Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
chapo should make a digital short every week if you ask me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Dr. Killjoy posted:

2024 election night live show parody of 2001: A Space Odyssey where Matt is reborn

or alternatively of a Clockwork Orange and Virgil Texas is cured of his pedophilia Ludovico style

eyes glued to a constant stream of MILFs

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

every sleep gets me one day closer to SEASON 5 of BLOWBACK

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mandel Brotset posted:

low key developing a theory that the collective dirtbag left, of which cspam is part, is beginning to realize the zoomers are developing a politics that isn’t as terminally irony poisoned

Like in Germany where the zoomers are enthusiastically supporting the AfD

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Mandel Brotset posted:

low key developing a theory that the collective dirtbag left, of which cspam is part, is beginning to realize the zoomers are developing a politics that isn’t as terminally irony poisoned

i only trust those who are the right age to have a shared memory of the utter insanity of adults directly post-9/11.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Popy posted:

i only trust those who are the right age to have a shared memory of the utter insanity of adults directly post-9/11.

This is the way.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

he became fatter john misty

Orson Willes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what're some normal podcasts you listen to? this evening i listened to "you're wrong about..." George Michael episode. I've listened to maybe 10 eps, previously have heard her Chris mccandless, Martha Stewart, dyatlov pass episodes among others. feels good to be normal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

that said I don't think she's going to go down the mckinsey track. she seemed nice enough on the interview and you have to be a real soulless mercenary freak like mayor pete to slither down that path

I think you would be surprised. Lots of students who consider themselves progressive/left-leaning go to work for ibanks, hedge funds, etc. They don't really think of those careers/institutions in the same way we do. Going to the "top institutions" is just what you do, and McKinsey is like the Harvard of consulting firms.

In the same way as students applied to Columbia/Harvard/whatever as a "top school," the elite banks, consulting firms, hedge funds etc are just the "top jobs" that are the Next Step, unless they're going into either academia (this is probably the best case scenario) or law school. The ethics/morality of it aren't really a consideration.

I think you're right about why this concerns the current ruling class, though. Most of these students will go on to fulfill their roles as our country's elite. But support for Israel isn't at all necessary for the maintenance of our political/economic system. These students will go on to have careers and politics that defend their own way of life, but Israel isn't necessary for that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

looking good sir
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OinA5azUg

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mandel Brotset posted:

I would wager that there's not really any consistent theme to "what politics the zoomers have," and that whatever they believe right now isn't any more predictive of what they'll believe in 10 years than what millennials believed when we were 20 or whatever.

Basically both the optimistic and pessimistic takes from people our age about the politics of "the zoomers" are a bunch of mostly baseless bullshit based off of random stuff we've seen in the media and on the internet. And as is the case with most comments about "what generations believe," there are going to be drastic differences based off the individual's background. A 20 year old Columbia student probably isn't going to be very similar to a 20 year old who couldn't go to college and works in retail or something.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Probably have the same haircut tho

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

wish they had had brendan on a bit in matt's absence, i always enjoy when he's on, tho he's prob busy with blowback

or kath, she was always funny and good when she was on

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

mawarannahr posted:

he became fatter john misty

Lmfao, I see it.

Incidentally, Father John Misty is based:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggwo_31LFfo

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Goa Tse-tung posted:

or kath, she was always funny and good when she was on

She’s a bad influence on Will.

He used to look gaunt, hungry, alert.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

excited for the Civil War movie review episode of Chapo, movie was stone cold stupid

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

I would wager that there's not really any consistent theme to "what politics the zoomers have," and that whatever they believe right now isn't any more predictive of what they'll believe in 10 years than what millennials believed when we were 20 or whatever.

Eh. When I was 20, I was anti war and extremely skeptical of the "Global War on Terror". Hated the Patriot Act and was never for the Iraq War, even when most of the "adults in the room" of 2003 were for it.

At 40, I'm still anti war and extremely skeptical of the Ukraine war and the saber rattling we've been doing with China. Despise the reauthorization of Section 702 and was against Israel's genocidal actions in Gaza from the beginning, even when most of the "adults in the room" of 2023 were for it.

The main differences between now and twenty years ago are that I'm older, much more cynical, and much more left wing (definitely not the DnD style VBNMW type I was in my young adulthood). I had the benefit of a relatively stable and happy '90s childhood, though, so god only knows what commies Zoomers will be when they're our age.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I had the benefit of a relatively stable and happy '90s childhood, though, so god only knows what commies Zoomers will be when they're our age.

