Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mila kunis posted:

Podcasts. I love em. Good to listen to on the commute, at the gym, doin chores, etc. Anyway here's some good ones I listen to:

unironically thanks for this thread. i was needing new podcasts because the only 3 I had on my list were cumtown, chapo, and 99% invisible. I picked up Citations Needed and Economic Update by Dick Wolves from some recs in TRUMP when i asked a few weeks back and they're good. trillbilly, age of napolean, and war nerd and stuff sounds good so ive added that to Pocketcasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mila kunis posted:

speaking of pocketcasts, what was with that awful update which hosed up the UI. does anyone know a good alternative

oh yeah, it's pretty loving horrendous now. i switched from builtin apple casts to it because it was much better with cleaner, easier to use ui, easier to sort/auto-dl, archive. now it still has most features but they're a pain to utilize because it's so bad. so im also interested in a good alternative.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ace of Baes posted:

might wanna take out the RL episode to avoid uncomfortable follow up questions...like why he dissapeared

wait what happened? i didnt listen to a lot of their earlier stuff and might have missed a bunch of drama.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ace of Baes posted:

he got accused of sexual assault, denied it, said he was gonna sue a bunch of people for defamation, then quit the DSA, who he was a member of the national leadership for, this was all over a year after his Chapo appearence, so there's no reason to think they had any idea, but still not great if you're trying to win over moderates or fence sitters

oh. tbf ive never heard of him and i consider myself terminally online--perhaps i was just living under a rock when that blew up. i doubt it'd bring up as much questions because people would just write him off as some random guest.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

get that OUT of my face posted:

anna's a troll whose only purpose in having a podcast is to piss people off. amber is cool as hell and has actual politics. also apparently the Chapo subreddit banned a ton of people for defending amber, which lol

why would you ever read a subreddit devored to a podcast lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Finicums Wake posted:

besides an article about how lefitsts should read the business press rather than the NYT, the only thing of ambers ive read iirc is this:

http://bostonreview.net/forum/logic-misogyny/amber-alee-frost-amber-alee-frost-responds-kate-manne

she says some dumb things sometimes, but idk how you can read the above and think she's a cryptofascist, or a rightwinger of any stripe really
and yeah amber is good with occasional dumb things. only terminally online brokebrain goons think shes a nazi fascist or w/e

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taintrunner posted:

the only good podcasts are Citations Needed and Moderate Rebels

domestic & foreign discourse with zero excess, what the gently caress else could you possibly desire

CN is really good, probably the best podcast hands down. I'll checkout Moderate Rebels

also you forgot trillbillies, is there a reason you don't like that?

Also Economic Update with Dick Wolff is good; however, I want to like it more than I do because it feels like he spends 5 minutes rambling without going into any real detail, and it's like poo poo I already know on a surface level and just told at a surface level and thats it. i always hope it ends up being more Mark Blythy in detail with more anti-capitalism and communism but it just never does

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Centrist Committee posted:

as someone from indiana,

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MizPiz posted:

What are the odds he did this to get laid?

probably

he's donated like 20x that to bernie, and more recently too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gripweed posted:

The tweets about it are protected or deleted now, but Mia Mulder replied to a Contrapoints tweet with a heart emoticon four months ago and has been receiving a constant stream of death threats and doxxing ever since.

who? and also why?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gripweed posted:

Mia Mulder is a leftist youtube trans person. She does good videos.

ah good to know, i'll check her stuff out. are chuds just mad at her for liking another leftist trans youtuber?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gripweed posted:

No, twitter trans people are mad at her because Contrapoints had Buck Angel do a voiceover in one of her videos. It's been this whole thing where people got mad at Contrapoints, and then got mad at everyone associated with her. People were demanding her IRL friends publicly denounce her, and it's basically been a huge thing. And Mia Mulder isn't even part of it, she doesn't know and has never worked with Contrapoints, but she replied to one of Contrapoints' tweets about it with a heart emoji. And ever since the apparently people have been threatening her, doxxing her, and demanding she apologize and publicly denounce Contrapoints.

