Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Kinda surprised this thread wasn't resurrected when Rise of Skywalker dropped. I only recently got into the two friends but went through the OT and ST eps before seeing episode 9. Man, they are absolutely glad to be done with star wars and it shows in the episode. I tried to listen to the podcast with my wife (I think she listened in on the Last Jedi episode) and she HATED Griffin for constantly chiming in and interrupting David. This really is a love it or hate it podcast, but it was also probably not a great idea to have her listen to a Star Wars episode first. Anyway I'm listening to their Wachowski series and also trying to stay current on the Demme series but it's hard to find time to watch the films I haven't seen before listening to the corresponding episode. Gladly the show is entertaining enough even when you haven't seen the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

I wish they'd stopped the Die Hards at 3.

Everyone does friend...everyone does.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Blank Check posted its 5th anniversary special episode. I’ve only been listening for a few months so some of the clips of old episodes they’re playing are taking me by surprise. Namely, that absolute magic trick JD Amato pulled on the Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk episode. I mean holy poo poo, that’s probably the funniest thing I’ve heard on any episode of any podcast ever.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

and I’m David

:master:

Yeah I’m way behind too, due to being obsessive about watching the films before listening to the episodes. I’m on Escape From New York which so far is a great episode, meanwhile I’m trying to catch up on the backlog, in the middle of Spielberg. On the one hand it’s great to have so many episodes and movies to look forward to, on the other hand I don’t have nearly enough time to keep pace. Not to mention the Patreon episodes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Some crazy bastard went and did it, they made Wordle for the absolute dorks who are into this stuff: https://boxofficega.me/

I got 0 right

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I saw one of them in theaters and have never seen the others, and didn't even know two of them existed. It's pretty fun even when you can't figure them out, I just wish it wasn't one per day!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Gotcha, thanks. That at least puts me in the right headspace. Because I’ve been looking forward to their Spider-Man 2 episode for a while now.

I have too and I’m pretty disappointed Gethard is the guest

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gethard’s alright but he should have been on like the Crimewave episode, not the one for one of the best superhero movies ever made

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

His whole personality feels like a bit and Blank Check is famously a no-bits show

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’m still catching up on Raimi and just watched For Love Of The Game. What a turd that was lol

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah Hudsucker was one of two Coens I’d never seen and it definitely has both their and Raimi’s DNA all over it. Incidentally I’ve also been saying “buddy” a lot more since I’ve seen it. Such a blast.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It has real comfy bad 90s movie on TBS in the afternoon energy, so there’s that too if you’re in that kind of zone

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Five actually :eng101:

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1536139319081156609?s=21&t=1yNHy33GLwZqYkSs7rP-2A

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah I didn’t mind the fact that he told the stories but he commandeered the show to tell them a bit too often and they went on way too long, he’s kind of a poo poo story teller

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'd rather listen to Miranda talk about movies than another episode with, say, Chris Gethard or Kevin Smith

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yes, the fact that this is one of a billion white dudes talk about movies podcasts except the hosts don’t dig in with their strong Opinions On Movies is a good thing that sets it apart, tbh

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Very cool montage, have they done that before for March Madness? Reminds me of Erlich’s best of the year videos, wonder if he put that together for them.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’ve given up on trying to watch along with the Patreon, Crocodile Dundee II was where I drew the line.

I’m fine with any of the main feed options, almost all of them have major blind spots for me.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah that was a pretty lukewarm take and I also don’t agree with David’s issue with the tonal shift in SotD, but it also sounds like it’s a personal hang up that he can’t get past the dissonance of violence with a sort of winking tone. Him trying to compare it to Guy Ritchie movies is incredibly wrong though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That's a good point about Blank Check in general, and while it's nice that they have a dedicated researcher, I feel like it has caused them to lean a little too much on Fun Facts about production rather than really getting into the meat and themes of the films they discuss. They'll touch on it sometimes but it hasn't really led to a lot of satisfying discussion. Don't get me wrong, I still love the podcast, but I worry that they're a little too bogged down in trivia about the making of the films sometimes.

I am glad to see a lot of important East Asian directors on the bracket and I think one of them will win - probably Park Chan-Wook or Wong Kar-Wai.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Man, Sunshine really does own huh

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I like Sunshine more than Interstellar. Though I do get the criticisms of the final act of Sunshine, I think Interstallar’s final act is less successful. Nolan has a really hard time with making the emotional drama come through and not feel over-intellectualized.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Oh that doesn’t bother me at all with either film. I don’t really care about the hardness or softness of the sci fi.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Awkward moment when Griffin tried to call him "Sid" and was immediately corrected.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Do your part and vote Park Chan-Wook today.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That's kind of an aggro way of putting it but I agree he is wildly overrated

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Man I want to like GDT, he seems like a big sweetie and has such an infectious enthusiasm for movies. I keep watching his movies hoping I'll find something I like but just...nope. Well I liked Pan's Labyrinth when I saw it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hyped about the Park win. I’m happy with any of the remaining directors but I voted for Wong today since I’ve seen fewer of his films than Bong and the podcast is one of my main ways of filling in blind spots.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Either one will be an incredible series for sure.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Voted for Park but excited for either one!

e: holy poo poo it's neck and neck, only 6 votes separating them

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 31, 2023

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Holy poo poo lmao. Yeah do em both.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think he initially talked about that on one of the March Madness episodes. It’s becoming an epic BC saga

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The last 30 minutes of this movie were exactly as hard to watch as I thought they’d be, which is why I haven’t watched this movie until now. I feel like Danny Boyle is one of only a few filmmakers that can make this material work as a film, it was pretty stunning from a pure craft standpoint. Haven’t heard the episode yet but interested to hear how they feel about it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Just caught up with the Moana episode and had a hearty lol when they said nothing would top the Oscars moment when La La Land and Moonlight got mixed up. If only they knew

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I love angry David, he also ripped Ben a new one on the Olympics episode over some nonsense about who invented rock and punk or whatever

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Haha Podcast Jr. Perfection.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Train Spotterman

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

checkplease posted:

Good timing with them all on the criterion channel.

I wonder how discussions on all the racist portrayals will go: blackface, minstrel, pro confederate movie. Obviously it’s part of its time being in the 1920s and 30s, but two friends are not always the most deft with such matters. But maybe it’s easier since they are such old movies.

Just watched Three Ages and had a great time with it, except for one very unfortunate very racist gag. I’m guessing there will be a lot of this throughout the series, I haven’t really watched any Keaton outside of a few scenes.

Last National Bank was a serious lol moment though

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 26, 2023

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah Yesterday is definitely not that wild. It just makes no sense.

Ben's "Why didn't he just invent cigarettes?? got me good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Is Okja a remake of Go West? In this essay, I will