Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

It's pretty good. 1848 was my fav section since it's rarely talked about in general history stuff

I've been working my way forward lately and finished the Paris Commune last week. 1848 really is a whirlwind though.

Haiti is the best part though :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm on episode 19 of 60 or so of "revolutions" podcast about the French revolution. I find it really interesting and the host is pretty ok too. I'll probably jump around in order of interest/lack of knowledge. Shoutout to whoever the goon was that recommended it in some cspam thread a couple weeks ago.

street fight i enjoy like I would a call in radio show (I used to love them and would gently caress around with Boston's FM talk station back when I worked third shift weekends). They call in shows are long and cover my entire commute round trip, so that's nice too.

hell of a way to die is on regular rotation for me, and citations needed is great so far though I've only started listening to it recently

I really recommend going in order through Revolutions, things tend to lead into each other. Like, the French revolution specifcally plays into the next...five(?) pretty heavily

at least don't skip Haiti, because it rules hard. there's a point towards the end of it where Mike starts editorializing about how the other revolutions cloaked themselves in flowery, liberal rhetoric about freedom and equality meanwhile the Haitians are goddamned slaves throwing off their shackles. actual liberation, none of this "boohoo my taxes" bullshit

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheBalor posted:

The entire Rod Dreher saga. You can find these compiled on Youtube, but my favorites are "Have you ever heard of bimboification?" and "Elfquest."

so I came on in like at the very end of 2017 with chapo, but is there really, for serious, a Rod Dreher piece about loving Elfquest?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Will's interview with Alan Moore was a fun little jaunt, and his position that advertising is both magical and the devil really struck a chord with me. also I'd totally spaced that Will had published one of Moore's books which really explained the "how" of the interview

this week's dollop was kind of middling but there is something pure in Gareth taking so long to realize that Dave was talking about Colonel Sanders :allears:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I finished up Revolutions podcast's run on the Mexican revolution a few days ago and now I'm really sad that I can't rail 20 hours of Russia straight into my veins. I'm trying to put it off for a little but there's no way I can wait for what may well be a year before diving in

to fill the space I did do some Citations Neededses and that Florida Man episode raises good points but also I've lived in Florida for 10 years now and this place does have a...feel to it. it's probably some cognitive dissonance bullshit but still

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

I liked the recent Citations Needed about vegans and animal rights, but when the second guest started talking about animality and white supremacy being zooilogical I was lost. That interview went from introductory to jargon heavy really quick. Is this what I sound like to people when I talk about Marxism and class conflict without defining my terms first every time?

people are fairly receptive until you use the S, C, or M words. the ideas of Marx himself resonate pretty clearly with most normal people, but you fight uphill due to the layers of propaganda that are out there

even if people agree with you, the second you invoke those forbidden words they probably think you're some kind of demon who hates freedom

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
all of that is incomprehensible

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I officially caught up with Revolutions today, and I'm feeling lost. at least listening to Bakunin's insane life was super interesting. motherfucker circumnavigated the world after being in prisons for more than a decade and then being gulag'd

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This week's Dollop is about a sitting state congressman in Washington who's one of the militia crazies, Matt Shea. always good to get a deep dive on some specific weirdo that currently wields actual power

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How did the stream go tonight? Did Matt steal Amber's Buckfast and swear a fatwa against someone?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ur in my world now posted:

amber had big matt energy and said all college students should be killed. set the bar high for tomorrow night

as someone with a high school diploma who works in a warehouse I can't say I disagree

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

As am undergrad neither can I

solidarity is key

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
loving Matt at maximum recline

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Amber is so great because she is so loving messy and petty

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MizPiz posted:

Switch out Virgil for Felix; just imagine the content a self-hating Jew, the child of a Polish NYPD cop, and someone who has conspicuously German grandparents in South America would produce.

I thought Felix's family was Russian and Polish? i'm slightly beyond the pale right now because debates and that's what I remember him saying

I would love Felix there though, if for no reason beyond superior tangents

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"has Matt been drinking tonight?"

"no, he's a my ride home"

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh sit the new Chapo has some of that sweet, sweet Brother Rod action. Gonna be a good day

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Felix's description of a hypothetical other millenial's mental breakdown on the most recent episode is most likely from observed and not lived experience.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gh0stpinballa posted:

yeah they almost word for word do the same bits as the previous week's chapo but try to transpose them to UK politics and it just doesn't work at all

I've only listened to a few episodes but that one about the 2012 olympics with Ash Sarkar seemed enjoyable enough. well, after I looked up what "mawkish" meant anyway

ReapersTouch posted:

This was mentioned very early in the thread, but man is Trillbillies really funny and good.

they really do rule so much

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tom made a quick reference to the Hater's Ball on the most recent trillbillies, and it I let out a loud guffaw

they are the true kings of podcasting

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Finicums Wake posted:

she actually said what her ethnicity was on some early chapo episode (or maybe it was cum town (sorry) idk). i had never heard of that group before, and there didn't seem to be that many in america from the wikipedia page i read about it :shrug:

i know this happened, but it was like during the 2016 primaries or something so i don't remember the details. this post isn't funny or helpful, but maybe someone itt actually remembers what she said.

edit: also "appalachia trash" is a perfect example to demonstrate my earlier point. it's a category that's neither entirely ethnic and/or racial, nor is it purely economic.

