Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Vampires is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

He also hosed up his back during production so it could be a reference to that period. Was confused about that bit as well

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t realize he was such a divisive guest, he’s got some dumb opinions but I always enjoy the vibe of the shows he’s on

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I read that movie as less “she’s a terrible person actually” and more about how bad decisions tend to snowball

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I think people get too hung up on whether or not a character’s horror movie transgressions are deserving of the punishment they get inflicted with. This is a genre where if someone is rude in the first act we expect them to be dead by the time the credits roll. I don’t think her one selfish action deserves a literal eternity of torment, but it makes perfect moral sense in a horror movie. Trying to puzzle out if a fictional character “deserves it” seems like an odd way to watch a movie to me. It’s also weird to only being able to relate to a character if they completely match your morality and decision making.

I think that's fair for the most part (I never got the pearl clutching about that one scene in Jurassic World for instance) but Drag Me To Hell is much more explicitly about moral choices

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Do you mean the Jurassic World scene where the babysitter gets the most brutal death in the whole movie? I think that was just funny because there are other people far more deserving of bad deaths, and she's, like...fine. But my god does she get a rough death. But the same could be said for Richard Schiff in The Lost World. Perfectly nice guy who saves their lives, and then he gets ripped in half by two T-Rexes. So it's not really a series that punishes the deserving.

Hell, Hammond dies of natural causes. That monster.

Yeah, the babysitter. It just read like Joe Dante looney tunes stuff to me because of the way it escalates, but it really bugged some people. It's one of the few moments in the movie that actually shows a pulse though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lenny is good and Star 80 is not despite the bugnuts production backstory. Never got around to Sweet Charity

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kind of weird vibes in the latest episode, they always seem nervous when they have a big guest on. Zegler seems nice though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Whoa who is it (I'm many episodes behind)? How can an episode on one of the best movies they've covered be an insta-skip for anyone?

Lin Manuel

Won’t hesitate to turn it off but can also see it being good

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lin is perfectly fine

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

*in the episode

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I sort of disagree, I don’t think they’re best at digging into technical stuff and usually enjoy them sticking to broader movies. Some of the worst episodes are like Eat Drink Man Woman or The Weight of Water where the opportunity for bullshit tangents is low. It’s why I was happy Kubrick won over Welles, it’s not like they were gonna spend 20 minutes running through Joseph Cotton’s filmography

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 2, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I wish David wasn’t such a pissy little baby about doing Kubrick

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The show has always been mostly half-remembered IMDb trivia, it’s just a fun conversation

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t know how much of a pass he gets when it’s the second-most discussed thing about him behind “his movies good”

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Had the same reaction to Lyndon I usually have to “secret masterpiece” movies: it’s pretty good

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jobs is pretty good if corny

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

checkplease posted:

It always felt like it was meant to be a stage play to me.

He started as a playwright, so more or less. It works better with certain settings than others but I don’t think staginess is a bad thing on its face.

I like him better when he tones it down a little (or it gets toned down for him), like The Social Network and Moneyball

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Been a long time but I remember thinking The Beach was definitely worth the watch, it’s a nutty movie

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lots of good options in there, even the obvious ones. Only folks I'd prefer not to cover are GDT (just tired of him) and Cronenberg (20 movies too many movies)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty much all the patreon options are good this time, I was dreading some of the franchises in past years

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah they’ve said they’d treat each of the Small Axe movies as their own podcast

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Asian directors ended up wrecking shop in the bracket, can’t say I’m sad about it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bong feels like the obvious pick over Park, he's a legitimate blank check guy (Mickey 17 apparently has a 100M+ budget) and actually having crossover success here in the States gives them a lot more to talk about.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Genuinely surprised Park is in the lead

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Surprised Nia DaCosta came back for a third go, she always seems confused by the format and the shtick despite apparently being a listener

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Listening to some old episodes and the automated ad thing is kind of a bummer, I’m getting almost exclusively scummy political ads paid for by Uber

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

The "Nolan sympathized with Oppenheimer because someone shot up TDKR" take might be the most baffling and I'll considered notion I've ever heard. Gotta say, I don't like Marie Bardi very much at all.

This honestly doesn’t seem more out of pocket than the weird ahistorical armchair psychology Griffin trots out every other episode

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fincher announced as the next series. Should be fun.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I wouldn't be totally shocked if Fincher makes an appearance on the pod, he and Sims did a very lengthy sit-down interview a few years back to promote Mank.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Nah Watchman is pretty bad

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is anyone else having trouble playing that AvP Patreon episode

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Nope, they still have five more for Fincher

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It was funny reading this conversation then listening to the actual episode which is unusually focused for them and full of praise for individual performances and scenes and has Ben nearly tearing up at a part he found personally affecting

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Nah that’s the correct take

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think Fincher is always working with the best scripts but his movies look so good it rarely matters

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

They were doing all the DC movies at one point and stopped because it was too depressing, I guess they’re doing Aquaman 2 because Griffin insisted for some reason. And yeah they just decided to do A Star Is Born as a one-off so now Cooper counts as an alum

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Are any of her movies well regarded? I didn’t think they were but I suppose she fits the definition of a “blank check” director regardless.

They all have vocal fans and detractors but they were big awards films at the time and she's without a doubt an auteur

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I remember Rollerball somehow being the more boring of the two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I watched Rollerball completely alone in a megaplex movie theater to review it for like a five dollar payday