Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evangelion will be considered a seminal piece in Climate Change literature, so avant garde that the copious flaws will always be forgiven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I think a lot of polycules are just people realizing that finding romantic partners is hard, finding roommates is hard, so why not kill two birds with one stone?

And in a world where capitalism crushes all sense of community and drives alienation into everyone’s soul forming a communal bond over everyone loving is a pretty reasonable reaction.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm still pissed that the poetry loving sucks so bad

quote:

The transcendent moment, in my opinion, is her reading, lilted out in her husky voice, of three lines from a poem that reduced the audience to screams: “I would rather die than work / I would rather die than work / I would rather die than work.

That's some local poetry slam level poo poo. Garbage.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some metal is good, like Van Halen.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

nah, she won't become a fascist. but she is absolutely going to decide some piece of poo poo adjunct is showing her insufficient respect in a faculty meeting and go nuclear. the Circle of Academia is inescapable in this regard.

Sorry dude but Jorden Peterson sucks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nah, unlike Amber, Nagle actually started going to nazi events and doing her whole “you’re just misunderstood” thing there

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Victory Position posted:

we are all Matt Christman as we read this post

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I'm not sure why the third person is there. A Dollop style thing about disasters could be good, but you can't have two gareths. Just Donoteat and Alice, that's all we need.

Disagree, donoteat’s roommate at least usually has a few factoids and helps play off of Alice’s jokes well. The episodes without him are worse.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Just call everyone children.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It’s rude to saddle up to a bar after a long day of herdin beef critters and call anyone a dude, but especially a fellow cow poke. you’d get right thrown out for that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Just saw Star Wars

it was fine.

also, lol at Matt for saying Impeachment is going to end quickly. This poo poo is going to drag out forever.

Impeachment is already over. :smug:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At the time of Hoffa the mob was already controlling several unions with complete disregard of the workers. The role of organized crime in destroying the union movement in America is vastly down played, but to put it all in Hoffa’s lap is absurd.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

just because the legal apparatus was constructed to destroy the black community doesn't mean it won't still gently caress anyone else who gets in the way.

that’s as true in Houston or Atlanta as in bum gently caress Iowa

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It’s working yall

https://twitter.com/UnBoliviable52/status/1215656911929954310?s=20

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Liz Bruenig

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

im rollin

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

woah for as much as goons talk about how much goons poo poo post and say dumb things those goons sure do shitpost and say dumb things.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

E1 would be terrible if it was short. That’s not going to flap, Jack.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I just can’t believe in a real persons name like “Nick O. Tyme” it has to be fake too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ugh the Episode 1 Biden episode is about 800 characters too long to fit in one post

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MizPiz posted:

You mean one of the most widely known basketball players who died in a helicopter crash that killed nine people, including his tenmage daughter?

oh that makes way more sense. I thought he was just some steakhouse dude.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Her Dryer posted:

Oh no I forgot I posted in here and started more Amber discussion, I can only apologise.

One of the weirdest takes I've heard about Chapo is accusing them of being "South Park for the left" and thinking that nothing matters, "caring is uncool" ect. The only one of them you could make that accusation towards is Felix and even he gets the fire sometimes.

They don’t care about Impeachment!!! They don’t even care when Trump disrespects the CIA!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Prince Myshkin posted:

I get the feeling if someone put you in front of one of those drinking bird toys you'd be entertained for hours.

hate on their podcast but don’t call them toys

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

emdash posted:

no, not Struggle Session, just "struggle sessions" by wokescolds on twitter

brb naming my economics podcast A Stranger Yelling on the Street

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah. Raise your kid to be a charlatan grifter, then as soon as you show weakness they extraordinary rendition your rear end to a Russian black site rehab facility, because Western Medicine Has Failed™

and the fact peterson's actual expertise is on addiction so this is some classic greek poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

watch out they spoiler old yeller in the new chapo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ace of Baes posted:

I don't wanna doxx any of them or myself but they're all huge narcissistic dickheads lol

looks like you already doxxed yourself there

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

ambers take on the incredibly corrupt las vegas union stuff is amazingly good faith for someone who is otherwise very savvy

The number of times she called them a health insurer was enough of a dogwhistle for me.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

One of the hosts of the leftist podcast “Chapo Trap House” recently tweeted a picture to imply a sadomasochistic gay orgy had broken out at the Buttigieg campaign-staff party

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

another uncut gems episode? yes please

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

a six episode mini-series, for patrons only

an uncut gems based tabletop would be an acceptable compromise

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

don't tell anyone, it's basically the daily show right now

people are currently complaining that they are not going to get any of that wry menaker snark on the events of the day because they're earnestly campaigning for things

idk if John Stewart ever worked as hard as Virgil for our democracy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lets see if b2 has reregged....

judge dredd is almost as good a comic as doonesbury but its lacking in subtly

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

i wasn't expecting an endorsement of ed buck when i opened this thread ten seconds ago but here we are

more like dead gently caress amirite

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if you confuse Toronto with Quebec it makes Canadians go Super CN

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the RGD thread for that pod will earn lowtax so much money

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That makes Fresno the Kansas City of California.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if Hillary is podding everyday then Chapo will have content forever.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Of course Greenwald likes Truanon he and Brace have the same employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

exmarx posted:

nah, those articles were way more fawning

Yup lets compare shall we: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/opinion/intellectual-dark-web.html

Chapo, violent and defensive versus IDW is just a rolling conversation about taboo topics:

quote:

In blurring occasionally violent humor, jovial community meetups and radical politics, they are the Tea Party reborn for progressives, and for their fans the appeal is in a bawdy offensive balance to cautious mainstream liberal politics.

They are known collectively as the Dirtbag Left, a shorthand they embrace that winkingly dispenses with any notion of liberal purity or inclusion, a defense mechanism that doubles as a nickname.

Compared to:

quote:

Today, people like them who dare venture into this “There Be Dragons” territory on the intellectual map have met with outrage and derision — even, or perhaps especially, from people who pride themselves on openness.

It’s a pattern that has become common in our new era of That Which Cannot Be Said. And it is the reason the Intellectual Dark Web, a term coined half-jokingly by Mr. Weinstein, came to exist.

What is the I.D.W. and who is a member of it? It’s hard to explain, which is both its beauty and its danger.

Most simply, it is a collection of iconoclastic thinkers, academic renegades and media personalities who are having a rolling conversation[ — on podcasts, YouTube and Twitter, and in sold-out auditoriums — that sound unlike anything else happening, at least publicly, in the culture right now. Feeling largely locked out of legacy outlets, they are rapidly building their own mass media channels.
But they all share three distinct qualities. First, they are willing to disagree ferociously, but talk civilly, about nearly every meaningful subject: religion, abortion, immigration, the nature of consciousness. Second, in an age in which popular feelings about the way things ought to be often override facts about the way things actually are, each is determined to resist parroting what’s politically convenient. And third, some have paid for this commitment by being purged from institutions that have become increasingly hostile to unorthodox thought — and have found receptive audiences elsewhere.

Chapo runs roughshod over anti-racism versus isnt it interesting how racists like the IDW:

quote:

The topic is inequality, raging against the rich.

Progressives who are more concerned with racial equality or gender parity have had to figure out how to either go against the Dirtbag movement or resign themselves to this singular focus, which occasionally runs roughshod over all the rest.

But what some call an exciting dialogue can feel exclusionary to others.

Compared to:

quote:

People are starved for controversial opinions,” said Joe Rogan, an MMA color commentator and comedian who hosts one of the most popular podcasts in the country. “And they are starved for an actual conversation.”

That hunger has translated into a booming and, in many cases, profitable market. Episodes of “The Joe Rogan Experience,” which have featured many members of the I.D.W., can draw nearly as big an audience as Rachel Maddow. A recent episode featuring Bret Weinstein and Ms. Heying talking about gender, hotness, beauty and #MeToo was viewed on YouTube over a million times, even though the conversation lasted for nearly three hours.

Ben Shapiro’s podcast, which airs five days a week, gets 15 million downloads a month. Sam Harris estimates that his “Waking Up” podcast gets one million listeners an episode. Dave Rubin’s YouTube show has more than 700,000 subscribers.

Offline and in the real world, members of the I.D.W. are often found speaking to one another in packed venues around the globe. In July, for example, Jordan Peterson, Douglas Murray and Mr. Harris will appear together at the O2 Arena in London.

But as the members of the Intellectual Dark Web become genuinely popular, they are also coming under more scrutiny. On April 21, Kanye West crystallized this problem when he tweeted seven words that set Twitter on fire: “I love the way Candace Owens thinks.”

Candace Owens, the communications director for Turning Point USA, is a sharp, young, black conservative — a telegenic speaker with killer instincts who makes videos with titles like “How to Escape the Democrat Plantation” and “The Left Thinks Black People Are Stupid.” Mr. West’s praise for her was sandwiched inside a longer thread that referenced many of the markers of the Intellectual Dark Web, like the tyranny of thought policing and the importance of independent thinking. He was photographed watching a Jordan Peterson video.

All of a sudden, it seemed, the I.D.W. had broken through to the culture-making class, and a few in the group flirted with embracing Ms. Owens as their own.

Yet Ms. Owens is a passionate Trump supporter who has dismissed racism as a threat to black people while arguing, despite evidence to the contrary, that immigrants steal their jobs. She has also compared Jay-Z and Beyoncé to slaves for supporting the Democratic Party.

Chapo is problematic because of the subreddit versus Alex Jones a just a platform asking questions

quote:

An additional challenge is that as the free-floating anger they stoke finds community, it is escalating and souring into sometimes violent and ugly rhetoric — the kind of rhetoric that other Democratic contenders have fashioned into a major critique of Mr. Sanders.

On Monday, the Sanders campaign fired a campaign organizer, Ben Mora, after his private Twitter feed was revealed to include derogatory comments about 2020 candidates. The Chapo hosts publicly supported Mr. Mora, praising his organizing work and saying, “I hope the campaign doesn’t cave to these whiners and losers.”

For the hosts and their fans, those sort of tweets and the podcast language are all jokes. The audience understands the difference, they argue, and anyway the real problem with the Democrats is that they’re overly sensitive. A bunch of self-serious P.M.C.s (members of the professional-managerial class).

Over the summer, the “Chapo Trap House” message board, which has nearly 153,000 members who chat about the news and memes of the day, was censured by Reddit, which hosts it. The page now has limited reach and is in a sort of digital purgatory, where it remains.

“The reason for the quarantine is that we have observed repeated rule-breaking behavior in your community, especially in the form of encouragement of violence,” Reddit administrators wrote to the group. Comments considered in violation included jokes around historically violent left-wing populist revolutions, like who goes to the guillotine first.

While Hitler jokes are well understood as vile, there is less consensus on what to do when Stalin is the punchline.

“If you want to kick off ironic Nazis, what do you do with the ironic Maoists and ironic Stalinists?”
said Andrew Marantz, author of “Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation.”

After receiving their punishment, Chapo moderators wrote to Reddit frustrated: “Are all references to gulags to be considered violent content?”

compared to:

quote:

Emphasis is one problem. Associating with genuinely bad people is another.

Go a click in one direction and the group is enhanced by intellectuals with tony affiliations like Steven Pinker at Harvard. But go a click in another and you’ll find alt-right figures like Stefan Molyneux and Milo Yiannopoulos and conspiracy theorists like Mike Cernovich (the #PizzaGate huckster) and Alex Jones (the Sandy Hook shooting denier).

It’s hard to draw boundaries around an amorphous network, especially when each person in it has a different idea of who is beyond the pale.

I don’t know that we are in the position to police it,” Mr. Rubin said. “If this thing becomes something massive — a political or social movement — then maybe we’d need to have some statement of principles. For now, we’re just a crew of people trying to have the kind of important conversations that the mainstream won’t.”

But is a statement of principles necessary to make a judgment call about people like Mr. Cernovich, Mr. Molyneux and Mr. Yiannopoulos? Mr. Rubin has hosted all three on his show. And he appeared on a typically unhinged episode of Mr. Jones’s radio show, “Infowars.” Mr. Rogan regularly lets Abby Martin — a former 9/11 Truther who is strangely sympathetic to the regimes in Syria and Venezuela — rant on his podcast. He also encouraged Mr. Jones to spout off about the moon landing being fake during Mr. Jones’s nearly four-hour appearance on his show. When asked why he hosts people like Mr. Jones, Mr. Rogan has insisted that he’s not an interviewer or a journalist. “I talk to people. And I record it. That’s it,” he has said.

Mr. Rubin doesn’t see this is a problem. “The fact is that Jones reaches millions of people,” he said. “Going on that show means I get to reach them, and I don’t think anyone is a lost cause. I’ve gotten a slew of email from folks saying that they first heard me on Jones, but then watched a bunch of my interviews and changed some of their views.”