Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Xand_Man posted:

Can someone post John Stossel getting slapped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

lol that the wrestling forum had to bring wrestle politics here bc they getting too upset all the wrestlers sucks. I think the big white racist consistently beating three luchadors at the same time sucks rear end just my 2 cents

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

KaptainKrunk posted:

steve austin kinda sucks but stone cold rules
Austin is such an edge case (definitely beat the poo poo out of his then-wife when he had a massive painkiller and drinking problem, seems to have made a legit effort at self-improvement, and is generally a live and let live type politically as far as we can tell...but is barred from discussing said effort at self-improvement by the terms of his divorce from said ex-wife in anything but the most cryptic terms, so there's not much to go on) that it's usually better to just not talk about his real life.

There really are people who are only abusers while deep in their addictions, but while we can hope, we don't have a ton of ways of knowing just how much he's changed past his limited public comments and how much everyone gets along with him. And the latter doesn't say much in wrestling, unfortunately.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IDONTPOST posted:

lol that the wrestling forum had to bring wrestle politics here bc they getting too upset all the wrestlers sucks. I think the big white racist consistently beating three luchadors at the same time sucks rear end just my 2 cents

Its fitting. Last year where poo poo got too real with the first Saudi show they banned discussion of it from the main thread and shuffled it to its own thread that just naturally died off because it was all people who agreed with each other. That apparently wasn't far enough so now its in another forum.

I'm convinced that's why everyone's doubling down so hard on the "everything will be better when Vince is gone" stuff. Its an easy excuse for why you can't do anything and why no one else is to blame and why things will just work out if we're patient.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

STAC Goat posted:

Its fitting. Last year where poo poo got too real with the first Saudi show they banned discussion of it from the main thread and shuffled it to its own thread that just naturally died off because it was all people who agreed with each other. That apparently wasn't far enough so now its in another forum.

I'm convinced that's why everyone's doubling down so hard on the "everything will be better when Vince is gone" stuff. Its an easy excuse for why you can't do anything and why no one else is to blame and why things will just work out if we're patient.

triple h phone status: still on silent

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Please go to local wrestling. It rules. gently caress wwe forever.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

jfood posted:

back in the early 80s wrestling was a super regional thing, one of which was calgary stampede wrestling. imagine a list of wrestlers too lovely to make in... kentucky or some other garbage dump.

one of the dudes on the show was named 'Michele Starr', who's shtick was the he was a woman trapped in a man's body. make-up, used to mount the other dude's face to pin him, acting super-gay, etc.

I have no idea why this is my only wrestling memory, aside from that time george the animal steele tried to rape elizabeth but wound up with a giant cut on his forehead.

I went to a Michelle Starr tribute show last month. Never heard of the guy, but he founded the local indie ECCW, and it was their 23rd anniversary and they inducted him in to their hall of fame or something. Looks pretty good for a retired indie wrestling known for bleeding.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Which never stops driving me nuts. Trips totally has a better nose for booking and the product will get better under him. However, he's still a piece of poo poo racist slimeball and there is nothing to suggest they'll become a less morally objectionable company under Trips.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the HHH think is super revealing. Because even if you think he's a better booker and WWE will just become NXT when he's in charge then what you're saying is your only problem with WWE is the booking. Not the treatment of employees, the racism and sexism, the political ties, Saudi Arabia, or the incredible outliers that make something like the NY64 possible. Its just that you're not being entertained well enough to effectively justify why that other stuff is ok.

Occasionally someone will try and argue that HHH is a better or more ethical person and its just laughable. And its amazingly all based on the fact that the guy has managed to completely turn around his image solely by posing for photos with beloved wrestlers and giving the occasional interview where he says he hopes they do well. But you know... HHH has no power or influence to make such things happen. Everything is controlled by Vince and no one can do or say anything about it and that's why HHH has to say how awesome and wonderful everything is even though he's better. And also he personally did all this stuff...

Its hobbyists who are so committed to their hobby or have it wrapped up in their self identity that they can't let go. Or worse, people who just don't care. It sucks and I personally there's been a pretty consistent effort to nudge the cognitive dissonance out of the forum.

I very much believe that the only things that change when Vince dies is (a) the fans get a few years to reset their "it will get better"/"let it play out" clocks and (b) Steph starts ramping up her political career since daddy can't be an embarrassment.

