Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Alright, I gotta admit something: I skipped Last of the Mohicans.

I watched 30 minutes of it and I was absolutely bored. Skipped to the translation scene, then the finale, and now I'm listening to the episode.

I'm not a fan of colonial America, and I really struggle to care about historical epics- the last colonial America thing I remember caring about was the Timeless episode where they get stuck in colonial times and the Stan Freberg album about the history of America- so I just went for the episode.

To be honest, The Keep took waaaay longer to bore me (I started getting bored of the Keep around the time Scott Glenn started boinking the lady).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

So far, all I can tell you is Manhunter great, Thief good, The Keep bad, The Last of the Mohicans boring (though considering the praise they heaped upon it in the episode, maybe that's just me).

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The Human Frame posted:

To be fair, they were very measured in their praise of Mohicans, and most of that was directed at DDL himself. Though their tangents during the episode made me realise how much I would enjoy a Paul Thomas Anderson or Buster Keaton series.

Yeah, I just remembered Dana going 'the last twenty minutes kinda save the movie', so I exaggerated on the praise.

Excited to see Heat for the first time ever.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Counterpoint: I love Griffin's sense of humor and I love David's dismay at his jokes. It's like seeing myself split into two people.

I'm going to agree with the fact that it is something and it can be very overpowering. Griffin's got a very specific kind of humor that I've described to a friend as 'if Fozzie Bear was a film nerd'. But I love that.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Griffin was pretty drat good on Podcast The Ride, but that's because his love of insane little details and context for weird things match that podcast's love of insane little details and context for weird things.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

In their latest Patreon episode, David is reeling off some facts and Griffin is going 'wow', and then without saying anything he just says 'Mater' in an Owen Wilson voice instead of an 'wow'.

I can never get angry at Griffin Newman.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

To me the stories and characters of Hotel Transylvania are absolute poo poo, but in a world where everything tries to be either Disney, matching that same quasi-realistic style (that I quite frankly find SUPER boring), any movie that goes as crazy as Hotel Transylvania just feels like an immediate breath of fresh air.

After I saw Wreck it Ralph 2 (an admittedly not good movie) with a friend, I told him the HT movies are like if the little funny details of WiR 2 that feel like people actually put effort into it (like the 8-bit walk animations) were stretched out over a whole movie with a story that was just as bad. That's the HT movies for me.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Both of them do seem somewhat similar to me and Keanu Reeves, though, in that we all just love movies.

We all love da moviesh.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The best commercials are the one that make David go 'oh no', like the Foghorn Leghorn one which is only about Foghorn Leghorn.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Just Chamber posted:

Just got into this thanks to the forums and as I'm a big star wars nerd I went straight for the best of the star wars podcasts they did, getting into the actual director themed podcasts now (starting with Tim Burton as I have a love/ hate relationship with his movies. Paul F Tompkins calling Griffin a Beta Cuck was amazing.)

Oh my God, that was one of my favorite bits. The way Griffin just followed it up with "of course Mr. Tompkins, I'm sorry Mr. Tompkins" just destroyed me.

It's nothing compared to the magnanimous envelope bit, though.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

clown shoes posted:

He's mentioned a few times that he grew up in London.

He's from WHAT?!

-BIG BEN CHIMES-

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I loved the Heat episode if only because of David going 'I JUST HAD A CUP OF COFFEE WITH HIM' every single time.

I also liked Heat so much I ended up watching The Insider yesterday and boy what a flick, what a flick. Might end up watching Ali today too.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The Patreon commentaries are really fun too, especially cause Producer Ben is really not here for some of the Marvel movies.

I watched Heat on Monday and was super hyped, so ended up watching The Insider yesterday, which just made me even more excited. So I decided to keep the Mann train going, and I'm watching Ali now and... BOY is this movie weird. I can't wait for the episode because personally it does not feel like a Michael Mann movie to me (much like how Last of the Mohicans doesn't feel like a MM movie for me too, but even Ali has some moments of Mann-iology).

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Coheed and Camembert posted:

It's very weird, because it's got the traditional Mann stuff down. Guy is really good at his job, guy will do anything to keep his spot at the top, guy ruins interpersonal relationships in the process, but he's still really really good at his job. Sprinkle in the use of handheld digital video at the beginning and that's every Mann movie ever. It's the traditional biopic stuff after the first half hour that drags it down for me, like it's trying to do too much at once.

Okay, you got it. That was my problem with it! The first fight sequence was fun, electric, and Smith was doing an incredible job replicating that Ali persona that's so famous. But then after that it's like reading his Wikipedia page. Which for some biopics might work, but for Ali it just feels like doing the things we've seen him do before.

