Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wish they had brought more heat to the Killer pod. The film as Fincher making movies metaphor is already played out. They were onto something more interesting talking about the hitman as gig work angle but kept pulling themselves back into talking about what they imagine Fincher's process is.

Griffin also keeps saying that Fassbender is uncracked in his monologue which just isn't true. First he betrays the monologue over and over, second he has the "how's not giving a gently caress working" line dropped, and then the end of the film has him admitting he's one of the many not one of the few. The whole movie is him cracking slowly and trying to get out of his work, and realizing that even if he leaves it behind he'll never be able to not look over his shoulder again.

I think they should've waited to record after Netflix put it up for streaming so they could've ironed out their thoughts. I do share the frustration they have with the limited release, I see a lot of tepid opinions on the film and I wonder how many of those people saw it at home. It can't be overstated how much the overwhelming sound design adds to the film, you can't get into the dude's mind unless you are also totally deaf to anything that isn't The Smiths as you're about to pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Agree on the Killer episode. I’ve listened to about half of it and seems like Griff is missing plot points again. Reminds me of the Decision to leave episode where they questioned if she loved the man when that was like whole point of the ending. This killer episode is pretty goofy fun at least.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

One part of the Decision to Leave ep was when one of the Two Friends (I think Griff) says that she made the decision to leave... him! or something, which is only funny because the Korean name translates to Decision to Break Up (future tense). The English name is more obtuse but the Korean one is pretty straight ahead about it being about relationships.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Why are they doing episodes on Aquaman 2 and Maestro? Just because they already did Aquaman and A Star Is Born? Is Bradley Cooper someone they’re committing to covering as a stealth miniseries?

E: as I’m leafing through old episodes I kind of forgot how many one offs of new releases they used to do. The Aquaman franchise is just a weird choice though

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 30, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They were doing all the DC movies at one point and stopped because it was too depressing, I guess they’re doing Aquaman 2 because Griffin insisted for some reason. And yeah they just decided to do A Star Is Born as a one-off so now Cooper counts as an alum

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I can't say I'm that interested in Streisand films.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Are any of her movies well regarded? I didn’t think they were but I suppose she fits the definition of a “blank check” director regardless.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The blank check concept is fun but I still just like hearing the friends be silly about da moviesh. The Austin Powers commentary is one of my favorite episodes in a long time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

The blank check concept is fun but I still just like hearing the friends be silly about da moviesh. The Austin Powers commentary is one of my favorite episodes in a long time.

I tend to listen to the commentaries while not watching the movies if I've seen the movie before, because the guys are really good at talking about the movies without you needing to watch. But they recently said on Twitter that the Austin Powers one should be be listened to while watching. Is that accurate? Are there lots of moments where they're like, "Look at that thing right there, which we will not refer to! How cool! Anyway..."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Are any of her movies well regarded? I didn’t think they were but I suppose she fits the definition of a “blank check” director regardless.

They all have vocal fans and detractors but they were big awards films at the time and she's without a doubt an auteur

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're all totally without merit

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
You always have the worst opinions in this thread lol

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’ve never seen any of her films and I can’t say I’m too excited about them but the nice thing about following along with the pod is watching things I never would have seen otherwise. Even if they’re bad or mediocre I feel it gives me a more well rounded knowledge of film and culture, plus the pod episodes are more rewarding having watched the movies.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I doubt I’ll watch all of them, but probably the major ones at least. Is that Yentl?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yentl and her version of Star is Born which isn't a good movie not directed by her but is quite the object for gossip.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’ve never seen a single Bob Fosse movie and I still loved listening to the episodes about him. It’s just a fun podcast with two friends!

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

MokBa posted:

I’ve never seen a single Bob Fosse movie

Dude! At the very least you should watch All That Jazz. Cabaret also has its supporters, but I'm a big fan of the book and was slightly disappointed in the film.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

thrawn527 posted:

I tend to listen to the commentaries while not watching the movies if I've seen the movie before, because the guys are really good at talking about the movies without you needing to watch. But they recently said on Twitter that the Austin Powers one should be be listened to while watching. Is that accurate? Are there lots of moments where they're like, "Look at that thing right there, which we will not refer to! How cool! Anyway..."