I'm gonna guess... sex-negative Georgists.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eh. When I was 20, I was anti war and extremely skeptical of the "Global War on Terror". Hated the Patriot Act and was never for the Iraq War, even when most of the "adults in the room" of 2003 were for it.

At 40, I'm still anti war and extremely skeptical of the Ukraine war and the saber rattling we've been doing with China. Despise the reauthorization of Section 702 and was against Israel's genocidal actions in Gaza from the beginning, even when most of the "adults in the room" of 2023 were for it.

The main differences between now and twenty years ago are that I'm older, much more cynical, and much more left wing (definitely not the DnD style VBNMW type I was in my young adulthood). I had the benefit of a relatively stable and happy '90s childhood, though, so god only knows what commies Zoomers will be when they're our age.

Yeah but for everyone of you there's now five millennials who were the same and are now blue maga

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://x.com/kevinh8swriting/status/1783633634265604484?s=46

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

capitalism adopts and compromises the aesthetics of the forces that criticize it? wow, that's unbelievable, I'm hearing this for the first time

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It's the exact same problem as the DSA seeming like it was a viable political force and then going into quiet retirement when Biden won. There were all sorts of things people were eager to criticize under Bush, and Trump, that they abandoned once Obama and Biden won. Even if people think these policies are bad, many of them understand the cause as bad people doing them. When good people are in power, it's complicated, if they talk about it at all.

The liberal-left is still liberal, I suppose is what I'm getting at. The Epic Troop podcasters now love US military adventurism because good people are in charge, it's for good reasons, and it's going to be done right this time.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

what're some normal podcasts you listen to? this evening i listened to "you're wrong about..." George Michael episode. I've listened to maybe 10 eps, previously have heard her Chris mccandless, Martha Stewart, dyatlov pass episodes among others. feels good to be normal.

podcasting is the cousin of posting and I would never engage with the normal version of it. freak poo poo only

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

post hole digger posted:

podcasting is the cousin of posting and I would never engage with the normal version of it. freak poo poo only

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mawarannahr posted:

In Our Time is just consistently great

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mawarannahr posted:

the closest for me is Jack Slack podcast, who covers MMA poo poo. i've not been following it as much though so it's mostly sicko poo poo for me too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Gripweed posted:

They really need a semi-permanent third host to let the show develop a new groove. Especially since it’s still probably months away from Matt being able to come back full time. They need to be willing to lean into a new vibe for the time being.

it should be me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mawarannahr posted:

I like To What A Time To Be Alive.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

Been listening to The Prancing Pony Podcast where these two turbo needs read Tolkien. They started with the Silmarillion and now I'm at their read through of the Hobbit.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Majorian posted:

Lmfao, I see it.

Incidentally, Father John Misty is based:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggwo_31LFfo

lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The liberal-left is still liberal, I suppose is what I'm getting at. The Epic Troop podcasters now love US military adventurism because good people are in charge, it's for good reasons, and it's going to be done right this time.

lol I knew it was a good move to stop listening to Hell of a Way to Die and Lions Led by Donkeys when Russia.started liberating Ukraine

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:toot:

https://twitter.com/fivefourpod/status/1783918811541856575

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Been listening to The Prancing Pony Podcast where these two turbo needs read Tolkien. They started with the Silmarillion and now I'm at their read through of the Hobbit.

sounds very normal

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

sounds very normal

normally reading the entire silmarillion

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That doesn't really contradict my point? Not only is there still a pretty big difference between your earlier and current beliefs, but "a non-zero number of people not changing their beliefs" wouldn't contradict with the idea that many/most people will evolve their perspective as they get older and experience different things. And the point I was replying to (that zoomers will be less cynical/ironic) was particularly silly, given that millennials their age included earnest Obama supporters. It's hard to get much more naive and un-cynical than that.

The experience someone has as they become an adult and are finally exposed to the demands of adult life is going to have a big impact on their politics, which is also why I'm very hesitant to characterize "the zoomers" on the basis of a bunch of college students. And that gap will only increase in coming years, as the adult life experience of someone attending an elite institution will differ drastically from any of the other millions of zoomers who find themselves struggling to afford healthcare.

And in general I'm very hesitant to characterize the opinions of a generation based off of some articles and social media posts. It just sets off alarm bells in my head that we're just doing a bunch of meaningless Discourse.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

normally reading the entire silmarillion

https://www.youtube.com/@mothershewrote/videos

i'm fascinated by this project but can't listen to it. it's a narrative retelling of the earthbound series

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
listening to a podcast about someone reading a book

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i will be the new host of chapo trap house. we will get the boys back to posting here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is there anyone who suddenly stopped posting when Matt Christman had the stroke?