Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

selec posted:

lol Dan Carlin just putting a bow on why he’s loving useless

whatd he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mcmagic posted:

whatd he do?

decided to interview Musk

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

selec posted:

decided to interview Musk

I mean there are ways to interview Musk that are interesting but I doubt that Dan Carlin is going to be the guy who would do that lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's funny that he's epic bacon now because I've thought of him as past his prime for nearly fifteen years

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Our boy Tom on TrueAnon

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Danger posted:

Our boy Tom on TrueAnon

Tom myers???

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

A COMEDIAN!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good to be back at Fort Meade, folks. I love Maryland and the NSA

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

i say swears online posted:

it's funny that he's epic bacon now because I've thought of him as past his prime for nearly fifteen years

Dan Carlin and Mike Duncan doing a goofus and gallant routine has been funny and unsurprising

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dan Carlin and Mike Duncan doing a goofus and gallant routine has been funny and unsurprising

Mike Duncan was a liz lad but he sensibly deleted that, and his great takes on the war in Ukraine, from his twitter feed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Road to Samarkand like the old bing crosby / bob hope buddy movies

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dan Carlin stopped doing his terrible political podcast lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Dan Carlin stopped doing his terrible political podcast lol

common sense? hasn’t done one in years. maybe Trump being president can bring him back….

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nah trump winning is what killed it the first time. it's been seven years since he regularly updated it lol

he just could not explain trump via the rational actor model and his brain broke down the #resist path

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

always has been

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the guy whose podcast gbs and reddit fawned over since its inception? he just up and went epic out of nowhere

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

he rational actor model

extremely stupid stuff and yet somehow extremely prevalent in academic political writing, even now, after john zaller destroyed it completely in 1992. bizarre stuff folks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol imagine being the richest man in the world and using your fortune to try to buy real friendship from your parasocial podcast buddies

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

lol imagine being the richest man in the world and using your fortune to try to buy real friendship from your parasocial podcast buddies

being best friends with my favorite podcast hosts? hell, not that hard to imagine

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
last hardcore history i listened to was the world war one episode, probably more than a decade ago. it was pretty informative but i got tired of his overheated style

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

post hole digger posted:

the guy whose podcast gbs and reddit fawned over since its inception? he just up and went epic out of nowhere

maybe I just got less bacon

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

post hole digger posted:

being best friends with my favorite podcast hosts? hell, not that hard to imagine

making nick dance for gold doubloons I fling at him

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

nah trump winning is what killed it the first time. it's been seven years since he regularly updated it lol

he just could not explain trump via the rational actor model and his brain broke down the #resist path

What is so mind shatteringly irrational about a Trump presidency? Lots of people don't like immigration, they feel like they are competing with immigrants, they want the border shut. Bada bing bada boom.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I remember that episode like it was yesterday. It was the last one I listened to as well. I listened to Michael Swaim's podcast, then Bill Burr's, and finally Cum Town, and by far Cum Town made the most sense of it, while I was pretty much done with Carlin at that moment.

It's also when I think my education in history was getting to a point where his takes were causing me to cringe in embarrassment. I can't imagine going back to his WW2 episodes now. Probably the WW1 episodes either, I can't imagine his takes on the KuK Armee are up to date.

e: lol I listened to the Keeping it 1600 the day after Trump won and it's hard to describe what seeing the Pod Jons humiliated like that was like, I still thought they, like Carlin, had a lot of this stuff all figured out.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Apr 15, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

yes but thats what i want. he would break down and have an ep when some real crazy trump poo poo happened lol. So we need trump back to prompt him to be so appalled to make a high quality A+ episode

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
I like the hardcore history ep about the siege of munster where the stupid dude who could talk to Jesus gets his cock nailed to the city gates

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
listening to keeping it 1600 both the day before and after the election was :discourse:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
the trueanon interview is a zillion times better than the Chapo one

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not surprising (will is overrated as an interviewer imo)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Dan Carlin's WWI series was basically just a podcast of the book A World Undone, it's a bit outdated but fundamentally pretty decent.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

yes but thats what i want. he would break down and have an ep when some real crazy trump poo poo happened lol. So we need trump back to prompt him to be so appalled to make a high quality A+ episode

yeah he should have ignored the shame and kept releasing episodes while slowly turning into psyduck. the death of his show really got me to branch out into other podcasts though so who's to say if it's good or bad

Dalmuti posted:

I like the hardcore history ep about the siege of munster where the stupid dude who could talk to Jesus gets his cock nailed to the city gates

looking back this is one of the only episodes that i genuinely enjoyed and wasn't reddit soyface history. it also reminded me of the modern-day amish and one of my very favorite onion articles

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

post hole digger posted:

not surprising (will is overrated as an interviewer imo)

That’s not true, I don’t think anyone would say Will is a good interviewer.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
i have terrible news about November: she has never read a manga :(

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
im so far behind on podcasts and just getting to the war nerd episode with the guy who was in the room on some SLAC Dean fixing an election in Gabon and holy poo poo lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gripweed posted:

That’s not true, I don’t think anyone would say Will is a good interviewer.

I think it's compared to Felix who doesn't speak during interviews, Matt who avoids confrontation even if someone is saying things he disagrees with unchallenged, Virgil who had a strange affect and phraseology, and Amber.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I think it's compared to Felix who doesn't speak during interviews, Matt who avoids confrontation even if someone is saying things he disagrees with unchallenged, Virgil who had a strange affect and phraseology, and Amber.

I thought Virgil was a good interviewer. But overall yeah the whole crew is terrible.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

what the gently caress is the point of an intermission in a podcast? why do i need to listen to 5 minutes of boring music in the middle of a radion war nerd episode?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think wills an okay interviewer but he does this odd, I'm really not sure how to describe it but like, intentionally pulling back the conceit of the interview thing that doesn't seem to pan out much unless the interviewee is high energy. Felix/blagojevich was good

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

what the gently caress is the point of an intermission in a podcast? why do i need to listen to 5 minutes of boring music in the middle of a radion war nerd episode?

It's for you to contemplate and process the horrors of war during, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mantis42 posted:

My impression was that they're throwing their producer a bone with those interludes.