STAC Goat has issued a correction as of 06:09 on Jun 11, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

STAC Goat posted:

Well I mean I guess it depends on what you want to work out.
Better Product: Probably. I mean I'm not saying it can't get worst I'm just saying it would take a concerted effort to not get worse. Though we'll probably have to deal with even more of his gym rat buddies in main event roles.
More Ethically Run Company: HOLY loving poo poo NO! You're expecting that from the guy who hired Bill Demott then rehired Bill Demott and brought Hulk Hogan back?

On another note:
JFC I absolutely love the fact that WWE and the McMahon Clan are so morally repugnant that I can't even ethically get a subscription to their goddamn network and get a nostalgia kick out of watching all the old poo poo I loved when I grew up and didn't know any better. I've been watching WWE before I could form memories. I was born in 1979 I was 7 when Hulk bodyslammed Andre and 18 when Austin won his first world title. And now I basically gotta flush my childhood down the loving toilet because it's run by some of the most morally bankrupt people that have ever existed.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

dont matter who runs the wwe theyll still support body slamming teenagers onto crucifixes if it gets them some money

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

NienNunb posted:

my first favorite wrestler was Chris Benoit lmao

lmbo me too. Benoit was the first "workrate" guy I really really liked

at least chris Jericho hasn't murdered any of his family yet, I gotta have someone I still like from that era

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

STAC Goat posted:

Its fitting. Last year where poo poo got too real with the first Saudi show they banned discussion of it from the main thread and shuffled it to its own thread that just naturally died off because it was all people who agreed with each other. That apparently wasn't far enough so now its in another forum
I don't think this happened here, but for some reason, even now that we're over a year in, I still get surprised by how many people think the complaints are over "WWE doing shows in Saudi Arabia" and not the actual "WWE doing shows in Saudi Arabia that were bought by the royal family for propaganda purposes, with the first show being a lavish piece of propaganda." (And also WWE only getting off the hook for the blatant propaganda because it would have been untenable internationally post-Khashoggi. Does anyone here really think that without the Khashoggi story blowing up, we wouldn't be getting more travel brochure videos, "KSA is progressive" propaganda videos, Sunni-Shia angles, etc. like they did at Greatest Royal Rumble?)

It's the most frustrating part of having to deal with these idiots every six months because it's been incredibly well-covered, should be at least somewhat self-evident, etc, especially if they watched Greatest Royal Rumble.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm really glad that Kenny and Kota super kayfabe their relationship and both have them have talked about being some kind of queer and basically they have allowed me to ship them irl and I appreciate that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For the people who don't want to five wwe money to watch classic poo poo: most if not all of the network exists for free on the internet

And it's the versions on the network so it's not lovely tenth generation tapes

Lol if you watch attitude era raw that way tho instead of the old rear end torrents that are vhs rips with tracking errors and commercials for chef boyardee and poo poo

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Gratzi, watching assholes get smacked is always something I can count on wrestling for

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I wonder how much blame can be placed on Kenny for being seen with Boogie when the guy is super into gaming - and to be honest, it feels like a lot of the top gaming personalities are shitheads in some way, shape or form. I'm all for pointing out shitheads when the time arises but does Boogie say his stupid poo poo anywhere outside of his twitter feed?

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

NienNunb posted:

my first favorite wrestler was Chris Benoit lmao

My first favorite was Owen Hart. After he died my favorite was Chris Benoit. I don't call anyone my favorite now

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm really glad that Kenny and Kota super kayfabe their relationship and both have them have talked about being some kind of queer and basically they have allowed me to ship them irl and I appreciate that

Kenny has talked about how he's bi and had a bi flag in his entrance vid for the Tanahashi match

Kota got caught clubbing with a transwoman (a big no no in lovely Japanese society) and when confronted by reporters he laughed in their faces and wandered off.

