell (the things happening are people being murdered).

I loving loved The Shivering Truth but then I'm also a sucker for anything that Chatman/Lee do. Although I do think the pilot is actually the strongest episode simply because of the one two punch of the suicide and chaos theory sketches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Two other really good Adult Swim cartoons are Hot Streets and Tigtone. Hot Streets follows Officers Branksy (JD Ryznar) and French (Scott Chernoff) who work for the titular Hot Streets bureau which deals with weird cases. In S1 Hot Streets was run by Su Park (played by Ming-Na) while in S2 it is headed by John Wayne Jet Wayne Jr (a tiny talking airplane played by Ernie Hudson.) Also joining Bransky and French on their cases is Bransky's niece Jen (Chelsea Kane) and her dog Chubbie Webers (Justin Roiland.)

Tigtone has a weird animation style but it is still extremely funny. Basically Tigtone is what happens if a videogame player actually inhabited a fantasy world. Tigtone is only interested in doing quests and getting rewards from said quests. Also Tigtone always chooses the worst possible outcome for every event, like when sky pirates start attacking the kingdom stealing all their wine Tigtone solves the problem by turning them all into vampires so instead of wine they drink blood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a really great episode of Mike Tyson Mysteries last season where they finally explained what was going on with the opening of the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part of the Tigtone pilot is that it was 5 years between the pilot being made and the show starting. Which means that yes, Tigtone was totally allowed to use his power to command animals again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A little bit after it got canceled Dino posted an unproduced script for an episode. The idea was that Orel and his friends would end up visiting a prison and there's a whole subplot about how society was perfectly okay with a woman marrying a convicted rapist currently serving time but not okay with a woman marrying someone of the same sex.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm sure he has a lot to say about how things have been going the last couple of years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

YES, MORE QUESTS! Tigtone was renewed for s2! (Also Ballmastrz)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

All the beeping on this week's Mike Tyson Mysteries was pretty great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So they didn't come right out and say it but I'm pretty sure in the second episode of last night's Mike Tyson's Mysteries the pizza place the mobster loved was just Dominos.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One good thing about HBO Max is that if you're already paying for HBO separately through HBO Now you get it for free.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

Thanks thread for letting me know about Tigtone! I watched it three times by now.

Hopefully you watched the pilot, too. Can't wait for season 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

Yeah I watched all 12 Episodes. And :same:

Okay but have you watched all the episodes of Tigtone's Journal?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You win this round RabbitWizard.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing that makes me feel too old, Close Enough ep2 where the "too old to party" guy is younger than me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't watched the full season yet but so far the only episode of Close Enough that I thought was hurt by the editing was the stress one. It feels kind of choppy and stuff happens that you don't see, like Josh and co driving a different car or how when they flee the ham place all of a sudden Candace is just with them again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You're supposed to laugh and then feel bad that you laughed at a song about slavery or a character saying "A doctor's sacred mission is to do everything in his power to avoid losing his job."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

From what I heard they threw a hissy fit when they found out the proposed budget for Season 3 was going to be like several times what they were getting for their show and they threatened to walk if Adult Swim went forward with it

They were barely starting on Adult Swim around then so I'm not sure what weight they had to throw around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looked up what happened and that's disappointing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmce1WpkOk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tigtone's pilot episode was made in 2014.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Data Graham posted:

It's the goofball wordplay subversion stuff that I have a weakness for.

"Give me a quest, ghost wizard! Or I shall TAKE ONE FROM YOU... BY FORCE!"

My favorite is definitely the wordplay of the sword that cuts nothing.

Also head's up, Adult Swim has a free pdf Tigtone themed pen and paper module role playing module.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't Jackson Publick do some writing for the new Tick series?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

S2 of Tigtone continues to be completely hilarious. Especially the second episode this week "Tigtone and the Demon Maze" where Tigtone is placed in a maze where he is not allowed to kill anyone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I've been wondering about season 2. In the premiere KingQueen said that Prince Lavender was secretly the son of Amothedeus but I'm wondering if he isn't actually the son of Lord Festus. Mainly because when his powers manifested he didn't get the traditional beard and robes (like Tigtone did when he became a wizard) but instead wears something similar to Lord Festus' clothes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can use this thread but there's also this thread which is more specifically about anime on Netflix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

I still hold a candle for the promise of more Stroker and Hoop

Stroker and Hoop was amazing. Especially the episode where they revealed that they weren't just re-using a voice and that it was the same guy each time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dog Kisser posted:

Central Park is a full musical that is extremely different from Bob's Burgers (but still really good).

The other one looks bad so I haven't watched it, hth

The Great North hasn't actually started yet, they just put out the first episode. Said episode mostly focuses on the daughter character but it isn't clear if she is supposed to actually be the "main" character or if it will be more of an ensemble.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Also the new season of Close Enough starts February 25th which is pretty soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2ZQLXAGsM

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The episode of Close Enough with Keith David is pretty great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix recently released an animated Pacific Rim show, Pacific Rim: The Black. It takes place some time after the second movie and follows two teenagers trying to survive in an Australia that has been abandoned to the Kaiju.

I thought it was okay, although it really doesn't feel like this was a complete season/part and the cut off point is just what they had done at this time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mrbotus posted:

What's this a reference to?

The second Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe has the main characters discover that the android from their ship has been kicking around from the 1980s to the literal end of time and during that period he was spent quite a bit of it parking space cars.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Birdgirl definitely had a unique character/animation style. Not completely sold on it yet but did laugh at multiple times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hexmage-SA posted:

I'm wondering if Uncle Ruckus will still be around in the new Boondocks.

IIRC there was a description floating around for the reboot where they kind of combined Uncle Ruckus with the rich guy character. Although it is also hurt by the death of John Witherspoon (Granddad)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yasuke isn't bad but it kind of feels like it was a much longer project that got cut down to 6 episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Classy Devil posted:

It's utterly bewildering at times, and I actually paused a few minutes in to episode five to check if Netflix had somehow skipped a few episodes because I felt like I had missed a ton of events.

Lol, I did the exact same thing because I was sure it had somehow skipped episode 5. But yeah there are scenes where you're supposed to feel bad when characters die but you also don't really get to spend any time with those characters so who cares?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are the Adventure Time specials something I can just jump into? I fell off the last few seasons and never bothered going back and watching them.

Yeah, they're pretty much all disconnected from any of the main story stuff. I think the only things that reference the story are that Finn has a robot arm and PB and Marcy are back together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No more posts about The Last Jedi in the loving animation thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I think Centaurworld is mostly okay for kids, the stuff with the Nowhere King might be a little much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Steve Dildarian was the creator of The Life and Times of Tim, one of the funniest shows ever made that no one watched. Even though it aired for 3 seasons on HBO its not on HBOMax so your best bet is to find episodes on YouTube.

Good news, they just added this to HBO Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just watched the first episode of Ten Year Old Tom and I spent most of it laughing like crazy.