Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Burt Sexual posted:

Good deal goon, be thinking up that probe reason I suspect we will be v busy later today.

Also, is the aspca a good donation charity? I mean gently caress peta from what I’ve read.

I like and have gotten all my pets from the humane society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

World Market is a whole car ride away, and it's a beautiful morning to be out and about on my bike. Pet shop's just a little ways away.

Wouldn't want anyone thinking I wimped out with cooked and flavored bugs. So live mealworms it is.

Catbux now tia.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Flavor is a nice, mild-nutty kind of experience. A subtle crunch with a satisfying gooey burst. Maybe a bit unsettling if you're uncomfortable with the idea, but acceptable if you know what you're doing.

Worst part was popping them into my mouth. They sensed the danger and started squirming around something fierce. Photo OP with the little buggers trying to climb around my tongue and making a break for it took some doing.

7/10.

Byond burger is better, but this is acceptable.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DrHammond posted:

World Market is a whole car ride away, and it's a beautiful morning to be out and about on my bike. Pet shop's just a little ways away.

Wouldn't want anyone thinking I wimped out with cooked and flavored bugs. So live mealworms it is.

Catbux now tia.

Lol loving excellent. Nicely executed. I’m mobile right now but will donate later (after a Father’s Day nap).

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Now that that's out of the way I can post on-topic.

It's really common that people treat dietary restrictions as a binary, all or nothing decision. If someone can successfully transition to a veg or vegan diet, and make that decision last a lifetime, that's cool and good.

But the binary approach makes it easy to 'fail' out of these dietary choices, I've seen that a lot. "I was vegetarian for a while BUT..." I recently read (and forgot the location of) an article that suggests that theres a different way to frame dietary restrictions.

I'm pulling numbers out of my rear end, but if only 10% of people (a high estimate) could successfully transition to veganism, we could achieve the exact same ecological and ethical impact by convincing 70% of people to have a no-meat monday. Instead of telling people they MUST make a binary decision about their consumption, we could focus on transitioning people to making more conscious decisions about reducing their intake of meats and animal products. This is the approach I'm taking in my life right now.

I'm going to skip the burgers all together, and when I see a tasty looking veg choice on a menu, I'll consider ordering that. But when the rack of Texas Style BBQ ribs presents itself before me... Well I ain't perfect, and that's... less than okay, but better than many.

It's a plan I can stick to, it helps me to build healthier habits, and I'm moving my ecological and ethical impact in the right direction.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

DrHammond posted:

Catbux now tia.

Sending $20 today to a local shelter. God bless you.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

DrHammond posted:

They sensed the danger and started squirming around something fierce.

New title?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Sriracha crickets acquired and consumed. I'll post when I get home.

Now it's time for red lobster: the daddest catch

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Go

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Goon ate bugs so now I'll donate to cats within 24hrs

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

I ate the crickets

Please enjoy my horrible beard

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Molothecat posted:

I ate the crickets

Please enjoy my horrible beard

sweet thursday posted:

Goon ate bugs so now I'll donate to cats within 24hrs

gently caress yes!

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Lol this thread
I didn't dare read it until like last night/,just last couple pages, I can't bear animal cruelty (tho I eat meat-absolutely a hypocrite I know)

But goon maws and bugs :haw:

:five:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

guestimate posted:

Lol this thread
I didn't dare read it until like last night/,just last couple pages, I can't bear animal cruelty (tho I eat meat-absolutely a hypocrite I know)

But goon maws and bugs :haw:

:five:

Eat the bugs guestimate

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Burt Sexual posted:

Good deal goon, be thinking up that probe reason I suspect we will be v busy later today.

Also, is the aspca a good donation charity? I mean gently caress peta from what I’ve read.

the scpa got me my current doggo so as far as i'm concerned they are worth it

he snuggle

he tuff

he goof

he courtesy of the great plains spca

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The bugs have arrived. Pictures'll be up in a few hours once I've ate dinner and so on.

E:lmao wonder who I pissed off and how, enjoy the five bucks, lowtax!

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 16, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

from the looks of it: someone british

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

What was it

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Molothecat posted:

What was it

Some very boring redtext that didn't really specify anything beyond the usual stop posting poo poo.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Honky Dong Country posted:

Some very boring redtext that didn't really specify anything beyond the usual stop posting poo poo.

