Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

sweet geek swag posted:

That was an elephant that edison killed. I guess it was like a big cow.
thank you for this useful correction but how did you get the reference what with it being an elephant not a cow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

gary oldmans diary posted:

thank you for this useful correction but how did you get the reference what with it being an elephant not a cow?

:rolleyes:

I was being glib. I just like reminding people the Edison was a tremendous rear end in a top hat who electrocuted an elephant.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

this is tangential but a friend once told me that in order to tame a horse you have to beat a poo poo out of it. he says a guy that was punching a horse in the face with a roll of quarters him that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Has anyone stopped to ask these employees what their perspective was?
Always so quick to point fingers over baby animals beaten to death in an institutionalized setting by their caregivers and you never think maybe these guys were just standing up for themselves or felt threatened.

Frankly makes me wonder about a lot of you claiming to be so empathic.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

sweet geek swag posted:

:rolleyes:

I was being glib. I just like reminding people the Edison was a tremendous rear end in a top hat who electrocuted an elephant.
i see

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

This wouldn't happen if they went back to hiring kind hearted busty milk maids.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

If you can recognize that it is cruel to drag and hit them you should also be able to recognize that it is cruel to slaughter them. scooby doo running sound effect plays as brain immediately scrambles to rationalise that part away.

It is cruel. There; now can I have my haunches?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
All animal ownership is inherently abusive and a form of slavery :thunk:

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Hey mister, my cats own me!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Skeleton Ape posted:

Saudi Arabia is a fairly hosed place but at least they don't shy away from what they're doing. They have an official executioner who will lop your head off with a sword :stare:

They also flog and otherwise torture people beforehand, so you know not the most humane way of executing criminals. Not that there really is one, anyway.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Colonel Cancer posted:

All animal ownership is inherently abusive and a form of slavery :thunk:

Humans invented these animals dipshit

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Julius CSAR posted:

Humans invented these animals dipshit
Should've invented an animal that doesn't scream then, what a stupid inventor.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

roomforthetuna posted:

Should've invented an animal that doesn't scream then, what a stupid inventor.

Me, to God about us

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Genetic engineering will allow us to create animals that smile and say thank you when they're slaughtered.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Grevling posted:

Genetic engineering will allow us to create animals that smile and say thank you when they're slaughtered.

Yes, yes, we've all read Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

poverty goat posted:

the other side of this is: imagine actively voting to increase the cost of food in america

almost all animal welfare/food crusaders in america skim over the fact that poor people can already barely afford to eat, restaurants can barely afford to operate, and all their reforms would make food more expensive. not that that matters to bougie facebook moms

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

It doesn't cost anything not to beat up animals, you ding dong

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

People could stand to eat a little less meat in the US of A anyways. You can get perfectly good plant or milk based protein reasonably cheap and like 90% of all cheap processed meats shouldn't exist anyways.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

PETA is objectively wrong about pretty much everything

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah PETA's goals are pure but they aren't willing to go full apocalyptic forced human extinction cult. So eh 2/5 for effort.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah PETA's goals are pure but they aren't willing to go full apocalyptic forced human extinction cult. So eh 2/5 for effort.

Like, I'm pretty sure you're joking since this is SA, but there's people who actually believe this.

Also, if you do actually buy into that, you're a huge idiot.

Like, MASSIVE idiot.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I lived in downtown Norfolk for a while, where PETA is headquartered, and they ran the best, cleanest dog park in town with an area where the dogs could go swimming in the river and everything and did regular neuter/spay/vaccination clinics that were extremely affordable. So as far as I'm concerned if they want to put up silly billboards and throw paint on rich ladies' furs that's a fine trade

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

poverty goat posted:

I lived in downtown Norfolk for a while, where PETA is headquartered, and they ran the best, cleanest dog park in town with an area where the dogs could go swimming in the river and everything and did regular neuter/spay/vaccination clinics that were extremely affordable. So as far as I'm concerned if they want to put up silly billboards and throw paint on rich ladies' furs that's a fine trade

Maybe they changed in the last couple of years, but I'm fairly certain that PETA doesn't do spay/neutering since they consider pet owenership to be slavery and also they loving murder pets by the goddamn bushel.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/peta-kills-puppies-kittens_b_2979220