lmfao twitter was a mistake

#cancel everyone on it

e i have to wonder if half of 'twitter trans people' pulling that poo poo aren't just chuds trying to psyop and incite circular firing squad poo poo bc how easy it is do. bc even the dumbest brokebrain cspam poster wouldn't do that and i don't know anyone who goes 'yes let me send deaththreats to a trans person continuously for months on end because they liked another trans persons tweet', like it just isn't even in the realm of things people do.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Jan 10, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
breadtube redtube crossover breedtube is actually good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

THS posted:

haha what

yeah what the gently caress i missed this part

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

lmao at anyone who thinks the chapo subreddit has any of the podcast fans still there

all podcast subreddits are weird awful trashfires to begin with, so yeah

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
as someone from indiana, i

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

plz don't dox my pocketcasts list

i have also listened to all those episodes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

prefect posted:

They closed the RGD Cum Town thread; is it safe to post here? :ohdear:

genocide explainer is gone, so :justpost:. insert some tromps troncs and trimples for good measure. you're under my protection*, prefect

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how can amber be a terf if she isn't a feminist tho

as someone from indiana,

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
but for real amber is cool and good and she was excellent (and right) in that episode

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gh0stpinballa posted:

it is very interesting that amber and liz from true anon are frequently accused of being terfs without any evidence. i have my theories about why this is but i do not wish to get cancelled by the haters.
it’s easy to say you’re an ally and while secretly being a chud and point guns around trying to stir circular poo poo while laughing with the fellow nazis

but also any powerful leftist women that hate id pol and hate yasss kween succ twitlibs will be accused of it because it’s just so easy to. if you aren’t team #warren ur a terf

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i listen to you can't win, age of napoleon, chapo and radio war nerd

need more podcasts

Citations Needed is like the best podcast, Economic Update with Richard Wolff is very good. Trillbilly Workers Party is on par with Chapo as radical appachalaian leftistsand Appalachian point of view they yell about capitalism and coastal nyc idpol libs

also cumtown

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

it was intended to be a comedy answer but it’s an acquired taste and funny as hell if it clicks

but the others yeah def check out they are good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

coathat posted:

Also Uhh Yeah Dude is the best podcast

I don’t agree but I also couldn’t get into it. also it’s a 15 year long running podcast and I think that’s too intimidating, I wouldn’t really recommend it just for that if you haven’t already been a listener for awhile.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh yeah I forgot to mention 99% Invisible is a good one if you just want 20 minut episodes about A Thing. be it high heels or people who make sound effects in movies or McDonald’s advertising to corporate logos to anti-homeless measures to cathedrals.

and since it’s not on current events or host banter, you can just listen to any that sounds interesting to you

I will say I think they’ve stopped doing interesting things the last year or two and changed the format a bit, lots of side project plugs and annoying poo poo like that like trying to grow the brand/network but in an annoying way. so imo it’s gotten kinda bad and less enjoyable but there’s still like 200+ good episodes in the backlog

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Jan 31, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

THS posted:

cumtown is cool because its the only thing i am ashamed of and have to hide from friends and strangers
this is correct. I put it on with my fiance in a car ride once and never again. don’t do that and definitely do not tell anyone irl about it

then again she’s #warren lib type

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i used to play cum town in the car with the babby

p sure i tapered it down before she really picked up language
you need to put it on 24/7 for the babby and she will one day grow up as a powerful turbo goku gen z^2 dirty and she will crush capitalism with the perfect tweet

imagine the possibilities...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

papa horny michael posted:

my partner thinks stav is funny but Adam should be killed lol

she’s right

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Its Chocolate posted:

gonna rant a little here but I really, really hate how radlibs refuse to recognize that being attractive is a form of privilege because they don't think objective attractiveness is real. it's exactly the same as going "I don't see color" as a response to racism

the problem with 'attractiveness' is that: a) complaining about it makes you look like a weirdo incel, b) you want to pretend to be smart enlightened phd transcending-the-physicality smartboy who proudly proclaims "they're only attracted to big brains, i don't see the body!", c) being part of the upper class generally translates to attractiveness in that if your family could afford to give top line dental work 24/7 with white bleached teeth, expensive braces, fillings, etc that is a tremendous boon (given most people don't have dental insurance and it's expensive af) and that having access to private chefs and private-family sports and medicine practitioners and things help (ofc that's no guarantee either like the wyatt koch bro is ugly as poo poo, genetic lottery is still there), and d) it's still no guarantee that it matters to a significant degree in society, like being white male attractive helps a lot more than being non-white attractive, but again that ties back into sexism, racism and wealth with old-boys club and media reflecting its own white agenda.

