Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kubrick was fantastic so now I'm going back through Carpenter and really digging the David's Baby looks like the Boss Baby bit.

Up there with the Sully bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me: people seem to love this Barry Lyndon but I'm built different.

15 minutes in: this is the greatest film known to man.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Next series is Danny Boyle which is going to be a wild ride: Some stone cold classics, some stone cold flops, best picture winner, Aaron Sorkin, some dude slicing his own arm off.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The big question is, do I just watch the good films and skip all the stinkers or do you think to really get the Danny Boyle Experience I need to watch The Beach?

checkplease posted:

I realized looking at his filmography that I have never watched Trainspotting. Wondering if that is going to feel aged now.

My brother in christ, same.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Shallow Grave is so awesome. Def time for a rewatch. Surprised they don't mention Kerry Fox

Watched it last night and loved it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trainspotting loving rules my god.

Onto whatever hosed up little film is next and after that The Beach!

Re sorkin: I love Social Network and liked Jobs but every critisim in this thread is valid. I have been rewatching The Newsroom and holy gently caress it's bad lmao.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A life less ordinary sure is a motion picture. It did make me laugh out loud and is wierd enough to make a great podcast episode.

The Beach was just as good as I remembered. No notes.

Onto a great run: 28 Days, Millions and Sun Motherfucking Shine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A Life Less Ordinary Pod is as good as I hoped.

Also I swear to god the Beach is going to be 3 hours long, like the Trainspotting episode.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The beach is only 2 and a half.

But its got Emily Yoshida!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Peter Weir would be great but they boys would probably drive me mad talking about The Australian Pschye and Gallipoli. But there are so many interesting films!

Jackson I would love but I love those LOTR films too much I probably wouldn't handle any criticism of them.

Bong and Takovsky would be my pick just for variety's sake.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shame is basically "Horny Jail: The Movie" lmao.

McQueen would be interesting in terms of a black English voice. I am confused as to where they get 9 films for him unless they mean 4 features plus 5 Small Axe films.

Also I'm spiritually an old man so I liked Davey Rees.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally watched the Killing, what a great film.

Time to boot up Millions and see what the fuss is about.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God I need a David Lean series so bad. That run of 3 bangers in a row is up there with the 2001 -> Shinning Kubrick run.

Edit: normally I'm extremely Pro Non White Voices but Lean's movies are so important to everyone who ever made a film.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Slumdog pod is up there with my favorite pods.

Great guest

Knowledgeable discussion.

Griffin not not being insufferable.

Good bits.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not over the revelation of the book having him goto war with Pakistan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bong is seven votes in the lead good grief.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Welcome to another installment in the “If This Happened to Ben Hosley, It Wouldn’t Have Gone Down Like That” series of films

:getin:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't do it.

Lasted 15 minutes in the film and 15 minutes in the episode. I'm too squeamish.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

My dream of making a ten hour "all-box-office-game" supercut is now growing ever closer.

Oh god yes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
20 min in and David is screaming at Griff about Steve Jobs so this might just be a great episode.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God and I was already in the Steve Jobs is good camp but now I want to rewatch it again.

Also I love the line "We showed a lot of happy people drinking Pepsi. We didn't say the world was going to end if you bought a Dr. Pepper!"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite part of T2: Trainspotting is the part where it references the original Trainspotting.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that was strange.

The Oz bit was great though and the gang talked me into likes T2 more than I thought I liked it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday sounds like a total drug trip of a movie. And David losing his mind was very funny.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1666803314271604736?s=20

Better start watching I guess!

I am not sure how legally to watch the first two, maybe I'll go straight into JSA.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So uh this Joint Security Area film seems really good...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I didn't watch fear and desire or killers kiss and the Kubrick series was still one of my favorites.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Top tier ad at the 30 min mark for the new ep.

Great episode so far.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sympathy for Mr Vengence: How did people not love this film at time of release. Drive out American conglomerates!

Edit: 5 minutes later something extremely hosed happens: ahh well, nevertheless...

Edit JSA episode probably dropping a hint for a future podcast.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 25, 2023

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:staredog:

Oldboy huh.

Edit: next series spoiler David just logged The Game and Panic Room so it's obviously Fincher next because Griff hinted at it in JSA

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 1, 2023

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't like I'm A Cyborg, But That's Okay, but that's okay because I can't wait to get back to my boy Song Kang-Ho with Thirst.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Cyborg ep was recorded so long ago its out of date because they talk about Twitter.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

poly and open-minded posted:

I want Karen Chee on every episode

This. Also, she also summed up what I felt about the movie quite nicely.

And also the Oppenheimer episode was a good one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That Stuart Little gag had me in stitches. And that is why insight or no, I listen to the podcast.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

Fincher announced as the next series. Should be fun.

And they went with the name Curious Pod of Benjamin Buttcast too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man Alien 3 is definately better than I remember, it sort of sags a little and the ending sequence felt nonsensical to me with the running but has some really great moments.

Still better than TCCOBB.

Edit: I have seen Se7en roughly a million times... but gently caress it's so good. And it's so much better than Alien 3 and such an authoritative statement of film making its incredible. And it's not even his best Serial Killer film. I most forget how good it is each time I watch it.

The Game is a personal favorite of mine that I can't wait to rewatch.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 14, 2023

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao Zodiac is simultaneously creepier, and also funnier than I remember.

"Murder, cabbie."
"Wasn't me, I was asleep with my wife."

"Oh yes he called, I was out, he spoke to my house keeper. Didn't leave a number."
"He's kinda crafty like that."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... calm down your opening credits don't need to go this loving hard. :eyepop:

Edit: reminder that Fincher did the teaser trailer for this which was set to Immigrant Song and had the the tag "get ready for the feel bad hit of the season" and also went extremely hard.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah gently caress this Ben Button pod. They got a bad case of the contrarians, news flash, just because people called something tepid Oscar bait at the time doesn't mean you have to try and reclaim it, especially if it is in fact and demonstrably tepid Oscar bait.

Yeah never liked it. Like his decision to leave is stupid and not part of a secret awesome reading of the film.

Like the Social Network though that film rules.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Zodiac over There Will Be Blood is the single most insane take I've ever heard. Zodiac is a good thriller, TWBB is the greatest American movie of the century

Neither of these two made it into Eberts top ten that year lol.

Edit: I liked the Social Network pod cos it's a classic "both hosts just like the film pod" and that's fun.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The deal with Ebert is he is great at writing about film, the art of explaining what he liked and what he didnt like.

But obviously the what he liked and didn't like could be pretty wrong a lot of the time.