Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

KirbyKhan posted:

it is the goofiest thing to build clout around not doing things.

Democrats have made a living off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm sure I'll regret asking: I don't trust Vaush and don't watch his videos, but why is he bad? Just a bad-faith actor?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

his opinion just happens to align with the mainstream democratic party and military industrial complex's views on basically every issue possible, despite nominally being a "leftist"

e: and that's just based on his actual content - his character is even flimsier

Gotcha. I think there was also a controversy about Vaush filming protestors who were asking him not to put them on camera? It just made him look like an rear end in a top hat because these days, filming leftist protestors can be dangerous.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Uh....wow. OK, then. He has a lot in common with Mike Pence, I guess.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Avatar (2009) was meh. The special effects hold up better than the comic book dreck they churn out these days, but the characters - especially the villains - are completely one-dimensional. Aside from the special effects I don't get the overwhelming praise for the movie.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dr. Killjoy posted:

i like how after ten years nerds still hate avatar for being the most successful media property called "avatar"

will's right on the sequel managing to flex as YA genre material as well

The tribalism over Avatar and Cameron "winning" at the box office is strange to me. A wealthy white filmmaker succeeded at the box office with his latest film....congrats, I guess?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Jan 4, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Whether or not this guy is one of the best debate bros, I still don't know why they waste time and effort. No one's mind is going to be changed by this.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thinking that you need to respond to bad-faith "the left doesn't want to debate!" whining seems pretty lib-brained to me, but to be fair I don't know anything about Haz.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I liked the guests on the latest Chapo but most of the stuff they were reading was pretty boring. Even the "podcast bro" article didn't quite get the reaction I was expecting.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nothus posted:

Will totally redeems himself by having Richard Wolff on

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about the Oscars, but I'd listen to the Chapo guys interview Wolff.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wolff has a certain sarcastic way of articulating his point that I really love. I don't think it's acting; he's just as fed up with capitalism as we are. That's a reason why he's one of the best.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've always enjoyed/looked forward to Matt's legendary rants on politics and culture and my politics have been influenced quite a bit by them. I hope he pulls through and is back to his usual ranting self soon. poo poo's scary because Matt's only a couple of years older than me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Sure. But it’s like looking at traffic fatalities and never going anywhere again. Nobody cares and nothing you do will make them care and at some point you’re just working yourself up into a frenzy over a force of nature that’s so far outside your ability to control that so it goes.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about politics in general.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Chapo has yet to do a Movie Mindset on a film that I've either seen or particularly care about. If they did one on say...Network, I'd listen to that episode in an instant. I'm actually surprised they haven't done one on Network considering how eerily prescient that movie turned out to be.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

bold to assert your bad taste in movies so confidently

:ironicat:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Finkelstein is a treasure, and I've really enjoyed watching all of his recent videos tearing into Zionist bullshit. But I'm inclined to say that such a debate wouldn't serve anyone; it would give undeserved attention to WAP boy and as vicious as Finkelstein can be, he'd never get a word in edgewise as the little rat would be gish galloping the gently caress out of the whole thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

It would serve me

Well, now that I saw that BBC clip I see your point. Finkelstein has a quiet, relaxed debate style that would really get under the skin of someone like Shapiro.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

All I know about Destiny is that he's an annoying Youtube debate bro whose videos (unclicked) occasionally pop up in my feed. Finkelstein would have doubtlessly mopped the floor with him; no wonder Destiny backed out.

e: I put Destiny in the same general category as Vaush - annoying ""leftist"" who is everywhere on Youtube but whom actual, more credible leftists actively despise and distrust.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Nov 18, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

lobster shirt posted:

all programming languages are fascist

Java and C++ are class aware, and functions can be declared as Public so that they can be used by all. Two classes can also be Friends and share their Private members. Maybe non-OOP languages are more fascist?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Dec 12, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shipon posted:

I'd play the hell out of a do 9/11 board game

"You sunk my Trade Tower!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You know your generation is getting old when....you start seeing navel gazing articles like this popping up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

slave to my cravings posted:

another judging freedom episode featuring John mearhseimer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3hfKDk0E6g
at the end of the episode they make fun of Hillary for a few minutes

Am I correct when I say that Napolitano has actually had pretty good politics regarding Israel lately? Not that it's too tough a task to outflank Biden from the left on this issue, of course.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

LA seems like it would suck without a car

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

slave to my cravings posted:

I suggest listening to judging freedom with judge Napolitano if you want your news podcast fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWUjRDEm2bw

It's surprisingly good. I wouldn't have expected 'agreeing with Napolitano' on my 2024 bingo card, but he's great on the issue of Gaza.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Telluric Whistler posted:

bacon loving Jews.

:lol: I don't know why but this phrasing is making me laugh irl.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Doc Hawkins posted:

https://x.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1769124552192205115?s=20

im trying to imagine a destiny fan who hadn't heard of trueanon before now, and what they would think of it.

okay i got stuck trying to imagine a destiny fan. still don't know who those people are or what they're getting from watching the guy. he used to debate gamergaters, right?

All Destiny's fans have left is to whine endlessly that "Finkelstein was insulting :qq:", truly the mark of having won the debate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

I would wager that there's not really any consistent theme to "what politics the zoomers have," and that whatever they believe right now isn't any more predictive of what they'll believe in 10 years than what millennials believed when we were 20 or whatever.

Eh. When I was 20, I was anti war and extremely skeptical of the "Global War on Terror". Hated the Patriot Act and was never for the Iraq War, even when most of the "adults in the room" of 2003 were for it.

At 40, I'm still anti war and extremely skeptical of the Ukraine war and the saber rattling we've been doing with China. Despise the reauthorization of Section 702 and was against Israel's genocidal actions in Gaza from the beginning, even when most of the "adults in the room" of 2023 were for it.

The main differences between now and twenty years ago are that I'm older, much more cynical, and much more left wing (definitely not the DnD style VBNMW type I was in my young adulthood). I had the benefit of a relatively stable and happy '90s childhood, though, so god only knows what commies Zoomers will be when they're our age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

That doesn't really contradict my point? Not only is there still a pretty big difference between your earlier and current beliefs, but "a non-zero number of people not changing their beliefs" wouldn't contradict with the idea that many/most people will evolve their perspective as they get older and experience different things. And the point I was replying to (that zoomers will be less cynical/ironic) was particularly silly, given that millennials their age included earnest Obama supporters. It's hard to get much more naive and un-cynical than that.

The experience someone has as they become an adult and are finally exposed to the demands of adult life is going to have a big impact on their politics, which is also why I'm very hesitant to characterize "the zoomers" on the basis of a bunch of college students. And that gap will only increase in coming years, as the adult life experience of someone attending an elite institution will differ drastically from any of the other millions of zoomers who find themselves struggling to afford healthcare.

And in general I'm very hesitant to characterize the opinions of a generation based off of some articles and social media posts. It just sets off alarm bells in my head that we're just doing a bunch of meaningless Discourse.

Yeah, those are fair points. I just wonder if Zoomers have that much to lose given deteriorating economic conditions. Maybe a lot of Columbia students already have their futures secured; I don't even know.