Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I had a similar revelation after the Sunshine episode, lol. I love podcasts for their entertainment value but I'd suggest more conventional academic route if you want to get serious about cinema. There's some very good books on the subject!

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I thought that the Fight Club episode was pretty funny because they didn't have any real context for the movie and just referenced some vague genX subtext without really understanding why.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have some of those business card cdr disks they mentioned in the episode. I bought them around the same time that this movie came out!

I think they only held around 50mb but it was more than enough to hold a resume and some work samples. I could never get them to work though.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would say that I'm more of a fan of early Fincher but I haven't watched Mank or Gone Girl yet. I remember the Social Network being decent but I'm really put off by the subject matter so I have no interest in revisiting it.

Have they announced the next director yet? I feel like this series is already winding down.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think the biggest downfall of Mank is that there are so many good movies about writers that this one pales in comparison and it makes it harder to forgive the shortcomings.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can't say I'm that interested in Streisand films.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I just watched both Rollerballs and let me tell you, that Blank Check episode is guaranteed to go off the rails.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it too. I've never seen the Thomas Crown Affair and I have both versions queued up to watch...in 2 months when the episode drops.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have any suggestions for an Android podcast app? I was using Stitcher until it abruptly shut down and now Google is shutting down their app next month. I just tried one called "Podcast Player" and it's not great.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

thrawn527 posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I've never been a Lynch guy, because I don't understand his movies, and from what I gather, I'm not supposed to. And I don't love movies I'm not supposed to understand. But maybe I'm wrong. Like, I kinda get that Mulholland Drive is mostly about the main character's dream world, and then we leave that dream world. But I can't really make that work with everything I see. For example, I have no idea what the homeless guy is doing in the movie. So I'm looking forward them talking about that movie.

I'm often not the best at reading movies.

There's much to appreciate about the Blank Check podcast but they're actually pretty bad at interpretation of symbolism in film.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Pocket Casts. Good interface, mostly free from clutter, easy to add Patreon RSS feeds to.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. I decided at the absolute last minute to switch over to Pocket Casts and I really appreciate the simple interface.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I kinda lost it when Banderas decided that Meade was a loophole and that Muslims were allowed to drink alcohol after all. Also, the scene where he uses the magical power of listening to learn a language in 10 minutes was extremely dumb but also one of the best scenes in the movie.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think Lynch has several out of print films that are hard to find even through piracy. I remember going through quite the ordeal to find a copy of Crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was referencing Crash but it looks like it's on Criterion now.

Edit: but I guess I was confusing him with Cronenberg.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 24, 2024