Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

stratofarius posted:

Counterpoint: I love Griffin's sense of humor and I love David's dismay at his jokes. It's like seeing myself split into two people.

I'm going to agree with the fact that it is something and it can be very overpowering. Griffin's got a very specific kind of humor that I've described to a friend as 'if Fozzie Bear was a film nerd'. But I love that.

Totally this. I get how he's annoying but in the podcast he totally works for me, bad jokes and all. Dunno if I'd want to go see him do comedy though...

This was a good OP though I'd have gone more into that they've recently covered (late) Spielberg and Burton (all directed) more so than Kathryn Bigelow and Mann. This along with We Hate Movies and Black Men Can't Jump are also my three go-tos since they all cover movies from a completely different perspective, wasn't expecting to see that one referenced here so nice to know it's not just me.

I'm also gonna cop that while I love this podcast I've also never managed up listen to more than the first couple of Star Wars eps since yeah it just gets to be too much kinda. Might try the best ofs at some point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just listened to the Mohicans episode. Good analysis! I'll probably never watch it but I really enjoyed the DDL geeking out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Zore posted:

The best episode is the one on Book Of Henry because they both just absolutely hate the movie with a passion and its such a contrast with basically every other episode.

Omg yes it's amazing as it's own thing. I'd honestly be down with a podcast that analysed all movies like that. "okay we're going to explain this terrible movie step by step and you just stop us as you have questions". I guess it might only work for movies with that level of wtfness though. I have never seen that film but I know it by heart and never want to ruin it by actually watching it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

As a Brit who partially grew up in the US, every time they do the bit that he was a teenager in England I'm so irritated that he doesn't have the softest trace of an accent from it. His references are all correct though so I believe him.

I'm working my way through the Kathryn Bigelow series since I'm coming to a new appreciation of her work and in the Hurt Locker episode the tangent they go on about opening Capri-Sun was fantastic but when David glumly said he never had those, he had Ribena, I felt comfortable with my American brother.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

On the off-chance you haven't seen Near Dark, absolutely see Near Dark.

Will do buddy

Also, I found the guy who loves the Star Wars eps

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1140666259446648834?s=20

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Personally I'm counting down until Collateral Sunday. I love that movie and I love Tom Cruise anecdotes and I'm hoping for a guest with something.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

stratofarius posted:

Collateral is so loving goooooooood!

One of my all time favourites. It's just so freaking tight.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

I really hate the intro song and the ads though, jesus they suck! Wish there was a way to auto skip rather than just 10 sec at a time. But I guess someone pays them to make those?
I use Overcast. Setting the forwards skip to 30 secs and the back to 15 does the trick. As soon as an ad starts I tap forward 4 times to go 2 mins then if it's still going on, once or twice more and then back a little if I overshoot.

I don't hate the song or ads. I'll usually skip them but if my hands are dirty or I just can't then it's at least not torture to have to listen to.

Also I totally forgot Mark Ruffalo was even in collateral. Need to watch that again this week I guess.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

:woop::woop: it's finally Collateral day! I love anything that gives them an excuse to talk about Tom Cruise and I really like that movie! It's honestly pretty rare that they do a movie I truly love. So far I think there's only been The Matrix, The Hire, Ghost Protocol, Total Recall, Point Break (that episode made me watch it and I fell in love so that's maybe a little backwards), Inception, The Prestige, Memento, and Minority Report. And now that I've typed it out it doesn't seem that rare and I feel dumb but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for this episode!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I feel like that's a really weird list of movies to love for it not to include Heat, The Terminator, Terminator 2, and Robocop. Or is "truly love" a very high degree of praise? If that's the case, then yeah, they've actually covered quite a few, especially given how many episodes they've done in total.

Movies that stuck with me personally, yeah. I love both Terminators but neither of them is a singular perfect movie for me. Just a personal thing. I've actually never seen Robocop though :kiddo:

(Or Heat, for that matter. I didn't watch a lot of movies growing up and while I've by now seen most of the main ones you're supposed to I've still got loads of gaps in the B-tier of classics.)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

stratofarius posted:

I've never seen a Ghibli film either, but decided to do it for the miniseries and it's been a wonderful ride.

I've only seen Howls Moving Castle but I often haven't watched the film's they discuss, I just enjoy the conversation while I'm cycling or something.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Jonathan Demme.
Hmmm that'll be annoying since the only one of his films I've seen is the remake and that was on a plane so not very optimal.

I tried to keep the spoiler so I apologise if that's overly vague.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Wachowski series is great! Agreed about this podcast being entertaining even if you haven't seen the film they're discussing. I rarely have time to watch movies to the point where I've still not even seen Star Wars 8. I still haven't seen Stop Making Sense, sorry goons. I actually don't think I could recognise a single Talking Heads song but I really enjoyed the episode on it!

I've just realised that I've probably "seen" more movies via this podcast than I've actually literally watched. Sometimes they're descriptive enough that I very much feel like I "get it" and that'll continue since I will probably never actually sit down and watch the Miyazaki stuff (I've only seen Howls Moving Castle) or the early Demme's. A few years ago my friends got mad at me and made me binge all the Godfathers and Die Hards over two weekends, to give an example of how behind I am with popular culture. The Godfathers were great. I wish they'd stopped the Die Hards at 3. I've still never seen a Rambo or an Alien and I think those are probably the next thing I should experience, at least the first couple of each. I recently read an interview with Michael Biehn and it made me interested to see his acting against Sigourney Weaver in those.

This long post went very off topic and I apologise and blame the drink.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

This episode turning into Star Wars talk was a turn. I think their predictions were dead on? I haven't seen the movie but I have listened to two podcasts on it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

poly and open-minded posted:

I will eat my hat if they don't make a reference to Alien$ for Vampire$

So when and where for the stream, and more importantly; are we talking beanie, baseball, homberg or something easy like, I dunno, a yarmulke?

I'm gonna feel real stupid if they did and I missed it (I listen while doing stuff) but I'm 99.9% sure it didn't come up)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

dawg they made a big show out of it with David saying every letter

lmao they talk for like 15 minutes out of 2 hour episode about the movie, great job (movie deserves it)
they do an American Pie trivia game ffs

imagine Blade having just THAT opening scene and then it is just Wesley Snipes being an insufferable rear end in a top hat for the rest of the movie berating N'Bushe Wright without any dead bloodsuckers, thats John Carpenter's Vampire$

Ah dammit. I remember the American Pie detour but didn't remember hearing that.

Gonna go find a hat to chew in shame when I give that episode a relisten. I listened right after today's special features release of Santa Clause which was much easier of a listen cause that was a childhood semi-regular and I've come to kinda enjoy how into those kind of movies Griffin really gets.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I would help fund a biopic of the world's greatest fartist but only if the lead is played by a method actor.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Absolutely gutted that I can't listen to todays episode because my dumb country still have cinemas closed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

It’s streaming on HBO Max in the US if you are able to VPN your way to that.

Lmao I would rather drag a cinema rear end-end first across borders than sign up for a paid service in the US that I'd then need to cancel to watch one movie. Nah, this will be a "give me an easy option or its :filez: time until I support the purchase via hard media release later" situation sadly.

I was even able to see Tenet in a pretty private and safe feeling experience so I don't know what changed so much for cinemas since then.