There are so many jokes in the movie that half the time they're riffing and another one will start cracking up and say something like "I forgot about that!" and then they'll get distracted by something else while they're trying to discuss that. If you're really familiar with the movie it might be OK but there's a lot more direct reaction to stuff on screen that other commentaries.

There are also several discussions about Mike Myers' physique which are much more entertaining when you are actually looking at his naked body.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

There are so many jokes in the movie that half the time they're riffing and another one will start cracking up and say something like "I forgot about that!" and then they'll get distracted by something else while they're trying to discuss that. If you're really familiar with the movie it might be OK but there's a lot more direct reaction to stuff on screen that other commentaries.

There are also several discussions about Mike Myers' physique which are much more entertaining when you are actually looking at his naked body.

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I’m behind on my commentaries but I skipped to Austin Powers and it was a good time.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

MokBa posted:

I’ve never seen a single Bob Fosse movie and I still loved listening to the episodes about him. It’s just a fun podcast with two friends!

Please watch All That Jazz

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Latest rumour is McTiernan who is the most hit hit hit flop flop flop director there is. Could be fun! Predator, Die Hard, Hunt for Red Oktober gets you one hell of a blank check.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Makes sense. Amanda Dobbins is booked and she is the worlds #1 Thomas Crown Affair lover.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've started listening to What Went Wrong which has a ton of interesting details about the production of various films. They do kind of take an attitude that the films they are covering did go significantly wrong (instead of it just being part of any large project that stuff happens) but I really enjoy their straightforward presentation.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, you can tell from David's letterboxed what's coming but I better not have watched Basic for no reason.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I remember Rollerball somehow being the more boring of the two

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Is it weird that, other than Spielberg, this is the director of whose filmography I have seen the largest amount of prior to the podcast?

That is a real "TBS Sunday Afternoon" murderers row of movies.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Are they really doing McTeirnan?

Because I’m a completely unironic defender of The 13th Warrior.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are they really doing McTeirnan?

Because I’m a completely unironic defender of The 13th Warrior.

Griff did the "and we'll never speak about that movie" bit about a McTiernan film on a pod, and david has logged Nomads, Medicine Man and Predator on Letterboxd.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Is it weird that, other than Spielberg, this is the director of whose filmography I have seen the largest amount of prior to the podcast?

That is a real "TBS Sunday Afternoon" murderers row of movies.

Aside from the classics so many of these are just my sort of movie: simple concept, 90 minutes long, and a big star attached.

Also I have to say, I made the disparaging remarks about Basic a) Before watching Rollerball which was DIRE, and b) before the last eleventy-million twists which swings the movie from "okay" to "sort of brilliant but don't think about the plot because it doesn't make sense."

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 24, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I watched Rollerball completely alone in a megaplex movie theater to review it for like a five dollar payday

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Apex Rogers posted:

I’m still salty over the My Neighbor Totoro episode being taken over by that I’m the Main Character guy whose annoying shtick is to turn the show into a weird power grab forced competition or something? I just wanted to hear them talk about my favorite Miyazaki :(

JD Amato was on the recent The Boy and the Heron ep and mentioned that they recorded the Totoro episode not long after his sister died unexpectedly and he basically went deep into bit-land because he didn't really want to focus on a movie about a sibling relationship, which is a huge bummer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why wouldn't you just cancel. C'mon bro

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Gaius Marius posted:

Why wouldn't you just cancel. C'mon bro

Do you have any idea how serious podcasts are?

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Yeah, that explains things. Too bad he couldn’t switch to another film or bow out if that was the case

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
JD amato is an all timer guest

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

algebra testes posted:

I mean, you can tell from David's letterboxed what's coming but I better not have watched Basic for no reason.

It's been forever since I watched it, but I remember loving that movie when it came out. An insane amount of twists, in a good way, and fun performances.

No idea if it holds up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a lot of talk about Heat 2 only being a prequel. He's talked about shooting again in Ciudad del Este so the sequel part is definitely being included in the project too.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
ROLLERBALL had the distinction of trying to use AIN'T IT COOL NEWS to drum up interest. They flew out Harry Knowles personally to view a cut of the movie, laid out the whole red carpet for him, gave him one on time time with McTiernan and he STILL gave it a negative review, that's how bad it is.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
A film starring Chris Klein isn't a "wet-chinned thigh-splitter?" Quelle surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao David just watched Rollerball. He was not a fan.