Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just started listening to this pod. Pretty good, weird to learn Arthur had a podcast and all that.

What in the gently caress is wrong with griffin in the split episode. I don't understand how in the gently caress you can spend so long, and waste so much time not understanding anything that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darkman is criminally underrated

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lin is a moron

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lin made me wish that Travis would've spoken more

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh gently caress they're finally doing the best director

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat near everything that came out of Griffin's mouth about Nabokov on the Lolita episode was wrong, I hate when poo poo like that happens cause then I question everything else they're saying.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Lolita Podcast so far has been pretty Tepid too, to be honest. There's a billion words written on Nabokov's oeuvre and reading them without constant commercial breaks or pointless comments from the peanut gallery is much more enjoyable.

Nabokov himself didn't seem to find the film that fine though, there's a conversation between Demon and Van in Ada where he disdains plays and films because they're, in the end, the directors vision not the writers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look, he knows how to drive though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's gonna be something, He's probably the most critically acclaimed director whose work I find in it's entirety awful, but all in different ways.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rooting for Almodovar

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

March first voting starts so probably then

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not doing Kon eventually would be a crime, he's only got four movies. I would doubt he'd win though. Lean would be interesting, I've only Sean Lawrence and Brief Encounter, but there's gotta be something to a dude who can make two classics that are that fundamentally different.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Truffaut has a lot of good movies that are completely ignored, and he is remarkably consistent in making films enjoyable to watch even if they never quite hit the great mark. He goes back to the well on the same themes and influences enough that it's actually pretty interesting to see how his thinking on them ebbs and flows.

But, the pod has never really been that good at sussing out the psychology behind and around the characters. Or at least they don't have the space to adequately explore the views. So if they did the series it would look more like a bastard child of a Hitchcock/Spielberg series, which in many ways is what Truffaut is, but I don't find that idea particularly compelling to listen to.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GDT is one of the most inexplicably dick ridden directors by critics I've ever seen. Getting the fish loving movie to win best picture is absolute nonsense. And Nightmare Alley absolutely didn't justify getting a seat at the table last year.

If they wanna do a foreign director they should go for one that isn't already getting blown by every Tom Dick and Harry in the industry.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Park did the Handmaiden which is the best movie of boths filmography

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thank god

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally giving me the excuse to see Stoker.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silent Comedies are fun to watch, but they don't exactly have a lot of meat on the bone. Outside stunt trivia and behind the scenes trivia you just don't got a lot to talk about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When are they getting to Park Chan-wook's?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stoker is actually really dope. Kind of hope he makes another American movie again now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oceans 12 is a vibe movie where you watch beautiful celebs loving around Europe, I've seen a lot of apologia around it but the fact of the matter is unless you care about Celebrity more than you car about craft or artistry then the movie will fail you. Clooney has always been a mystery to me, I got to talking with a Co worker once about the man and neither of us could really name a movie we loved him in, I like him in Fantastic Fox and Dusk til Dawn, but never loved him in anything. And some of his roles are overrated to hell, Burn After Read g for example, a good Film that people have posteriorly adjusted to great in a misguided attempt to right perceived wrongs.

On the other hand, that's actually more in the spirit of the original Film than even elevens remake is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The "Nolan sympathized with Oppenheimer because someone shot up TDKR" take might be the most baffling and I'll considered notion I've ever heard. Gotta say, I don't like Marie Bardi very much at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Griffin says so much dumb poo poo I don't even hear it most the time. Like I refuse to comprehend the words, he's just a vague Guage of generalized podcast enthusiasm or disappointment.like the Playboi Carti of podcasters

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It shouldn't just be that though. Podcast is feeling like they're doing it for a career, there's a lck of joy in it as well as a lack of curiosity towards the films.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man the Stoker pod is so old they have the news about the Narnia books getting adapted and rebooted, but before Gerwig was attached. Wonder how they're feeling about the adaptions now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's good, handmaiden is great. You can double back if you want, it's sort of an interesting dead end in his career.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fincher's got a real rubberband of a career. Gets his ticket with the sublime Seven, follows it up with The Game a film that is fun but hardly great, then comes out with Fight Club one of the best films from a year of absolute bangers, down again with Panic Room a perfectly okay film, Then Zodiac a film that got snubbed for zero reason and is perhaps his best film, he swings back with Benjamin Button one of the most awful award chasing piles of poo poo I've ever seen, then finally breaks the pattern with Social Network which is good although I find some of the praise unearned. Then it's pretty smooth sailing for him until Mank which despite the protestations of some insane Mankophiles is a movie that simply does not exist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Theatrical is the intended viewing experience

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Game convo is one of the few times I'm fully in Griffin's camp and outside Sim's; the idea of it being about a man so wealthy he cannot process what is real and what is fake is intriguing but the execution is just not there. Griffin's undercutting of the point is the same as my own, it's a good cable movie, but hardly a worthy title to follow up Seven.

I'd rate it worse than 8mm tbh.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah gently caress this Ben Button pod. They got a bad case of the contrarians, news flash, just because people called something tepid Oscar bait at the time doesn't mean you have to try and reclaim it, especially if it is in fact and demonstrably tepid Oscar bait.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

Here’s my case of the contrarians: The Social Network loving sucks and the world would be better of if it was never made.

Totally correct. Social Network is a poor film with a bad ending and awful dialogue.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When I hear a "take" and the first consideration is not their reaction to the film, but rather than to the reaction of the straw man critic then I know their opinion is unfortunately nonsense.

They spend thrice the time talking about the general meh the film received then on why the film should be considered good. And their reasoning for why it should be reconsidered is ill considered. Smatterings of standard sentimentality mixed with boring digressions and a circumlocutory screenplay does not a great film make unless you're trying to play Pacino.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Griffin, amateur psychologist, was absolutely terrible during the Mann season.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Props on them for recognizing The Double. One of the best 3.5 star movies ever, too bad the director didn't ever get to do anything again. One of Eisenberg's best performances.

Griffin's take on Blackhat is spot on. In Heat 2 Mann has Chris basically say what Griffin said on the pod. It doesn't matter that they were the best crew in the world, they were fighting over chump change at incredible risk because they couldn't adapt.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 29, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zodiac over There Will Be Blood is the single most insane take I've ever heard. Zodiac is a good thriller, TWBB is the greatest American movie of the century

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not taking anyone's opinion into consideration when they have a No Country av. You're trying to sow confusion regarding that theatrical year.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I love how bad Ebert's taste is. That Into the Wild film is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Everything about that movie (and the book) makes me absolutely furious.

I can’t even summarize it into a quip. It’s like the Mr. Burns’ diseases thing but with rage.

I feel the same way about that film as I do about the novel The Alchemist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fincher is pretty open about The Game being a tough film to end, there is also an alternate where he doesn't meet her at the end but imo both are pretty weak. Back half of that movie really loses the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

With the amount of cross over between Blank Cheque and Big Picture lately I'm starting to get the feeling the two friends are being soft rolled into the Ringer network