I think you should continue posting mr dong!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm sure they do some good stuff but with any megacharity you're gonna get a huge chunk of donations going to higher-ups' salaries and ads/fundraising. You're better off donating to your local humane society.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Coolguye posted:

the scpa got me my current doggo so as far as i'm concerned they are worth it

he snuggle

he tuff

he goof

he courtesy of the great plains spca

Coolguye we should go to Up-Down and have a beer sometime. KC GOOOOON MEET! I'll bet we could get the 'Tax to show up too.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Local it is. Animal shelter.

And away we go! Still need probation reasons from bug eaters.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Local it is. Animal shelter.

And away we go! Still need probation reasons from bug eaters.

Best possible outcome, imo. Locals do a bunch of work on tiny budgets and don't set money aside to brag about it/ask for more.

Maybe just do bug puns with a picture of mr freeze next to them? In honor of father's day?

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Carelessness on my part has resulted in my cat joining this mod challenge. I consider my cat joining in on the catbux challenge to be a serendipitous occasion. Rejoice with me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That's a good fuckin kitty.

Also my "local" exotic petshop sells toasted and candied crickets. They're alright, I guess.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Julius CSAR posted:

Coolguye we should go to Up-Down and have a beer sometime. KC GOOOOON MEET! I'll bet we could get the 'Tax to show up too.

that's a good excuse to hit the world market that's a little south of the crossroads so i can then eat bugg

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Donated to people from my home province who help keep the kitties off the mean streets

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Turns out this really tasted loving awful, but at least there wasn't any of the juicyness of that mealworm description.

:nms:Do you like see-food?!:nms:

All gone! (except that lil leg)

Sorry my phone camera blows but I'm cheap and don't spend a shitload on really good phones.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This thread makes me want to eat a bunch of bugs, but I don’t know anything about it aside from eating ants on a dare one time as a kid. What are some good bugs to eat?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Judging from my experience just now, none of them.

E: But nah, I'm glad I tried it. Trying new things is cool and I'd prolly try some kind of bug again if I came across them. But I'm sure as hell not gonna seek out bug snacks.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 17, 2019

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Shrimp and lobster are some pretty good bugs to eat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was out diving this weekend and saw a great big sea spider (lobster) for myself! It was super cool and looked like it was dancing, it makes me not want to eat them

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

quote:

gently caress peta

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

QuarkJets posted:

I was out diving this weekend and saw a great big sea spider (lobster) for myself! It was super cool and looked like it was dancing, it makes me not want to eat them

I love lobster but those tanks at the store are so loving depressing.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

This thread makes me want to eat a bunch of bugs, but I don’t know anything about it aside from eating ants on a dare one time as a kid. What are some good bugs to eat?

Bats! With glowing red eyes and glistening fangs, these unspeakable giant bugs

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

M Condriano posted:

It's a pretty bizarre thing to argue that we evolved to do something so we should keep doing it forever, completely ignoring the entirety of all science outside of evolutionary history that all indicates that humans are perfectly capable of living quite healthily and successfully without eating meat.

It's also strange to try to argue that any kind of food would be worse for the environment than beef production.

It's also strange to ignore the fact that insects are healthier and less environmentally damaging of a food source than all the meat we eat now, and that the only reason we don't eat them now is because white people from a continent that didn't have good insects to eat took over the world and brought their cultural norms with them. Not to mention the lack of ethical concerns in farming insects, which all available science indicates do not experience pain or suffering in any way (nociception is not the same thing as pain).

...I guess it's not that strange if you understand that everyone who argues so much about how they have to eat meat constantly is just doing it because they have their masculinity all wrapped up in their meat consumption and aren't thinking about anything else in reality.

Guess I don't have to worry about this posters ban.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Did you accidentally probe yourself last night, Burt?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Burt Sexual posted:

Guess I don't have to worry about this posters ban.

Owned

I've donated to my local cattery, thank you goons.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any foods made from bugs commonly available that don't look like they're intended as a challenge? People would be more open to eating insects if they tried a nice burger and were then told "Actually, that was made from crickets!" rather than the usual "Here's a freaky looking bug that we've deep-fried! Eat it! Eat it all!"