I do think Smith is pretty good in it. The scene where he does the whole 'here's what would happen in the fight with Frazier' is uncanny. And once I got over how terrifying Voight looked with that makeup, he was pretty good too. Everyone else (save for maybe Foxx) don't get enough to do... for example, I just remembered Jeffrey Wright is in the movie and I couldn't tell you what his role was apart from 'taking pictures'.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Collateral is so loving goooooooood!

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Mark Ruffalo looks so weird in Collateral and also he gets straight up forgotten about. A third of the movie is him trying to catch up to Vincent and Max, and then he gets shot and that's it, bye Mark Ruffalo. Kinda weird.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

DrVenkman posted:

Also, Frank Darabont did a huge amount of work on that script. He moved the location from NY to LA and I'm pretty sure the guy on the train story was his, as is quite a bit of the dialogue.

drat, thank you Darabont. As a new Angeleno, I felt an absurd sense of pride out of recognizing all the locations in the movie. When they headed into 7th Street Station I just about yelled.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Very pumped for the just-released Miami Vice episode which is 2 hours and 45 minutes long, with no guest. David is presumably very off the leash.

You can feel the excitement. I love an off the leash David episode.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I've been trying to watch Miami Vice for the past three days. The twenty minute 'romance' interlude in the middle is really testing me.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I honestly feel like this is one that might benefit from an even smaller runtime. I'm talking 90 mins tops.

The romance really doesn't work for me, at all, so any time spent on it just bores me more and more.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I mostly agree with you, except for that one scene in the club where Crockett and Isabella are dancing while Jose Yero menacingly stares on. It's shockingly effective visually, and requires no words to get its point across. You understand everything that's going through everyone's head without any exposition. It rules.

Well, he really likes disco, right?

I gotta say, though I didn't like the movie, there were a LOT of great lines. I'm a fiend for mojitos, et al.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

To anyone who doesn't know, the Blank Check reddit is gonna start doing a Film Club styled after the show. First director to go through is Akira Kurosawa in the 60's.

All of it streaming on Criterion Channel too!

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the latest episode, but it's interesting the are doing the pilot episode of Miami Vice. Mann didn't direct it, but it sure as poo poo feels like he did. I am guessing they'll discuss it. The pilot has Mann written alllll over it.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it. It's really loving good. It's totally free to watch on NBC's website.

Hearing the two friends talk about pilots made me realize I'd love to hear a podcast all about pilots.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Watching the Miyazaki movies for the first time for the podcast. So far my favorite one is Totoro, with Nausicaa a close second.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The cast has me filling in the Miyazakis I've missed, which is mostly the early ones. Just saw Nausicaä a few days ago and that was great.

All the stuff they were saying about Nausicaa being too overstuffed is how I feel about Castle in the Sky.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Perfection.

I've been noticing the Miyazaki eps are getting really off the rails. I'm not saying there aren't good nuggets of discussion (the ep with Emily made me tear up and the Frank Sinatra gags in the last episode were great), but I can't wait for them to get back to a director that works in an industry they understand more of.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Sleeveless posted:

Having Griffin McElroy telling actual jokes and bringing new experiences and anecdotes was such a breath of fresh air, it's astounding that he spends exponentially more of his daily life podcasting yet he's so much better about not running tired bits into the ground or telling the same anecdote over and over than Griffin Prime is.

As a lover of both Griffs, this episode was like a burger with two slabs of beef. Twice the fun.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Pops Mgee posted:

I've skipped most of this miniseries because I've never seen a single Ghibli film, but I had to listen to this one with double Grifs and it was everything I ever could have hoped for.

I've never seen a Ghibli film either, but decided to do it for the miniseries and it's been a wonderful ride.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The only question about Ghibli films is "are they all masterpieces, or are almost all of them masterpieces?" so everyone who hasn't seen many (or any) should really step up their game!

It's insane how this miniseries has been homerun after homerun. There's no movie where you go 'this just blows'.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

jojoinnit posted:

Hmmm that'll be annoying since the only one of his films I've seen is the remake and that was on a plane so not very optimal.

I tried to keep the spoiler so I apologise if that's overly vague.

Demme's got some great movies, leaving aside the obvious ones like Silence of the Lambs, which I watched for the first time this year and made me vote for Demme in March Madness.

In other news, I managed to get my hands on a copy of the Joe Hisaishi/Hiyazaki soundtracks. I'm a happy, happy man. Listening to Kiki's soundtrack yesterday made me tear up a little.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's weird how many of his movies I've seen without ever realizing they were by a single director. The only two since Silence I haven't seen are the Truth about Charlie and Ricki and the Flash.

When I saw Rickin and the Flash in his filmography I let out this loud 'WHAT'.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

When Rees said "I think all interesting movies are either puzzles or dreams" I kinda went 'woah' for a second. Dude's got a point there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

That was probably one of the first times I really disagreed with the Two Friends, especially when they said Gemini Man is better than Joker.

It's just not. And this is coming from someone who had a blast watching Gemini Man!