Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Is Griffin being crazy or is hotel Transylvania actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Star Wars episodes are different in a lot of ways from the rest of the episodes.

The fun of the Star Wars eps is listening to them quietly go crazy halfway in when they realize what they committed to.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Catching up on Michael Mann now. They start talking about the plot of Heat exactly one hour and seven minutes into the Heat episode. Also, "And I star in 'The Tick', which hopefully hasn't been cancelled yet" is the "Wouldn't it be weird if Trump was president?" of 2019. :saddowns:

I think I'm going to end up owning the entire Michael mann filmography on Blu-ray (except The Keep) before the end of the series.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Disco De Soto posted:

Oh and the bit with all of Ben’s nicknames got old pretty quick. Thankfully they don’t do it much anymore but they should have stopped earlier. Griffin’s memory is impressive but just stick with the box office game.

It’s always great the couple of times they have had a guest on who doesn’t listen to the podcast, hearing them grow increasingly bewildered and angry as the Ben name bit goes on and on.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

The worst thing, the very worst thing, is when you arrive at an answer ahead of Griffin in the Box Office Game and you subsequently start to question everything you've ever done with your life.

Miami Vice, for all the complaints, has an extremely, almost ridiculously straightforward plot; Aryan Nation kills undercover FBI agents, FBI tips off Miami Vice to find informant, Vice puts two men undercover inside cartel; as drug runners, White Vice cop gets in too deep with cartel boss's girlfriend, suspicious Cartel Lieutenant double crosses Vice Cops, Vice Cops double-double cross Cartel. You could fit it on a 3x5 card. It's just that Michael Mann MIchael-Mann's all over the place with such fervor that you start trying to construct all these elaborate explanations for why this particular lingering shot of a pair of $50,000 gold watches has significant import that causes everyone to lose the thread.

It's great. The first time I saw it, I had the flu and a 101 degree fever. It's the best way to watch the movie.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

The romance is kind of garbage as a romance, but this being a Michael Mann movie it’s main function is to serve as an example of basic human sentiment being an impediment to cold professionalism, and I think on that level it really works.

The best thing to do is just sit back and vibe on those scenes, because even if you don’t feel the chemistry between Farrel and Gong Li, you can feel the chemistry of Havana.

I wonder if there was supposed to be some Jamie Fox business in that part of the film, and if it’s liss is what makes the romance section drag.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

It's weird how many of his movies I've seen without ever realizing they were by a single director. The only two since Silence I haven't seen are the Truth about Charlie and Ricki and the Flash.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Darkman is criminally underrated

I really need to rewatch that. I remember it disappointing me as a kid by not being Batman.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Jack Bandit posted:

I love Alexander Paynes The Descendants but I know some people don’t so it probably wouldn’t change the mind of someone who already doesn’t like Clooney.

I did not enjoy 90% of that movie, but the Clooney/Lillard scene is just absolutely incredible. Just an amazing use of Clooney and Lillard's star personas and acting abilities.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Is it weird that, other than Spielberg, this is the director of whose filmography I have seen the largest amount of prior to the podcast?

That is a real "TBS Sunday Afternoon" murderers row of movies.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just to get it out of the way :

The 13th Warrior loving rules (in a dumb action movie way).

God’s own truth.

Edit: hopefully Ben at least likes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Listening to the podcast; gently caress, no Hosley. No wonder these opinions are poo poo.

So real talk: 13th Warrior was the go to movie for my old college Dungeons and Dragons group to throw on whenever someone was late or absent for a game because it was, at the time of its release, the best and most quintessential D&D movie made to that point. It’s about a group of mismatched warriors who go on a quest to kill a bunch of weird monsters, who go in half-cocked and then proceed to gently caress everything up but with a kind of inevitable forward momentum that sees them grind their way through. Its even got your classic D&D character archetypes covered: the deadly comedy relief rogue guy, the moody self-important noble with a dramatic backstory, the guy who insisted on making a character with a setting inappropriate cultural background and bullied the DM until he sighed and said “fine, you can have a katana scimitar, but it uses longsword stats, ok?”.

I can see why both audiences and movie nerds wouldn’t have been able to make heads or tails of it, but it scratches that very specific goal-oriented action feel that makes a game of D&D fun to play in the moment.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 16, 2024