Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you've been listening to their episodes on Michael Mann's movies, you've heard them mention Crime Story a lot. If you haven't watched it, go do that asap. It's on Amazon Prime. It's really loving good. In some ways it's a proto-Heat.

And it stars Dennis Farina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I listened to the Catch Me if you Can episode on the way to work today and David is absolutely over Griffin's bits, it's wild. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the tail end of one of those three-episodes-recorded-in-a-day situations.

Currently watching Ali at work and hooboy, I've seen Jamie Foxx act very well and this isn't it. But then again I'm only seven and a half minutes deep.

He's also great in Miami Vice, even if he is reportedly responsible for some of the problems with the movie.

I'm really looking forward to the Miami Vice episode. The TV show was so loving good. NBC's website has the show for free. Go watch the pilot. It's really good. The pilot has a lot of the same vibe as the movie. The show defined US pop culture for the better part of a decade. The fashion, the music, everything. The show looks so good too. All these amazing looking locations and buildings they used to film. There's more, and it makes for some fun reading, but the show was really something.

The movie though, it's weird for me to explain. It looks so loving amazing. All the shots, the lighting, all the night time filming. It's beautiful. The casting is good too, except for Colin Ferrell. He just didn't work as Crockett. The movie is pretty depressing overall, which is honestly how the show really was. Yeah you'd have Zito and Switek cracking jokes. Crockett and Tubbs had some camaraderie but they were both clearly broken individuals who were barely hanging in there mentally (a common Mann thing). The movie did that but it swung too hard in that direction. The movie also didn't really set any trends in terms of fashion or music, which was a huge part of the show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah the movie really is more about vibing on scenes. It's like what Korine said about it. He loves the colors, the feel, the texture. That's the best way to sum up the movie. I love it.

Also Spring Breakers is a great movie. Weird to see hate for it in CD.

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you've never watched Miami Vice the TV show, you can watch it on NBC's site for free. There's a couple episodes missing. I'm not sure why but those episodes are always missing when the show hits a streaming site. It has to be a music licensing thing. Anyway, at least watch the pilot. It's really loving good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I haven't had a chance to listen to the latest episode, but it's interesting the are doing the pilot episode of Miami Vice. Mann didn't direct it, but it sure as poo poo feels like he did. I am guessing they'll discuss it. The pilot has Mann written alllll over it.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it. It's really loving good. It's totally free to watch on NBC's website.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Its funny because Mann has talked about how it was actually CRIME STORY that he was most proud of and was something that he was more directly involved with than MIAMI VICE.

Crime Story is really good if no one here’s ever seen it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Violator posted:

I’ve had this podcast in PocketCasts for a long rear end time after hearing one of the hosts on WHM years ago, but never started listening until the Carpenter series. I’ve enjoyed them all but these two really stand out as excellent. Going through the back catalog now.

The Michael Mann episodes are pretty good too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I am not that familiar with the world of Blank Check so I was very disappointed to learn that his last name is not pronounced “get hard.”

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

I never thought that they could make talking about a fun movie like DRAG ME TO HELL a chore, but here we are.

The guest hosts? I’m about 20 minutes and they don’t seem like a good fit for discussing this movie. Neither of them like Raimi movies that much.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I mean it’s four movies but yeah go out of your way to watch All That Jazz and Cabaret

Musicals are a huge blind spot for me because, to be honest, most of the ones I've seen or even just seen ads for, don't do it for me at all. I am going to make it a point to watch these 4 movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've been watching Bob Fosse flicks and I'm totally in awe at young Eric Roberts with a mustache.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1553055932350959619?s=21&t=nj6RyFbDNxDMjrB73CtgYQ

hell yeah

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I also remembered TCM is doing Kubrick this month. They finish it up tomorrow.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I was on a flight today and I watched the hell out of Draft Day. Glad to toss a few pennies Griffin’s way.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

RIP the David being raised in England bit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

We all know the best Steve Jobs movie is Pirates of Silicon Valley. They need a sequel to that with the same cast to tell the the story of what happened after Macworld 97.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

morestuff posted:

I wouldn't be totally shocked if Fincher makes an appearance on the pod, he and Sims did a very lengthy sit-down interview a few years back to promote Mank.

Have they ever had the featured director on an episode?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

You mistake what I'm saying. My opinion on Fincher is not and will never be based on anything but my watching experience; I consider him at the same level as the dude who made Speed, a solid but unremarkable director. It is the fact that others hold him in such regard that I am forced to devote brain power towards him that I would otherwise never use.

Lmao.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

I haven't listened yet, but Kevin Smith is a great choice for Die Hard.

I listened to it this morning because I couldn't sleep for poo poo. It was a good listen. I had no idea Smith was buddies with Alan Rickman. I also completely forgot Smith is in Die hard 4, but then again I don't remember anything at all from that movie.

edit: I won't go into detail but Smith's anecdote with Quentin Tarantino is loving hilarious too.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Smith’s character grilling John McClane about Star Wars was kind of a funny bit in that movie

Yeah I want to go back and watch it now. Smith was telling a story about Willis and it was basically that Willis gave a poo poo about the McLane character even in that movie.

I also just watched Moonlighting a couple months ago and everything they said about Willis in that show is true.