Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

karma_coma posted:

Also, if you remember WCW Nitro, I highly recommend 83 weeks podcast with Eric Bischoff, it's very well done and Eric has some great stories. Bischoff talking about Dave Meltzer reminds me of trump going after the CORRUPT FAKE NEWS.

Arn Anderson's podcast is really good too but the first episode had some weird audio issues. In the early 80s with Mid South Wrestling Arn used to drive 2,500 miles a week - like holy poo poo, how the gently caress is that possible!

Only my absolute best friends know I love wrestling and I'm going to keep it that way.

do not listen to eric bischoff or vince russo white wash their past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
someone make a list of how many wrestling podcasts that conrad thompson has or is running now

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

someone make a list of how many wrestling podcasts that conrad thompson has or is running now

No.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 hours!)

Eric Bischoff's entire schtick since WCW ended was "it wasn't my fault", call him the Gene Snitsky of bookers

also lol @ Jack Swagger to AEW, shocking that the promotion based in J-ville would love racists

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
anyone that thinks AEW is going to be a progressive company fell for their PR. Cody is a libertarian white man with a tobacco company, his brother is a right-winger that did shoot promos on RAW about how gay men aren't real men, and all their backstage agents are old-rear end white guys

I guess you could call it a success that they have 20 percent CHUDs over WWE's 70 percent. the entire structure of pro wrestling (at least in the United States) attracts conservatives and I don't see that changing for a long time

Low Desert Punk has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Oct 3, 2019

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Low Desert Punk posted:

anyone that thinks AEW is going to be a progressive company fell for their PR. Cody is a libertarian white man with a tobacco company, his brother is a right-winger that did shoot promos on RAW about how gay men aren't real men, and all their backstage agents are old-rear end white guys

I guess you could call it a success that they have 20 percent CHUDs over WWE's 70 percent. the entire structure of pro wrestling (at least in the United States) attracts conservatives and I don't see that changing for a long time

lmao i never knew about cody's cigar company before, their cigars look terrible

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

Honestly all I was hoping for with them being progressive was that they'd treat the women's division as equal to the men and in practice they absolutely have not. Are they better than the other major promotions? Yeah, but that's not good enough.

They seem better about treating people with respect and not being out and out dicks but their actual politics still suck.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The only ethical consumption under capitalism is Yuka Sakazaki matches

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.twitch.tv/saltysuplex

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

There was a survey done on the political leanings of sports fans, and wrestling fans lean left, but are some of the least politically engaged fans. It makes sense because I'm not sure how wrestling would appeal to conservatives outside of tradition or a family friendly show since there's practically no artifice to modern wrestling, and it's just a (lol gay) performing art. No surprise that the dynasties that run wrestling come from a lineage of chuds though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honestly all I was hoping for with them being progressive was that they'd treat the women's division as equal to the men and in practice they absolutely have not. Are they better than the other major promotions? Yeah, but that's not good enough.

They seem better about treating people with respect and not being out and out dicks but their actual politics still suck.

that's not hard considering that pre-AEW here are the rough order of how feds treat women

Joshi Pro/Stardom/Shine where they are actually the attraction
WWE
independent wrestling
Lucha "how do you feel about intergender matches" Underground
TNA without Russo
AAA
CMLL
Ring of Honor
TNA with Russo
NJPW

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

that's not hard considering that pre-AEW here are the rough order of how feds treat women

Joshi Pro/Stardom/Shine where they are actually the attraction
WWE
independent wrestling
Lucha "how do you feel about intergender matches" Underground
TNA without Russo
AAA
CMLL
Ring of Honor
TNA with Russo
NJPW

I haven't watched the dubs in forever but if you're separating TNA with and without Russo then they probably have to be lower on the list.

Granted women being treated like poo poo in wrestling is a long-held tradition so maybe that list is more accurate than I thought at first blush. Thanks, Moolah!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

yeah Gail Kim quit WWE to go to TNA iirc because their women actually wrestled instead of just bra and panty matches.
but then TNA also had this (is this Russo idk, probably)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSjH2K70Vw

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shakenbaker posted:

I haven't watched the dubs in forever but if you're separating TNA with and without Russo then they probably have to be lower on the list.

