Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I also like Miami Vice, one of the Manns many people dislike, and really now that I think about it, I've never seen a Mann I don't enjoy. So, we'll see!

Miami Vice really vexed me for a long time, I found it almost impenetrable the first time I watched it. It almost requires its viewers to detach themselves from the term 'Miami Vice', even if that's the only frame of reference it gives for what's going on. I think the director's cut is worth watching because of how much more agency it gives the women, but it does lose the crazy hard cut into Numb/Encore.

The only Mann I haven't totally enjoyed is probably Ali, but the first thirty minutes and the last ten are really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I'm so psyched for the Miami Vice ep, David is chomping at the bit to talk about that movie.

Comparing Mann working with his actors to an antagonistic NCAA coach is Italian chef kiss. I remember some story about how he and Depp almost got into screaming matches over how the latter was acting on the set of Public Enemies.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

stratofarius posted:

So I decided to keep the Mann train going, and I'm watching Ali now and... BOY is this movie weird. I can't wait for the episode because personally it does not feel like a Michael Mann movie to me (much like how Last of the Mohicans doesn't feel like a MM movie for me too, but even Ali has some moments of Mann-iology).

It's very weird, because it's got the traditional Mann stuff down. Guy is really good at his job, guy will do anything to keep his spot at the top, guy ruins interpersonal relationships in the process, but he's still really really good at his job. Sprinkle in the use of handheld digital video at the beginning and that's every Mann movie ever. It's the traditional biopic stuff after the first half hour that drags it down for me, like it's trying to do too much at once.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

stratofarius posted:

The romance really doesn't work for me, at all, so any time spent on it just bores me more and more.

I mostly agree with you, except for that one scene in the club where Crockett and Isabella are dancing while Jose Yero menacingly stares on. It's shockingly effective visually, and requires no words to get its point across. You understand everything that's going through everyone's head without any exposition. It rules.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Not feeling the current Carpenter series because Carpenter is a number one movie nerd director so everyone already had million of takes on him and rankings and reevaluations and what not, but

Gotta agree. I'm also not much of a horror movie guy, so this series has basically been a full skip for me.

That said, the next commentary series is the Santa Clause trilogy, so that will be a blast. Their episodes on the Polar Express and Christmas Carol were great, so I'm down for much more Christmas content.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I would love a Leone series. So much context, and would lay the necessary groundwork for an eventual Clint Eastwood series.

But also.... Peter Weir. Oceans are now battlefields.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have they ever had the featured director on an episode?

Chris Weitz sat in on the New Moon commentary, and it really was pretty good.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
The Medicine Man episode is great. It's fun to have an episode where neither host can even pretend any part of the movie is good, so it just becomes a loose hangout. Their enthusiasm for alternate castings followed by the deflation when they remember it's just Connery and Lorraine Bracco really killed me.

RVWinkle posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for an Android podcast app? I was using Stitcher until it abruptly shut down and now Google is shutting down their app next month. I just tried one called "Podcast Player" and it's not great.

Pocket Casts. Good interface, mostly free from clutter, easy to add Patreon RSS feeds to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Hahaha holy poo poo the Last Action Hero episode runtime.