Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
jack off the Schwab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

ty they're so 2004 it hurts

Rack him

Remember Shuffle should do a sports radio episode. The Jim Rome Show alone was such a perfect '00s artifact.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Rack him

Remember Shuffle should do a sports radio episode. The Jim Rome Show alone was such a perfect '00s artifact.

bryan did one for his shocktober series

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
horse whisperer? christ thats been a while

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
charlie rose's middle name is peete. he's peete rose

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I have no idea what these radio people are, loving olds

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Anyway I hope trueanon does a non interview episode soon, I miss my purestrain black tar Liz and brace banter without any of these guests diluting it

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

it's time for liz's nba playoff predictions

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Anyway I hope trueanon does a non interview episode soon, I miss my purestrain black tar Liz and brace banter without any of these guests diluting it

the guests have been too good for me to agree , I love the weird history of the California counterculture stuff they’re on right now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

majour333 posted:

Lake hoebegone and it's about murdering sex workers

hahahaha

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Nah NPR parents tend to think it’s good and appropriate for their car bound children to also listen to, god knows if was click/clack aware by age eight and I doubt I’m alone

Same and it permanently broke my brain so now I listen to podcasts in the car instead of music like a normal person.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

majour333 posted:

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

majour333 posted:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I was a big NPR head when one of those dudes had a stroke and I was of the opinion that they could have easily gone out and found some other Folksy car guys to replace them, probably some minority. That they didn't was a minor crack ping that NPR was transitioning to nonstop state department propaganda

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

NPR was transitioning to nonstop state department propaganda

always has been

the only good show left is On The Media and they railroaded bob garfield outta there. now it has less punch

I still listen to morning edition when I'm in the shower getting ready because the on-the-hour news is nice but it does need a critical lens

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

I was a big NPR head when one of those dudes had a stroke and I was of the opinion that they could have easily gone out and found some other Folksy car guys to replace them, probably some minority. That they didn't was a minor crack ping that NPR was transitioning to nonstop state department propaganda

The appeal of the Car Talk guys is that they also went to MIT, so even though they *sounded* "folksy," they were actually properly educated elites.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

majour333 posted:

they managed to keep a lid on garrison keillor's sexual harassment allegations until after he retired

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

No matter how old I get the All Things Considered music still gives me the warm fuzzies of being in the backseat of mom’s car on a cold winter evening headed home to eat dinner and sleep, only other NPR kids know my truth

Re: click/clack the local NPR affiliate in Oregon played reruns of the show for a stupid number of years after it quit

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ytlaya posted:

The appeal of the Car Talk guys is that they also went to MIT, so even though they *sounded* "folksy," they were actually properly educated elites.

They could have found some HBCU alums who are up to date on twitter slang

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

They could have found some HBCU alums who are up to date on twitter slang

Whip Yap

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Skrrrt and Skeet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yes sir

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mit grads talk about cars like this, howard grads talk about cars like this

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

they managed to keep a lid on garrison keillor's sexual harassment allegations until after he retired

Wait til they dredge the lake

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ytlaya posted:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"Person who has some sort of folksy affect but actually went to Harvard, or is a Rhodes Scholar or something" is basically like catnip to liberals. It reminds them that they're the real true salt-of-the-earth Americans.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

they are

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

if you’ve made up some reason in your head about to not like click and clack then you are the problem, not liberals

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

if you’ve made up some reason in your head about to not like click and clack then you are the problem, not liberals

I think Click and Clack are fine. It can simultaneously be true that their show was good and that a lot of people really liked that they went to MIT.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

yep

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The latest Well There's Your Problem is particularly bad, I couldn't get past 18:44.

I was a big fan of Franklin, I think donoteat is an interesting guy, but doing a hangout podcast with two of the more obnoxious people you could have cohost has really made it drag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phrytgdlfjE

if you compare that news segment to the original Gulf Megaprojects episode 3 years ago, it's night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6lg-7L7yk

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if you like anything at all, i am going to beat your rear end.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
is this american life an npr thing. i listened to that once or twice

i liked the ep about the phantom of the opera orchestra

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Quotey posted:

is this american life an npr thing. i listened to that once or twice

like most npr shows, it's produced independently and npr buys the rights and broadcasts it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

car talk is basically what all podcasts aspire to

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Car Talk guys had charm and chemistry with each other that you can't easily replace by just adding a new host. I'm sure they were playing up how folksy they are, but there was an "it factor".

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

car talk is basically what all podcasts aspire to

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The Car Talk guys had charm and chemistry with each other that you can't easily replace by just adding a new host. I'm sure they were playing up how folksy they are, but there was an "it factor".

They were literal brothers.

I can't imagine how awkward it would have been for the remaining brother to put out a casting ad for "some minority to be my new brother".

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Weembles posted:

They were literal brothers.

I can't imagine how awkward it would have been for the remaining brother to put out a casting ad for "some minority to be my new brother".

My Brother My Brother and Some Minority to be My New Brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

still lolling at whip yap with skrrrt and skeet