it's a weird and counter-productive thing to recognize, and it's far more important to focus on class. kinda why idpol is loving stupid to begin with, but just backwards.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Its Chocolate posted:

it still makes your life way easier in ways you probably don't even recognize and correlates with important life outcomes, just like being white. and yeah class is more important but that's true compared to any identity thing

of course, I don’t think anyone would disagree. it’s just in terms of importance it’s not even worth bringing up except as a purely academic exercise, although I do like dunking on woke neo libs. like say it adds +19.5%; class adds +3842% and being white male adds +359%; that sort of thing makes it irrelevant and comes off as well...

interesting, and maybe it says more about me than I’d like, is that my initial reaction to even having you mention it in the first place was an unironic snarky “lmao look at this uggo goon whose mad n jelly that cool and attractive people are being successful+getting laid , go lift some weights” even though I’m not one to snark and if you had mentioned rich instead I wouldn’t ever think “lmao look at this poor being mad rich exist”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnEdgelord posted:

1. Chapo
2. Cum Town
3. Revolutions
4. Radio War Nerd
5. True Anon
6. The Dollop

I like Knowledge fight but they're libs and I can only listen to Alex Jones for so long before the Abyss stares back into me

you really need Citations Needed in there

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

If you listen to too many twitter podcasts you end up like crows beak, be warned

can confirm i saw this in an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the proles of the round table podcast imploded due to interpersonal psychodrama

https://www.prolespod.com

never listened to it but saw a PSL guy wearing that on a t-shirt at a demonstration once:

i've never heard of anyone here and im glad of it, but lmao my eyes just started glazing over and my brain turned into pea soup and slipped out my eyesockets onto my keyboard and oh god damnit now i need a new keyboard

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ace of Baes posted:

I mean just imagine a bunch of juche larp style maoists who use the language of academic idpol while simultaneously seeing themselves as the chosen vanguard of the revolution despite being almost all white cis dudes and spending all their time denouncing all other organizers around them as being insufficiently revolutionary or being careerist opportunists for actually spending time organizing, and that's just within the org they were organizing in

wow i can't believe you doxxed all of cspam

this is absolute madness, delete this post NOW

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
j/k. cspam would never use academic idpol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

THS posted:

after. i have no idea about before. just from discussions i’ve had with him he is pretty serious - his idea of tolerance of gay people is they should be completely celibate as it’s a challenge from god. maybe he has chilled out since but i doubt it

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zas posted:

i think don's getting more conservative too over time, slowly, but of course its always hard to tell with him. thats ok though, i think he's earned it

he's really good at seeing past whatever the american left is hyping at any given moment

I don’t know this don guy (is he getfiscal?) but I don’t think becoming more fascist and white supremacist as you get older is earnable

I am certainly all about owning da libs tho. gently caress libs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Trabisnikof posted:

idk if John Stewart ever worked as hard as Virgil for our democracy.

yeah for loving real that was a real dumb and wrong post. the most Stewart ever did was that horrifically embarrassing “rally to restore sanity” nonsense. they never got out and campaigned, canvas, held rallies for leftist candidates. they didn’t do poo poo other than make funny faces at Fox News and GOP poo poo. and whenever there was an even modicum of effort like OWS they just spent the entire time mocking it.

there is nothing even remotely comparable between the two

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the weirder thing was how they were able to generate a little cult of personality

of which one of the members is a mod lol
horny is extremely powerful

almost as incredible as the raw unadultered posting power

exmarx posted:

i think i had a small aneurism when the tb crew accused me of doxxing her for confirming she was, in fact, a slashie rereg. incredible posting power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Halloween Jack posted:

In which he ranted about "dangerous Marxists subverting our Constitution"

lmfao i think i missed that. tbf i stopped watching tds in like early 2010 before that poo poo went full bore. then again the whole 2008-2016 period of my life is one giant gaping blackhole of stasis nothingness in my brain