Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

DrVenkman posted:

Also, Frank Darabont did a huge amount of work on that script. He moved the location from NY to LA and I'm pretty sure the guy on the train story was his, as is quite a bit of the dialogue.

drat, thank you Darabont. As a new Angeleno, I felt an absurd sense of pride out of recognizing all the locations in the movie. When they headed into 7th Street Station I just about yelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
:woop::woop: it's finally Collateral day! I love anything that gives them an excuse to talk about Tom Cruise and I really like that movie! It's honestly pretty rare that they do a movie I truly love. So far I think there's only been The Matrix, The Hire, Ghost Protocol, Total Recall, Point Break (that episode made me watch it and I fell in love so that's maybe a little backwards), Inception, The Prestige, Memento, and Minority Report. And now that I've typed it out it doesn't seem that rare and I feel dumb but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for this episode!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I feel like that's a really weird list of movies to love for it not to include Heat, The Terminator, Terminator 2, and Robocop. Or is "truly love" a very high degree of praise? If that's the case, then yeah, they've actually covered quite a few, especially given how many episodes they've done in total.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I feel like that's a really weird list of movies to love for it not to include Heat, The Terminator, Terminator 2, and Robocop. Or is "truly love" a very high degree of praise? If that's the case, then yeah, they've actually covered quite a few, especially given how many episodes they've done in total.

Movies that stuck with me personally, yeah. I love both Terminators but neither of them is a singular perfect movie for me. Just a personal thing. I've actually never seen Robocop though :kiddo:

(Or Heat, for that matter. I didn't watch a lot of movies growing up and while I've by now seen most of the main ones you're supposed to I've still got loads of gaps in the B-tier of classics.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Very pumped for the just-released Miami Vice episode which is 2 hours and 45 minutes long, with no guest. David is presumably very off the leash.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Very pumped for the just-released Miami Vice episode which is 2 hours and 45 minutes long, with no guest. David is presumably very off the leash.

You can feel the excitement. I love an off the leash David episode.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I hope all of the ad read haters appreciated the amazing job Ben did in the Miami Vice episode.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
supremely disappointing that everyone called spring breakers of all things a superior film to miami vice

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Spring Breakers is a masterpiece.

Miami Vice is a really excellent mess.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The worst thing, the very worst thing, is when you arrive at an answer ahead of Griffin in the Box Office Game and you subsequently start to question everything you've ever done with your life.

Miami Vice, for all the complaints, has an extremely, almost ridiculously straightforward plot; Aryan Nation kills undercover FBI agents, FBI tips off Miami Vice to find informant, Vice puts two men undercover inside cartel; as drug runners, White Vice cop gets in too deep with cartel boss's girlfriend, suspicious Cartel Lieutenant double crosses Vice Cops, Vice Cops double-double cross Cartel. You could fit it on a 3x5 card. It's just that Michael Mann MIchael-Mann's all over the place with such fervor that you start trying to construct all these elaborate explanations for why this particular lingering shot of a pair of $50,000 gold watches has significant import that causes everyone to lose the thread.

It's great. The first time I saw it, I had the flu and a 101 degree fever. It's the best way to watch the movie.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I've been trying to watch Miami Vice for the past three days. The twenty minute 'romance' interlude in the middle is really testing me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Meanwhile I rewatched it a couple days ago and it jumped from "mostly like it" to "love it" in my estimation. This is the second time I've seen it and for all I know it'll get better the third time!

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I honestly feel like this is one that might benefit from an even smaller runtime. I'm talking 90 mins tops.

The romance really doesn't work for me, at all, so any time spent on it just bores me more and more.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

stratofarius posted:

The romance really doesn't work for me, at all, so any time spent on it just bores me more and more.

I mostly agree with you, except for that one scene in the club where Crockett and Isabella are dancing while Jose Yero menacingly stares on. It's shockingly effective visually, and requires no words to get its point across. You understand everything that's going through everyone's head without any exposition. It rules.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
The romance is the core of the movie, and I think you really need to buy into it in order to really love the film.

Also spring breakers is utter crap, barely saved from newscorp web short level by cliff martinez. benoit debie sleepwalks thru the movie. I saw it in theaters to support guwop being in pictures and regretted giving harmony korine my money about 3 minutes in

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The romance is kind of garbage as a romance, but this being a Michael Mann movie it’s main function is to serve as an example of basic human sentiment being an impediment to cold professionalism, and I think on that level it really works.

The best thing to do is just sit back and vibe on those scenes, because even if you don’t feel the chemistry between Farrel and Gong Li, you can feel the chemistry of Havana.

I wonder if there was supposed to be some Jamie Fox business in that part of the film, and if it’s liss is what makes the romance section drag.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah the movie really is more about vibing on scenes. It's like what Korine said about it. He loves the colors, the feel, the texture. That's the best way to sum up the movie. I love it.

Also Spring Breakers is a great movie. Weird to see hate for it in CD.

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you've never watched Miami Vice the TV show, you can watch it on NBC's site for free. There's a couple episodes missing. I'm not sure why but those episodes are always missing when the show hits a streaming site. It has to be a music licensing thing. Anyway, at least watch the pilot. It's really loving good.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I mostly agree with you, except for that one scene in the club where Crockett and Isabella are dancing while Jose Yero menacingly stares on. It's shockingly effective visually, and requires no words to get its point across. You understand everything that's going through everyone's head without any exposition. It rules.

Well, he really likes disco, right?

I gotta say, though I didn't like the movie, there were a LOT of great lines. I'm a fiend for mojitos, et al.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Been listening for a few years now and it’s one of my top pods. I always mean to watch along with them but never got around to it until the Mann series. I’ve watched them all except Last of the Mohicans (I had seen The Keep and Manhunter before) which I probably will this week. Fantastic series.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

To anyone who doesn't know, the Blank Check reddit is gonna start doing a Film Club styled after the show. First director to go through is Akira Kurosawa in the 60's.

All of it streaming on Criterion Channel too!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I haven't had a chance to listen to the latest episode, but it's interesting the are doing the pilot episode of Miami Vice. Mann didn't direct it, but it sure as poo poo feels like he did. I am guessing they'll discuss it. The pilot has Mann written alllll over it.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it. It's really loving good. It's totally free to watch on NBC's website.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the latest episode, but it's interesting the are doing the pilot episode of Miami Vice. Mann didn't direct it, but it sure as poo poo feels like he did. I am guessing they'll discuss it. The pilot has Mann written alllll over it.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it. It's really loving good. It's totally free to watch on NBC's website.

It is one of the better pilots in TV history. Some shows take a while to figure themselves out. Miami Vice is not one of those shows.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hearing the two friends talk about pilots made me realize I'd love to hear a podcast all about pilots.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Griffin defending Chicken Run in the Signs episode is peak Griffin.

EDIT: holy poo poo the box office trivia for that week is bonkers.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 15, 2019

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Its funny because Mann has talked about how it was actually CRIME STORY that he was most proud of and was something that he was more directly involved with than MIAMI VICE.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Its funny because Mann has talked about how it was actually CRIME STORY that he was most proud of and was something that he was more directly involved with than MIAMI VICE.

Crime Story is really good if no one here’s ever seen it.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Watching the Miyazaki movies for the first time for the podcast. So far my favorite one is Totoro, with Nausicaa a close second.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The cast has me filling in the Miyazakis I've missed, which is mostly the early ones. Just saw Nausicaä a few days ago and that was great.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The cast has me filling in the Miyazakis I've missed, which is mostly the early ones. Just saw Nausicaä a few days ago and that was great.

All the stuff they were saying about Nausicaa being too overstuffed is how I feel about Castle in the Sky.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Griffin McElroy is on the latest episode, I'm 5 minutes in and it's already off the rails.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Perfection.

I've been noticing the Miyazaki eps are getting really off the rails. I'm not saying there aren't good nuggets of discussion (the ep with Emily made me tear up and the Frank Sinatra gags in the last episode were great), but I can't wait for them to get back to a director that works in an industry they understand more of.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Having Griffin McElroy telling actual jokes and bringing new experiences and anecdotes was such a breath of fresh air, it's astounding that he spends exponentially more of his daily life podcasting yet he's so much better about not running tired bits into the ground or telling the same anecdote over and over than Griffin Prime is.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Sleeveless posted:

Having Griffin McElroy telling actual jokes and bringing new experiences and anecdotes was such a breath of fresh air, it's astounding that he spends exponentially more of his daily life podcasting yet he's so much better about not running tired bits into the ground or telling the same anecdote over and over than Griffin Prime is.

As a lover of both Griffs, this episode was like a burger with two slabs of beef. Twice the fun.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I've skipped most of this miniseries because I've never seen a single Ghibli film, but I had to listen to this one with double Grifs and it was everything I ever could have hoped for.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Pops Mgee posted:

I've skipped most of this miniseries because I've never seen a single Ghibli film, but I had to listen to this one with double Grifs and it was everything I ever could have hoped for.

I've never seen a Ghibli film either, but decided to do it for the miniseries and it's been a wonderful ride.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

stratofarius posted:

I've never seen a Ghibli film either, but decided to do it for the miniseries and it's been a wonderful ride.

I've only seen Howls Moving Castle but I often haven't watched the film's they discuss, I just enjoy the conversation while I'm cycling or something.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The only question about Ghibli films is "are they all masterpieces, or are almost all of them masterpieces?" so everyone who hasn't seen many (or any) should really step up their game!

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The only question about Ghibli films is "are they all masterpieces, or are almost all of them masterpieces?" so everyone who hasn't seen many (or any) should really step up their game!

It's insane how this miniseries has been homerun after homerun. There's no movie where you go 'this just blows'.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was really big into Anime as a teen an dropped off hard in my 20s (even caught Mononoke on its original theatrical run in the states), but I've been delighted going back and re-watching the Miyazaki films which all hold up like gangbusters - but I really do hope we get a super sleazy Ben's Choice before we dip into Jonathan Demme.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Jonathan Demme.
Hmmm that'll be annoying since the only one of his films I've seen is the remake and that was on a plane so not very optimal.

I tried to keep the spoiler so I apologise if that's overly vague.