Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hi, hello, this show owns and is back, and it brought Meryl Streep with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Meryl Streep holding back so much unrelenting rage.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This show friggin' SLAPS

I started watching it out of the corner of one eye while the lady watched it but i'm so into it now

I grew up going to Carmel about once a month and it's a 100% accurate portrayal

Pretty sure Meryl Streep is going to be the big bad

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Sooo, what's it actually about?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

it is about untruths that are small, but also large

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
My fiancé put the first season on while cleaning last year. I recall almost nothing except an absurd plotline about whether Avenue Q was an appropriate play for the local community theatre.

This show is perfectly, expertly calibrated to be the most boring show on television, and an amazing cast can’t save that. I’m going to gently caress off from this thread now.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

-Blackadder- posted:

Sooo, what's it actually about?

It's a character drama about women in a wealthy community who need to present perfect lives, but in fact have imperfect lives. As it progresses, the story becomes about trauma, abuse, and domestic violence, so be prepared for that.

It definitely gets a ton of mileage out of Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur being incredibly loving beautiful, though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I'm definitely of the opinion that this series would've been best as a Season 1 and done but I have faith that with HBO, there won't be a big drop off in quality.

Mary Louise is the villain but Madelyn is still the monster. Well, and Renata in her own way.

Meryl Streep is so fun to watch (I mean obviously she is Meryl Streep), her quiet menace is awesome to behold. Can't wait to see her continuously needle Madelyn and find a way to divide and conquer the Monterrey 5.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sticksy posted:

Mary Louise is the villain but Madelyn is still the monster. Well, and Renata in her own way.

Renata is the most insane person in the room at any given moment. She's glorious, but deeply, deeply unhinged.

If anything this season can stand up to the scene of her torturing Madelyn with a puppet, then this will be an excellent season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s ‘Madeline’ btw

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Jane planting jealousy seeds into Celeste's brain was such an stupid thing to do. Meryl's gonna come for you!

What episode is Renata's husband going to top himself?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Padje posted:

What episode is Renata's husband going to top himself?

When has he ever topped anything in his marriage?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I will NOT not be rich

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
What happened to the not gay barista??

Also Laura Dern is not loving around this season.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I hope Monterey Jurgen Klopp gets the guillotine.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

God I love Nicole Kidman.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Liked Season 1, but so far all the characters in this season are lacking subtlety... Feels like a they’re trying to double up on the drama right out the gates. Will soldier on regardless

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Im enjoying seeing the fallout but wondering where they’re going to take it esp if HBO wants a third season.

I miss the old director. I liked his vision much more

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cheese eats mouse posted:

Im enjoying seeing the fallout but wondering where they’re going to take it esp if HBO wants a third season.

I miss the old director. I liked his vision much more

Yeah, it's definitely missing something without Valle. Still hype to watch tonight's tho!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I have loved this episode/season. Seeing everyone get broken down even more in therapy (hopefully to be built up). There’s no way they could go back to a slow burn after the ending of last season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Principal is the best character this season I love how he’s just slowly losing any of his ability to give a gently caress

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Calamity Jane as a the monotone therapist has been the funniest part for me.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Well you can tell where Roland gets it from yeeesh.

All these people have problems with boundaries and communication...oh wait

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm pretty sure we're building to Celeste's suicide attempt at the end of the season...

:smith:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Celeste reacting to the custody petition like Mary Louise pulled a knife on her was some amazing acting by Kidman.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

When are they going to start plotting to kill her.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

When are they going to start plotting to kill her.

LOL, that was my thought too. Having the Monterrey 5 turn into a "Fargo"-esque black comedy where they keep trying to tie up loose ends only to gently caress things up more would seem to be fitting and could be fun.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Old people fall down stairs all the time, you know.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

nooneofconsequence posted:

Old people fall down stairs all the time, you know.

Hell, so do young, virile rapists.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I know what what I saw in the last 10 seconds of this episode but have no clue what Aquarium Boy is doing at the police station - is he supposed to be a CI or undercover or something??

Regardless every woman on this show is acting the hell out of it and all deserve an Emmy nom at minimum.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

sticksy posted:

I know what what I saw in the last 10 seconds of this episode but have no clue what Aquarium Boy is doing at the police station - is he supposed to be a CI or undercover or something??

I think that's definitely what was implied.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

sticksy posted:

Regardless every woman on this show is acting the hell out of it and all deserve an Emmy nom at minimum.

I don't think he'd be debriefed at the station if he was undercover in any capacity. It's a very small town. He already told Jane he knew she was part of the Monteray Five, so more likely he's doing his own unofficial listens-to-too-many-true-crime-podcasts investigation. He's probably put 2 and 2 together and told the cops about the rape. Or he's interferring in the investigation because he's trying to help Jane. The scene was designed to imply Corey is a grass and be shocking enough to knock Zoe Kravitz out of seemingly confessing at the cop shop.

I wanna know who the man was that Adam Scott and that girl looked over at. Implied threesome or something else?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Padje posted:

I wanna know who the man was that Adam Scott and that girl looked over at. Implied threesome or something else?

Pretty sure the woman was the wife of the theater guy Madeline had the affair with, probably empathizing with Ed over their shared betrayal and heartbreak (and maybe wanting to use him to get revenge on their spouses). But was the guy her cheating husband? I didn't remember what he looked like in Season 1.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shneak posted:

What happened to the not gay barista?

Hoping someone can clarify this. I probably misinterpreted the subtext, but this guy shared a few knowing glances with the bankrupt husband of Laura Dern last season. My interpretation is that both were gay or at least on the down low and had a relationship. Is that what they were trying to imply?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1149749139485233152?s=21

This explains a lot. What a goddamn shame.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Pretty sure the woman was the wife of the theater guy Madeline had the affair with, probably empathizing with Ed over their shared betrayal and heartbreak (and maybe wanting to use him to get revenge on their spouses). But was the guy her cheating husband? I didn't remember what he looked like in Season 1.

Yes. Ed runs into her at the grocery store in E1, in that scene where she talks about getting breast implants. The dude at the bar is her husband, I'm pretty sure...I'm guessing the fallout of his affair with Madeline is whatever this business is. Some sort of open marriage cuckolding fantasy arrangement.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah that really sucks! And what a shame, with this show in particular, that a woman's work is taken away from her by the men in charge, without any explanation for her. Really wish we could have seen more of her vision for the season.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

watching renata yell at her dumbshit husband is so cathartic

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Meryl Streep lands a devastating micro smile right before the closing bell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've got say I hated basically everything about the trial scene.