Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

MokBa posted:

I haven’t seen DMTH since the theater, but my memory of it is that her eating disorder was more central to the film, thematically. It gets touched on a bit in the podcast but I was surprised how little they discussed it. Maybe it’s because I loved the film, but it feels like the guests did a very poor point of explaining their reasons for disliking it (beyond the very valid critiques of the villain). It just ended up not quite being the discussion that DMTH deserves.

They discuss it like it’s an theory about the film. But my memory is that the movie literally brings it up or at least gestures towards it. Weird tone this entire episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Naw, it’s a straightforward reading but is not mentioned directly and is still a complete movie without it.

I feel like there is a scene where the boy friend is clearly about to talk about it but bites his tongue or is interrupted or something. Which I guess stops short of a direct mention but I would definitely consider it textual at that point. That being said this is my half remembered recollection of not having seen that movie in years! But I definitely walked out of the film all those years ago with the impression that it was in there somewhere.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

There are a lot of people they should just do who are on the bracket. Weir is like suspect no. 1 for why is this dude here they will definitely cover him. But also they should just do weir. I wish they would do a lot more classic and foreign films in general.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like I loving love Bong Joon-Ho, been a fan since The Host, but they've made noises in the past about covering him so he's gonna lose my vote if it comes to it.

Yeah, this is true for me as well but also I loving love Abbas Kiarostami and just wanna hear smart people talk about him and honestly that is kind of weirdly hard to find.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

WeaponX posted:

I think FilmSpotting did a Kiarostami marathon if you haven’t already heard it

Thank you for this. Filmspotting has never been my favorite but I end up dipping into their stuff for things like this every once and a while and it is better then nothing.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Man, I am just not on this thread wave length I guess. I felt like these last two episodes were like self evidently the best the show has been in a while. The shorts ep on patreon is like similarly good.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah I want to go back and watch it now. Smith was telling a story about Willis and it was basically that Willis gave a poo poo about the McLane character even in that movie.

I also just watched Moonlighting a couple months ago and everything they said about Willis in that show is true.

I had a really rowdy audience when I saw that movie and it is almost certainly how good that crowd was but I always kinda liked it. I refuse to revisit it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I would love for a discussion of Kon that had a little edge. I find him a really compelling visual director obviously and love the topics and ideas he plays with but get to the end of all his movies and am like “huh? That’s all you had to say about that?” I think Paprika and Perfect Blue have massive ending issues (I actually think Paprika is pretty terrible taken as text but that is a spicy take I know). Millennium actress seems like it should just be my favorite movie but I got to the end feeling like the protagonist was barely a character in her own movie.

I think Paranoia Agent whips though. Tokyo Godfathers too.