I remember someone saying she was Sami, I think? I have no idea if that was just people throwing out semi-obscure ethnic groups or not though

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

new trillbillies making GBS threads all over mcgrath and the dems, it’s good

from the second she announced I've been waiting for this

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The good dollop voice is Dave's impeccable English accent

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

wars, history, current events. there might be better podcasts for those specific topics but RWN is more holistically informative. they contextualize everything to the present in a way that makes sense to a left wing sensibility.

http://www.patreon.com/posts/28283403

you can check out their episode previews. it’s been a while since they posted a free episode, but there’s a big backlog of those too.

e: https://www.patreon.com/posts/rwn-ep-64-repost-12256665

the scifi & fascism episode is probably the GOAT, so give that one a shot if you try any of them.

I subbed recently after hearing Dolan on Chapo (and to fill space since I finally caught up to Revolutions) and pretty much immediately I'm saying it was a good call. It's nice to hear a show about the military and geopolitics that acknowledges that the CIA exists and does bad things

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The stuff coal mine stuff that Tanya was talking about on the paid Trillbillies this week is kind of unreal hosed up. The company stopped paying into their 401ks, HSAs (no insurance, because coal miners), and even wasn't holding money out for loving child support for THREE MONTHS and then declared bankruptcy the day before the 4th of July. They're finding out about all that after the fact, and also after the last paychecks bounced for those who had direct deposit once the banks figured out they weren't getting money. Made my blood completely boil

I do like that there's a conspiracy theory that the coal dipshit that died a few weeks ago maaaaaaaay have been shot down by angry Bahamians though, that's the feel-good poo poo

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This week's Dollop is on Lyndon LaRouche. I know most if not all of you know he was nuts, but it's worth hearing a relatively concise list of how utterly insane he was

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

"Music is wrong" rules

The A=432 thing reeeaaally hurts my head. my day job is musical instruments and even the old A=442 stuff is useless in a modern context because we all just kinda decided it was stupid to make everyone buy two of the same instrument that works the same and has the same range but with ever-so slightly different geometry because that's how poo poo like oboes work. makes it a good cult cause though because that's one insane windmill to tilt at

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

War nerd also did an excellent episode on the life of LaRouche. If you want more listening material about the man.

I'll dig that one up since I'm one of those Johnny-Come-Latelys that subbed after Dolan was on Chapo, thanks for the heads up.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
double post but assuming I found the right one the RWN on LaRouche is 169. I'll be listening at work today but apparently it starts with them talking about Elliot Abrams, so that's sure to be a ray of sunshine.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Reporting back from the older RWN on LaRouche: did y'all know that Karl Marx worked with the republicans during the American civil war to prevent the US from being controlled by England?

I want a LotR-length series of movies about LaRouche now because my god it's just bonkers poo poo all the way down

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

Just listened to the same episode and im starting to suspect everything Ive ever heard about trotskyist wreckers is true.

ain't that the loving truth

StashAugustine posted:

Look up the chapo Matt solo episode where he talks about a German communist who fought for the Union of you haven't

any idea which one it is? I know there were some of the people fleeing Germany after 1848 fell apart that wound up fighting for the Union army and all that jazz, but i'd love to hear specifics

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

Here's the black wolf: https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackWolfFeed/comments/7pt1ty/the_inebriated_past_with_matt_christman_122116/

If you know anything about the civil war, he was one of the commanders at Missionary Ridge, basically the only time an uphill assault against fortified positions worked

thanks much! I don't know a huge amount about the civil war but I was up a little north of chattanooga back in April for a few days so the location itself is pretty fresh in my mind

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

freckle posted:

the cameras of the time were unable to capture the many vibrant colors that adorned the penis of karl marx

it was shades of red we can only dream of

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

Amber said a culture of light to medium bullying is good for a person's development and, as someone who's seen the worst the internet has to offer, I can't disagree.

this is also pretty close to Henry Rollins' plan to raise musicians who don't suck poo poo

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Brace's line about being able to beat Dan Bilzerian's rear end allegedly killed me

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I went looking for info on Kamala's masonic cop guy, and found out that he wound up getting off: https://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-fraternal-police-20160419-story.html

My favorite quote, from his lawyer:

quote:

Police “could have told Mr. Henry and Ms. Hayes and Mr. Kiel, ‘Listen, this is not a good idea. Someone might think you are impersonating a police officer,’” Casselman said. “I think [police] are jealous of anyone who might be perceived as an interloper or, pardon the expression, a competitor.”

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I hope that Gareth has that Owain Glyndwr tat in real life

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Finicums Wake posted:

would someone who neither watches nor likes mma like it?

I haven't watched MMA in like 15 years and haven't cared about it for longer and I liked it, and thought it really brought some things to light that had never crossed my mind at all. like learning that the divide between the two main Brazilian jiu jutsu schools being along and racial and class lines really popped some stuff into focus for me

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Joe Rogan is literally "a mind so open his brains fell out"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_3ZTp4eG4&t=23s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

noooo not Spinal Tap :negative: