Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That’s the worst episode, I don’t think it ever gets that bad again.

I was thinking that might be the case. David seemed so genuinely angry at Griffin that there'd be no way the podcast would continue if he was already like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
As many of you know, Griffin is obsessed with Toy Story. He got to see Toy Story 4 early at a press screening (thanks to past and future? guest of the show Richard Lawson) and there is not going to be an emergency Toy Story 4 episode, but he will talk about it on the Filmspotting podcast soon, and eventually the Patreon commentaries will cover all four Toy Story movies.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My kingdom for a Neveldine/Taylor miniseries, I want it so bad.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Zore posted:

The best episode is the one on Book Of Henry because they both just absolutely hate the movie with a passion and its such a contrast with basically every other episode.

That is indeed a very good and fun episode, I agree to that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just got into this thanks to the forums and as I'm a big star wars nerd I went straight for the best of the star wars podcasts they did, getting into the actual director themed podcasts now (starting with Tim Burton as I have a love/ hate relationship with his movies. Paul F Tompkins calling Griffin a Beta Cuck was amazing.). Did just listen to the live show they did with Peter Serafinowicz and that was a bit of a rough one, i think his humour was maybe too dry for a live audience to pick up on. But I wish he'd come back again for an actual in studio podcast because he's a really funny guy and great at improv and going along with a bit.

Also I can totally see how Griffin could get on someone's nerves with his bits and humour but to me he's quite endearing in a cheesy way, but it's definitely not going to be for everyone.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Just Chamber posted:

Just got into this thanks to the forums and as I'm a big star wars nerd I went straight for the best of the star wars podcasts they did, getting into the actual director themed podcasts now (starting with Tim Burton as I have a love/ hate relationship with his movies. Paul F Tompkins calling Griffin a Beta Cuck was amazing.)

Oh my God, that was one of my favorite bits. The way Griffin just followed it up with "of course Mr. Tompkins, I'm sorry Mr. Tompkins" just destroyed me.

It's nothing compared to the magnanimous envelope bit, though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you like the Griffin + Serafinowicz comedy stuff, there's an episode of Hollywood Handbook that they were both on. And of course there's their recently cancelled series The Tick on Amazon Prime, which is very good although Serafinowicz isn't doing much dry humor there.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Griffin can best be described as a little stinker.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The latest episode about Heat (with Jon Gabrus) is almost three hours long!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you've been listening to their episodes on Michael Mann's movies, you've heard them mention Crime Story a lot. If you haven't watched it, go do that asap. It's on Amazon Prime. It's really loving good. In some ways it's a proto-Heat.

And it stars Dennis Farina.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this is one of the best podcasts. i give money to their patreon. i have seen maybe a single digit number of the movies they have covered because movies are boring but this podcast isn't boring. does anyone know how david has so much knowledge of britain

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Farg posted:

this is one of the best podcasts. i give money to their patreon. i have seen maybe a single digit number of the movies they have covered because movies are boring but this podcast isn't boring. does anyone know how david has so much knowledge of britain

He's mentioned a few times that he grew up in London. David Sims is a good film critic, one of the only ones I regularly read, and the main reason I listen to the show.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
As a Brit who partially grew up in the US, every time they do the bit that he was a teenager in England I'm so irritated that he doesn't have the softest trace of an accent from it. His references are all correct though so I believe him.

I'm working my way through the Kathryn Bigelow series since I'm coming to a new appreciation of her work and in the Hurt Locker episode the tangent they go on about opening Capri-Sun was fantastic but when David glumly said he never had those, he had Ribena, I felt comfortable with my American brother.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I find the show to be pretty goddamn uneven. It relies heavily on Griffin telling lovely jokes, while knowing they're lovely, to make everyone cringe and torture the other hosts. Every episode is like 1/3 longer than it should be because they have no filter and the episodes aren't edited down so it's full of tangents that go nowhere and general rambling.

Yet in spite of that it can be good and interesting and funny, and I periodically go back to it. It's an odd combination of genuine insight, actually funny unplanned humor and PLEASE GET TO THE loving POINT ALREADY.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

jojoinnit posted:

I'm working my way through the Kathryn Bigelow series since I'm coming to a new appreciation of her work
On the off-chance you haven't seen Near Dark, absolutely see Near Dark.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

clown shoes posted:

He's mentioned a few times that he grew up in London.

He's from WHAT?!

-BIG BEN CHIMES-

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Will do buddy

Also, I found the guy who loves the Star Wars eps

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1140666259446648834?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I both really like the podcast and hit the skip 30 seconds button way more than I should have to. Committing to bits that they know aren't funny with the idea that if they just keep going it'll come around to being funny again is certainly a choice, but not one that needs to be made numerous times in every episode.

