Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
The Medicine Man episode is great. It's fun to have an episode where neither host can even pretend any part of the movie is good, so it just becomes a loose hangout. Their enthusiasm for alternate castings followed by the deflation when they remember it's just Connery and Lorraine Bracco really killed me.

RVWinkle posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for an Android podcast app? I was using Stitcher until it abruptly shut down and now Google is shutting down their app next month. I just tried one called "Podcast Player" and it's not great.

Pocket Casts. Good interface, mostly free from clutter, easy to add Patreon RSS feeds to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Loved the discussion about Charlie Bucket's family and their giant bed at the end

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Pocket Casts. Good interface, mostly free from clutter, easy to add Patreon RSS feeds to.

Seconding Pocket Casts, its great

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gaius Marius posted:

Podcast Addict. Only app I've ever paid for

I can’t even imagine what kind of features would get me to fork over legal tender for a podcast app. Does it auto-skip ads or something?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can’t even imagine what kind of features would get me to fork over legal tender for a podcast app. Does it auto-skip ads or something?

It just had a very clean and usable interface at a time when podcast apps were incredibly poo poo and bloated.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

This 5th Terminator movie isn't good. It's better than Salvation but not by much. Can't wait for "Oops all lunch orders" though

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Medicine Man episode is great. It's fun to have an episode where neither host can even pretend any part of the movie is good, so it just becomes a loose hangout. Their enthusiasm for alternate castings followed by the deflation when they remember it's just Connery and Lorraine Bracco really killed me.

Agreed, and bodes well for the rest of the series. The really good films sometimes isn't great because like Red October they all go "I mean it's great no notes."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I hadn’t seen The Last Action Hero since I was a little kid. Basically didn’t remember anything.

Holy loving poo poo, this was a flop? I’d lose my mind if something this clever came out now.

PS see if you can find the hidden Danny Devito.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Hahaha holy poo poo the Last Action Hero episode runtime.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's a perfect movie for Scheer and Mantzoukas to run wild on

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I hadn’t seen The Last Action Hero since I was a little kid. Basically didn’t remember anything.

Holy loving poo poo, this was a flop? I’d lose my mind if something this clever came out now.

PS see if you can find the hidden Danny Devito.

The movie is amazing. I’ve always thought I lived in bizzaro world, being one of the few people who loved it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just amazing Annoyed David Energy in this episode.

Edit: "wrapping it up..." says David 40 minuted before the episode ending.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 25, 2024

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hahaha holy poo poo the Last Action Hero episode runtime.

you gotta wait for the Easter egg.

I think their final take on this movie (flawed but set the stage for other movies to get it right) is correct. There were many things they could have done to make it better but McTiernan was a coward.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don’t know if I’d put all the blame on McTiernan, it sounded like it there was a lot of bad decisions coming from Arnold and Sony. Including hiring McTiernan himself.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kind loving Thomas Crown. It's not Die Hard but a very fun time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Insomnia episode and Griffin is out here saying Nolan is the best director at getting two people in a room talking at each other in "epic philosophic debates" absolute insanity. You got me writing a list of all the things Nolan does well the only thing below dialogue would be the sound mixing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

gently caress I would love a Master & Commander directed by John McTiernan.

In addition to the one we have, not in lieu of, to be clear.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1774799035271913802

And for the Patreon, it's looking like Tabletop Games is gonna run away with it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 1, 2024

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Hell yeah. I was happy with both Lynch and Lee but I feel like it’s more likely they decide to do Lee on their own, so I’m glad they’re now forced to do Lynch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm gonna be honest, I've never been a Lynch guy, because I don't understand his movies, and from what I gather, I'm not supposed to. And I don't love movies I'm not supposed to understand. But maybe I'm wrong. Like, I kinda get that Mulholland Drive is mostly about the main character's dream world, and then we leave that dream world. But I can't really make that work with everything I see. For example, I have no idea what the homeless guy is doing in the movie. So I'm looking forward them talking about that movie.