Granted women being treated like poo poo in wrestling is a long-held tradition so maybe that list is more accurate than I thought at first blush. Thanks, Moolah!

WWE to their credit today is a lot better with promoting womens wrestling because they thought they could make a ton of money with Ronda Rousey and ran a multi year plan to make it not a joke and in ways that actually are actually concrete, like running women's only PPVs, legitimately main eventing Wrestlemania with women's title matches, and even running a full 30 woman royal rumble now with the 30 man rumble

Of course they're also running in KSA where the women are banned from working, but the overall treatment is infinitely better than it was 5 years ago and are at least putting money into the division that they never really did.

I'm separating TNA without Russo because of stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYC6b9i6myI

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Tokamak posted:

There was a survey done on the political leanings of sports fans, and wrestling fans lean left, but are some of the least politically engaged fans. It makes sense because I'm not sure how wrestling would appeal to conservatives outside of tradition or a family friendly show since there's practically no artifice to modern wrestling, and it's just a (lol gay) performing art. No surprise that the dynasties that run wrestling come from a lineage of chuds though.

yeah it's more about the workers than the fans. A lot of them have very libertarian sensibilities because it's an extremely individualistic "sport" that was largely run with cash under the table and you don't have a union. and a ton of "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" self-sufficiency snake oil. That mentality is declining because of the changing climate where people are seen as actors and get contracts and guaranteed money, but I don't think it'll die out anytime soon if ever.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Wow, who would have thought that a jock from Oklahoma is a CHUD?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jericho loving buried Jack Swagger’s lovely “We the People” anti-Mexican/pro-Trump gimmick on a live mic and dissed WWE Creative directly this week. Honestly that was a very feel-good moment of shutting down that particular angle of we hate brown people chanting, also props to 3/5 of his stable being Latino. Sucks still that they hired that dude when he said that gimmick was a shoot and he comes out dressed like a Proud Boy.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i cant wait for tuesday :yowie: Powerrr and Dark free wrestling rules

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
a loving dq in a cell match?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

AEW loving rules and you guys should watch it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

karma_coma posted:

AEW loving rules and you guys should watch it.

nah, I watch Beyond so wrestlers have a chance to develop into bigger stars instead of projecting that a billionaire is somehow going to let me ethically justify poo poo

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Where does New Japan fall under all of this?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Forceholy posted:

Where does New Japan fall under all of this?

new japan has had at least one case of a student being murdered by his trainer in their training dojo with no charges being pressed

of course that was a couple of owners ago, so

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nah, I watch Beyond so wrestlers have a chance to develop into bigger stars instead of projecting that a billionaire is somehow going to let me ethically justify poo poo

It still rules tho

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AEW is the best wrestling show in decades, it’s fuckin rad as hell

Jericho got his head slammed into a Dippin Dots machine for calling Cody an entitled millennial bitch it was loving rad

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He also threw a ton of shade on MJF for wearing a scarf

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It still rules tho

the only ring truck controversy I'm interested in is if the loving cops are towing it away because they're ignoring the permit or if there'll be a show tonight because a tree blew over in a storm and crushed it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
XFL is WWE related so I’m posting this here

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1187407189486510086?s=21

holy gently caress!!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
anyway watch beyond uncharted territory, a weekly independent wrestling promotion that AEW stole the timeslot of and main event talent from in order to make their show

if you aren't down to visiting the show live in Worcester (and no offense if not it is worcester), it is streaming online live every Thursday night at Independent Wrestling tv

https://independentwrestling.tv/

you can watch a literal bank robber gently caress people up instead of jerking yourself off with a billionaire's plaything

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wait they're doing XFL again?!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smarxist posted:

wait they're doing XFL again?!

There’s a thread in the football funhouse it’s hilarious

This isn’t your daddy’s XFL though, this is respectful football where everyone must stand for the flag.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rarity posted:

He also threw a ton of shade on MJF for wearing a scarf

Jericho: "who wears scarves anyway?!"

Crowd: "you do!!!"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1187444190059356164

BENGHAZI 2