I did very much appreciate their defense of GLASS though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

caligulamprey posted:

The Loveless is one of my favorite Bigelow movies, so I'd recommend that one, although I think I'm relatively unusual.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Catching up on Michael Mann now. They start talking about the plot of Heat exactly one hour and seven minutes into the Heat episode. Also, "And I star in 'The Tick', which hopefully hasn't been cancelled yet" is the "Wouldn't it be weird if Trump was president?" of 2019. :saddowns:

I think I'm going to end up owning the entire Michael mann filmography on Blu-ray (except The Keep) before the end of the series.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I loved the Heat episode if only because of David going 'I JUST HAD A CUP OF COFFEE WITH HIM' every single time.

I also liked Heat so much I ended up watching The Insider yesterday and boy what a flick, what a flick. Might end up watching Ali today too.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I'm so psyched for the Miami Vice ep, David is chomping at the bit to talk about that movie.

Comparing Mann working with his actors to an antagonistic NCAA coach is Italian chef kiss. I remember some story about how he and Depp almost got into screaming matches over how the latter was acting on the set of Public Enemies.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Personally I'm counting down until Collateral Sunday. I love that movie and I love Tom Cruise anecdotes and I'm hoping for a guest with something.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I finally got paid an have a copy of Heat hitting my doorstep tomorrow.

Also I threw down five bucks for the Patreon and the 5 minute episode that's just all of them with Emily Yoshida singing Kiss from a Rose instantly made it worth the cash.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The Patreon commentaries are really fun too, especially cause Producer Ben is really not here for some of the Marvel movies.

I watched Heat on Monday and was super hyped, so ended up watching The Insider yesterday, which just made me even more excited. So I decided to keep the Mann train going, and I'm watching Ali now and... BOY is this movie weird. I can't wait for the episode because personally it does not feel like a Michael Mann movie to me (much like how Last of the Mohicans doesn't feel like a MM movie for me too, but even Ali has some moments of Mann-iology).

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

stratofarius posted:

So I decided to keep the Mann train going, and I'm watching Ali now and... BOY is this movie weird. I can't wait for the episode because personally it does not feel like a Michael Mann movie to me (much like how Last of the Mohicans doesn't feel like a MM movie for me too, but even Ali has some moments of Mann-iology).

It's very weird, because it's got the traditional Mann stuff down. Guy is really good at his job, guy will do anything to keep his spot at the top, guy ruins interpersonal relationships in the process, but he's still really really good at his job. Sprinkle in the use of handheld digital video at the beginning and that's every Mann movie ever. It's the traditional biopic stuff after the first half hour that drags it down for me, like it's trying to do too much at once.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Coheed and Camembert posted:

It's very weird, because it's got the traditional Mann stuff down. Guy is really good at his job, guy will do anything to keep his spot at the top, guy ruins interpersonal relationships in the process, but he's still really really good at his job. Sprinkle in the use of handheld digital video at the beginning and that's every Mann movie ever. It's the traditional biopic stuff after the first half hour that drags it down for me, like it's trying to do too much at once.

It also doesn't help that he chooses to cover mostly the same period that WHEN WE WERE KINGS covered brilliantly.

It's easy to see why Mann would be attracted to it since, like you say, it's right up his street. However I don't think he really knows what he wants to do with it. It almost felt like he had to spend the first act explaining who Ali was for people who didn't know before he got to the 'real' movie.

Anyhow, to go back to MANHUNTER it was great to see Griffin gush over how good William Petersen is and how he inhabits Will Graham. If you watch the scene where he meets Lector in prison and compare it to the one from RED DRAGON it's night and day. Norton plays it like Will Graham had a bad day, but Petersen is almost fearful. He's broken.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Okay, you got it. That was my problem with it! The first fight sequence was fun, electric, and Smith was doing an incredible job replicating that Ali persona that's so famous. But then after that it's like reading his Wikipedia page. Which for some biopics might work, but for Ali it just feels like doing the things we've seen him do before.

I do think Smith is pretty good in it. The scene where he does the whole 'here's what would happen in the fight with Frazier' is uncanny. And once I got over how terrifying Voight looked with that makeup, he was pretty good too. Everyone else (save for maybe Foxx) don't get enough to do... for example, I just remembered Jeffrey Wright is in the movie and I couldn't tell you what his role was apart from 'taking pictures'.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I listened to the Catch Me if you Can episode on the way to work today and David is absolutely over Griffin's bits, it's wild. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the tail end of one of those three-episodes-recorded-in-a-day situations.

Currently watching Ali at work and hooboy, I've seen Jamie Foxx act very well and this isn't it. But then again I'm only seven and a half minutes deep.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Collateral is so loving goooooooood!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

stratofarius posted:

Collateral is so loving goooooooood!