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

Maybe they changed in the last couple of years, but I'm fairly certain that PETA doesn't do spay/neutering since they consider pet owenership to be slavery and also they loving murder pets by the goddamn bushel.

actually it's free now

https://www.peta.org/about-peta/learn-about-peta/helping-animals-in-hampton-roads/snip/

quote:

PETA has once again partnered with the Friends of Norfolk Animal Care center to offer free spay and neuter surgeries for dogs and cats of Norfolk residents. Rabies vaccines and microchipping are also free for surgical patients. This clinic will be offered on the second Wednesday of the month and is by appointment only. Call 757-622-7382, extension 3, to make an appointment, or click the link below to make an appointment online.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

poverty goat posted:

It was secretly a dog meat processing facility and every last one of those beautiful pups was turned into delicious burgers and your favorite ball park link style sausages, sponsored by your favorite ball player who very much knew.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Heer98 posted:

I never understood why animal abuse is so horrible at seemingly every factory farm. Not systemic abuse as a by product of like, the slaughterhouse process, but just person on animal cruelty. Is it reflective of the local culture in the areas these operations tend to be in? Or, my guess, is it because the work is lovely, stressful, difficult and underpaid, so workers end up taking out their petty frustrations on the animals?

loving Yes, the answer is yes.

Holy poo poo, I've been there, and I'm not the least bit surprised.

About two years ago I worked for a company that design/built a cow poop to dry fertilizer plant for Fair Oaks Dairy. We had a lot of our own guys on site for the project but also hired a lot of locals as contract labor. Our guys couldn't stand them. They complained all the time about how hosed up weird they were.

Luckily I only had to make one trip out there. The few conversations I had with the local talent, yeah they weren't right. Let me tell you, it felt like walking onto the set of The Hills Have Eyes. Eating dinner after work was the loving worst. Constant staring, a look of I want you out of my town mixed with I want to eat your flesh. Ok, so maybe it wasn't that bad, but pretty close. No one I talked to had internet access at home, so that should explain a lot.

I was able to tour the dairy farm, obviously not the death zone though. They talked a big game about how they are a leading dairy farm in the US.

Side story. They have an operations manager that had his arm ripped off in some farm equipment when he was like 12. They got it stitched back on but it never grew after that. So you've got this big bellied redneck with a tiny little, barely functional baby arm just hanging around. I remember him being in some promotional video and they tried their best to keep that arm away from the camera.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
it's almost like the nature of what happens at a slaughterhouse attracts certain kinds of people who aren't quite right in the head

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Julius CSAR posted:

Holy loving poo poo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

LordArgh posted:

it's almost like the nature of what happens at a slaughterhouse attracts certain kinds of people who aren't quite right in the head

Really makes you think.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Private Speech posted:

They also flog and otherwise torture people beforehand, so you know not the most humane way of executing criminals. Not that there really is one, anyway.

What about the American execution method of decades of wage slavery followed by a retirement where you rapidly spiral into medical debt where you finally off yourself with an opioid overdose?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Well you see it's all nicely packaged and externalized so you can't point a finger at a bad man with some sharp implement so it's civilized and good.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

roomforthetuna posted:

Should've invented an animal that doesn't scream

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
PETA is still one of the most evil and hypocritical organizations on the goddamn planet and i say that having done business in China and having had direct contact with the CCP.

anyone who says they're actually good is flat out not paying attention.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ya but that's like saying Stalin was a bad guy.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ya but that's like saying Stalin was a bad guy.

This gimmick is loving tired dude

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Did you know one time Hitler fed deer?????????????

Only registered members can see post attachments!

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

C'mon PeTA isn't all bad. They have some pretty tasty looking vegan recipes on their website. That's about it tho

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh lord, Goons have decided that militant action against anything may in fact be bad and the most comfortable stance is taking the one that aligns most closely to what is nominally ethically justifiable and requires the least amount of change and effort from them.
Some yelling and handwringing will be needed to get there, and some may be more for or against this tact than others, but by god that's the direction we'll go, it's never been seen before when brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
You can’t be an animal lover if you eat meat and or dairy, there’s no such thing as cruelty free farms (as in for profit not a rescue farm for abused farm animals), people get mad at this statement or me saying I’m vegan because their Neanderthal brain starts processing the logic and that I’m right

Do your part to help your health and future generations, go vegan friends

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)