Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Pocket Casts. Good interface, mostly free from clutter, easy to add Patreon RSS feeds to.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. I decided at the absolute last minute to switch over to Pocket Casts and I really appreciate the simple interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just to get it out of the way :

The 13th Warrior loving rules (in a dumb action movie way).

The boys are going to be wrong about this.

You're probably wrong about this.

I will be taking no questions.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

:agreed:

edit: I also think they’re slightly wrong about the remake being the better Thomas Crown Affair. I watched them both for the first time last month and I gotta give a slight edge to the original. I think both are fun but I just prefer looking at Dunaway and McQueen over Russo and Brosnan.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 11, 2024

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Sitting around a campfire, being insulted in a tongue they think I don't understand until I interject with a hardy "Hello, fennel"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

Been a minute since I watched it, but same.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Antonio Bandaras carves a sword from a bigger sword in it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Xiahou Dun posted:

God’s own truth.

Edit: hopefully Ben at least likes it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Also there is only one acceptable quote to open the podcast.

Don’t gently caress this up, Griff.

Edit : he hosed it up. Badly.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 14, 2024

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm folding laundry and this movie rules. I hadn't seen it since it came out. The only hard memory I had was the learning of language via fireside osmosis.

Post Watch Edit:
It still rules, good gore in all the right places. Some jokes, action is well shot.

I have more laundry and I don't want to watch Rollerball again, so Thomas Crown Affair it is.

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 14, 2024

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Listening to the podcast; gently caress, no Hosley. No wonder these opinions are poo poo.

So real talk: 13th Warrior was the go to movie for my old college Dungeons and Dragons group to throw on whenever someone was late or absent for a game because it was, at the time of its release, the best and most quintessential D&D movie made to that point. It’s about a group of mismatched warriors who go on a quest to kill a bunch of weird monsters, who go in half-cocked and then proceed to gently caress everything up but with a kind of inevitable forward momentum that sees them grind their way through. Its even got your classic D&D character archetypes covered: the deadly comedy relief rogue guy, the moody self-important noble with a dramatic backstory, the guy who insisted on making a character with a setting inappropriate cultural background and bullied the DM until he sighed and said “fine, you can have a katana scimitar, but it uses longsword stats, ok?”.

I can see why both audiences and movie nerds wouldn’t have been able to make heads or tails of it, but it scratches that very specific goal-oriented action feel that makes a game of D&D fun to play in the moment.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 16, 2024

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I kinda lost it when Banderas decided that Meade was a loophole and that Muslims were allowed to drink alcohol after all. Also, the scene where he uses the magical power of listening to learn a language in 10 minutes was extremely dumb but also one of the best scenes in the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've never seen it, and the music in this trailer is killing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeGbSOdedqI

Trailers from this era are wild.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Catching up with the Thomas Crown Affair episode and the reveal that Griffin was likely dumped because he went to see Lightyear by himself in the afternoon is maybe the most on brand thing that’s ever happened to anybody, ever.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I wonder if because it was Lightyear, a kid movie. Or the idea of watching a movie alone at a theater.

But watching movies by yourself is the ideal method I think now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kon confirmed. No Memories though, not even on patreon

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Shame, Memories and magnetic rose especially are def worth talking about.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Kon confirmed. No Memories though, not even on patreon

I've only seen Paprika so i'm excited.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Griffin pulling the name of the Namibian baby from Babies

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Thank you for agreeing to be a guest on [BLANK CHECK].

Have you seen AMERICAN PIE (1999)? Y/N

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Inkspot posted:

Thank you for agreeing to be a guest on [BLANK CHECK].

Have you seen AMERICAN PIE (1999)? Y/N

American Pie series derails gotta be in the double digits at this point

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Eraserhead... what a loving picture.

I don't know how the pod will be because it hasn't much plot and is mostly thematic and textual which probably isn't the best friend's wheelhouse but what a great movie.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Eraserhead... what a loving picture.

I don't know how the pod will be because it hasn't much plot and is mostly thematic and textual which probably isn't the best friend's wheelhouse but what a great movie.

I mean it’s got a helluva making-of story

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah can just talk the multi years process and all the Lynch friends.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I'm more excited for the TMNT commentaries myself.

I've only ever fallen asleep to David Lynch movies, but I'm willing to try again. Does this mean they are going to cover Dune 84?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Eraserhead has a plot, it’s just a strange one. I think stuff like Mulholland Drive might be harder to summarize for them.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I've only ever fallen asleep to David Lynch movies, but I'm willing to try again. Does this mean they are going to cover Dune 84?

Why wouldn't they?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I would love for a discussion of Kon that had a little edge. I find him a really compelling visual director obviously and love the topics and ideas he plays with but get to the end of all his movies and am like “huh? That’s all you had to say about that?” I think Paprika and Perfect Blue have massive ending issues (I actually think Paprika is pretty terrible taken as text but that is a spicy take I know). Millennium actress seems like it should just be my favorite movie but I got to the end feeling like the protagonist was barely a character in her own movie.

I think Paranoia Agent whips though. Tokyo Godfathers too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Skill issue

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think Lynch has several out of print films that are hard to find even through piracy. I remember going through quite the ordeal to find a copy of Crash.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Which film? Maybe wild at heart but that has an old blu ray still. Almost of the other Lynch films are on Criterion.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was referencing Crash but it looks like it's on Criterion now.

Edit: but I guess I was confusing him with Cronenberg.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 24, 2024

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Crash is Cronenberg…or am I missing something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is this a bit

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Would Lynch’s Crash be weirder? Hornier? The world will never know.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Horny isn't a top-ten adjective that comes to mind when I think of Lynch even though his movies don't exactly shy away from sex

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Sex always has really dark or sad undertones in Lynch stuff so yeah not exactly 'horny'

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also I don't know much about Lynch what is his Blank Check movie? Did any of his films make lots of money?

Edit: lmao wait was Elephant Man a big........ hit? And then Dune the Blank Check?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 25, 2024

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Also I don't know much about Lynch what is his Blank Check movie? Did any of his films make lots of money?

Edit: lmao wait was Elephant Man a big........ hit? And then Dune the Blank Check?

Yes, Elephant Man was massive. 8 Oscar noms and Lynch gets offered Return of the Jedi lol

Edit: also Twin Peaks season 1 was quite the phenomenon at the time

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 25, 2024

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, Elephant Man and Twin Peaks were both big hits by any metric, but you can also just look at him as probably the most successful avant garde director. Getting $15M in 2001 to make Mulholland Drive is pretty close to a blank check for a guy doing what he does

Edit: and getting like $50M or however much for Twin Peaks: The Return probably counts too

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

His whole career feels like a blank check in a way that’s pretty rare. Dude just did what he wanted, the way he wanted for the most part.