I'm often not the best at reading movies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

James Grey should've won

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

David Lynch is the ultimate vibes filmmaker. Mulholland Drive has a logic to it if you want to approach it that way but most of his work is turning strange, hard to articulate feelings into images. He’s the only filmmaker, imo, who is actually able to capture the feeling of having a dream and probe the subconscious in any meaningful way. For your example, the guy in the alley in MD is the embodiment of Betty’s horror and guilt over her own actions. The diner is where she sealed the deal to [redacted] and so her mind has put something horrible and frightening in that place.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

thrawn527 posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I've never been a Lynch guy, because I don't understand his movies, and from what I gather, I'm not supposed to. And I don't love movies I'm not supposed to understand. But maybe I'm wrong. Like, I kinda get that Mulholland Drive is mostly about the main character's dream world, and then we leave that dream world. But I can't really make that work with everything I see. For example, I have no idea what the homeless guy is doing in the movie. So I'm looking forward them talking about that movie.

I'm often not the best at reading movies.

There's much to appreciate about the Blank Check podcast but they're actually pretty bad at interpretation of symbolism in film.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Looking forward to seeing how they deal with Inland Empire

edit: It’s just going to be a bunch more talk about early digital video resolution isn’t it

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 1, 2024

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

RVWinkle posted:

There's much to appreciate about the Blank Check podcast but they're actually pretty bad at interpretation of symbolism in film.

Yeah I think it was The Shining episode where they were like “it’s great how it’s just about a spooky hotel and that’s it!”

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Colonel Whitey posted:

David Lynch is the ultimate vibes filmmaker. Mulholland Drive has a logic to it if you want to approach it that way but most of his work is turning strange, hard to articulate feelings into images. He’s the only filmmaker, imo, who is actually able to capture the feeling of having a dream and probe the subconscious in any meaningful way. For your example, the guy in the alley in MD is the embodiment of Betty’s horror and guilt over her own actions. The diner is where she sealed the deal to [redacted] and so her mind has put something horrible and frightening in that place.

Yeah this is the way, and you don't even have to get that plot point in MD at the diner, it can as simple as the horror of seeing your nightmare out in real life.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

There’s a shot in the Twin Peaks pilot of a staircase and a ceiling fan in Laura Palmer’s home that is ripped straight out one of those nightmares where nothing scary actually happens but you just feel scared. That’s Lynch’s superpower.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think that while there's weirdness in MD it's actually relatively straightforward as a narrative. Nearly everything you see ties together in some logical way if you want to think about it like that. Of his weirder films it's pretty accessible.

It's handy timing though given that Isabella Rossellini just addressed Roger Ebert's famous pan of BLUE VELVET (In which he thinks she was exploited by Lynch) by saying that she was a woman in her 30s when she starred in it and she knew exactly what she was getting into. I love Ebert but it was still such a bizarre criticism to make and felt like he couldn't address his actual feelings about the movie and had to resort to this weird sort of fantasy where no woman would knowingly star in a movie like this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I was initially kind of down on a Lynch series since it felt like it might be a little samey but for most of his career Lynch was zigging and zagging in interesting directions and working with fun people, it’s only the last few episodes that’ll be kind of a slog

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
We also finally get Nic Cage talk on the main feed. The legend has been absent for too long.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
There has never been a nic cage movie on the main feed?? How is that possible.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Straight Story episode gonna be a banger, I can feel it

there should also be a bonus Ben episode on his meditation book

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fishing with the fam posted:

There has never been a nic cage movie on the main feed?? How is that possible.

Yeah it’s pretty incredible. I guess them holding off on Michael Bay has helped keep Cage off the feed.

Other possible directors that would bring more Cage- Scorsese, De Palma, Schumacher, Herzog, Ridley Scott, Mario Van Peebles

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 2, 2024

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Coens too

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:doh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Snake Eyes is such an underrated flick

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Snake Eyes is such an underrated flick

De Palma is an insane highs and lows filmography

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

WeaponX posted:

Yeah it’s pretty incredible. I guess them holding off on Michael Bay has helped keep Cage off the feed.

Other possible directors that would bring more Cage- Scorsese, De Palma, Schumacher, Herzog, Ridley Scott, Mario Van Peebles

Turteltaub series now.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Am I misremembering this or did David say something about not wanting to do a De Palma series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't remember him saying that but I am not personally interested in them covering him despite him being a great High Low director. The brazen sexuality and violence wouldn't gel well with the pod which is rather milquetoast.