One of my all time favourites. It's just so freaking tight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

caligulamprey posted:

I listened to the Catch Me if you Can episode on the way to work today and David is absolutely over Griffin's bits, it's wild. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the tail end of one of those three-episodes-recorded-in-a-day situations.

Currently watching Ali at work and hooboy, I've seen Jamie Foxx act very well and this isn't it. But then again I'm only seven and a half minutes deep.

He's also great in Miami Vice, even if he is reportedly responsible for some of the problems with the movie.

I'm really looking forward to the Miami Vice episode. The TV show was so loving good. NBC's website has the show for free. Go watch the pilot. It's really good. The pilot has a lot of the same vibe as the movie. The show defined US pop culture for the better part of a decade. The fashion, the music, everything. The show looks so good too. All these amazing looking locations and buildings they used to film. There's more, and it makes for some fun reading, but the show was really something.

The movie though, it's weird for me to explain. It looks so loving amazing. All the shots, the lighting, all the night time filming. It's beautiful. The casting is good too, except for Colin Ferrell. He just didn't work as Crockett. The movie is pretty depressing overall, which is honestly how the show really was. Yeah you'd have Zito and Switek cracking jokes. Crockett and Tubbs had some camaraderie but they were both clearly broken individuals who were barely hanging in there mentally (a common Mann thing). The movie did that but it swung too hard in that direction. The movie also didn't really set any trends in terms of fashion or music, which was a huge part of the show.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I’m another one that listens to this, WHM and Black Men Can’t Jump in Hollywood. Sometimes they all cover the same movie, which makes for an interesting comparison. All three are quite different: WHM is more comedy and impressions, Blank Check is more in depth context, and Black Men is more social commentary (even though it’s totally NOT a political podcast!).

I’ve had an epic commute over the past few months so podcasts like this one have been my savior. I started right and the beginning and worked my way through. I really enjoyed the early prequel stuff but I understand it’s not for everyone. I like the prequel stuff because they treat the films like a joke that makes no sense, which is true.

I really hate the intro song and the ads though, jesus they suck! Wish there was a way to auto skip rather than just 10 sec at a time. But I guess someone pays them to make those?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love the ads but yeah, that theme song is a zero.

Turns out that Collateral is streaming on HBO, which I haven't seen since it came out and:

1: Hey it's Jason Statham and he has hair!

and

B) I can't deal with Mark Ruffalo's look in this:

Unacceptable.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Mark Ruffalo looks so weird in Collateral and also he gets straight up forgotten about. A third of the movie is him trying to catch up to Vincent and Max, and then he gets shot and that's it, bye Mark Ruffalo. Kinda weird.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Oh and the bit with all of Ben’s nicknames got old pretty quick. Thankfully they don’t do it much anymore but they should have stopped earlier. Griffin’s memory is impressive but just stick with the box office game.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

I really hate the intro song and the ads though, jesus they suck! Wish there was a way to auto skip rather than just 10 sec at a time. But I guess someone pays them to make those?
I use Overcast. Setting the forwards skip to 30 secs and the back to 15 does the trick. As soon as an ad starts I tap forward 4 times to go 2 mins then if it's still going on, once or twice more and then back a little if I overshoot.

I don't hate the song or ads. I'll usually skip them but if my hands are dirty or I just can't then it's at least not torture to have to listen to.

Also I totally forgot Mark Ruffalo was even in collateral. Need to watch that again this week I guess.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

stratofarius posted:

Mark Ruffalo looks so weird in Collateral and also he gets straight up forgotten about. A third of the movie is him trying to catch up to Vincent and Max, and then he gets shot and that's it, bye Mark Ruffalo. Kinda weird.

Originally Val Kilmer was supposed to do it, but it all feels a bit too engineered to give you a 'shock' moment in a movie that doesn't need it at all.

Also, Frank Darabont did a huge amount of work on that script. He moved the location from NY to LA and I'm pretty sure the guy on the train story was his, as is quite a bit of the dialogue.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Disco De Soto posted:

Oh and the bit with all of Ben’s nicknames got old pretty quick. Thankfully they don’t do it much anymore but they should have stopped earlier. Griffin’s memory is impressive but just stick with the box office game.

It’s always great the couple of times they have had a guest on who doesn’t listen to the podcast, hearing them grow increasingly bewildered and angry as the Ben name bit goes on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Actually now that I think of it, the very first one I listened to was their episode on the Hulk, which got me hooked on the podcast right away. I thought it was a great movie and so did these guys! I was so confused how Marvel tried to brush it under the rug and push that lovely Edward Norton version on us. The father character was an imaginative and unique villain - so much better than ‘Grey Hulk’.