Prokhor Zakharov has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Jun 11, 2019

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
fell into a new youtube channel and there really wasnt a good guy in the monday night wars huh lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsomsWVqF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFRcGMxE0gg

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

yea everyone who said things above about why wwe sucks is spot-on

but it is literally unwatchable from a production standpoint and I hope aew (run by much cooler people actively trying to be everything WWE isn't) destroys it

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
just remember that as AEW battles the WWE dragon it isn't exactly a spotless white knight; Chris Jericho for one, who was by no means one of the geeks that when Vince said "jump" they said "how hiiiii-" as they fell to their deaths, took a cool 100 G's to appear for 3 minutes in the first Saudi blood money show

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Kenny has talked about how he's bi and had a bi flag in his entrance vid for the Tanahashi match

Kota got caught clubbing with a transwoman (a big no no in lovely Japanese society) and when confronted by reporters he laughed in their faces and wandered off.

Kota Ibushi is cool and good. It's a shame he's gonna end up a cripple like Will Osprey by the time he's 40. Those spots he had with Naito in Dominion were scary as gently caress.

Autism Sneaks posted:

just remember that as AEW battles the WWE dragon it isn't exactly a spotless white knight; Chris Jericho for one, who was by no means one of the geeks that when Vince said "jump" they said "how hiiiii-" as they fell to their deaths, took a cool 100 G's to appear for 3 minutes in the first Saudi blood money show

Anything shady known about the Khans? Are they McMahon level?

Also,rememebr when Colt Cabana, who pretty much modeled his gimmick after Dusty Rhodes, met his idol, who called him antisemitism racial slurs?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That owns

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Forceholy posted:

Anything shady known about the Khans? Are they McMahon level?

They donated to the Trump campaign. Just seem your average lovely billionaires rather than the McMahon special level of awful.

Autism Sneaks posted:

You saying you wouldn't take $100k for 3 minutes work in Saudi Arabia?

I feel it is worth remembering that wrestling is more or less a top to bottom terrible business full of terrible people.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Calibanibal posted:

its like 4th down (why?) and its just some quote from an idiot who knows nothing of lucha, and also I'm talking about real, authentic lucha (its not the kind of poo poo you can find on youtube lol)

CMLL's Arena Puebla show is on YouTube every week, the home of lucha libre legend Police Man.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kota rules. He also said he doesn't read books because books let the authors put whatever images they want right in your head and that was 2 spoopy for him

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 hours!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-w4H5a2u4c

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 hours!)

Remember when the fed repackaged Chavo Guerrero into a WASP named "Kerwin White"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if75xIoUE74

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Peanut President posted:

Remember when the fed repackaged Chavo Guerrero into a WASP named "Kerwin White"

That owns

It's the yin to every American wrestler who wears MAGA gear in Mexico for cheap heat's yang

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

forkboy84 posted:

You saying you wouldn't take $100k for 3 minutes work in Saudi Arabia?

I feel it is worth remembering that wrestling is more or less a top to bottom terrible business full of terrible people.

still lmao'ing that Jericho hated every second because he couldn’t drink

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Peanut President posted:

Don't forget that they had to quietly drop it a few months later cause Eddie died and it made things super awkward

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

still lmao'ing that Jericho hated every second because he couldn’t drink

Not just hated every second of it, the trip convinced him to stop working with Vince and do stuff like more NJPW dates a and the All In appearance and sign with AEW. Not being able to get a drink in KSA killed his loyalty dead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jericho is in the same boat as Cena where I don't really care why he's not going, I'm just glad he's not going.

Bryan went once then heard all the horrible poo poo and decided he's never going again and Owens refused to go presumably because they banned his friend.

The one that really pisses me off is Roman Reigns cause it leaked that he wasn't gonna go to Crown Jewel prior to his diagnosis and he was spitting out the same Bring Change bullshit before this show.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Rarity posted:

Don't forget that they had to quietly drop it a few months later cause Eddie died and it made things super awkward

And then used Eddie's death as a storyline but gave the mega push to Rey Mysterio, instead of Chavo who was Eddie's real life nephew.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I don't have a ton of wrestling opinions these days but when I was a kid I watched Hogan slam Andre and my 8-year old brain immediately decided that he must be some sort of god.

Also I loved Rowdy Roddy Piper and I'm glad that he turned out to be just normal wrestler crazy instead of a monster.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

smikey posted:

And then used Eddie's death as a storyline but gave the mega push to Rey Mysterio, instead of Chavo who was Eddie's real life nephew.

Chavo definitely deserves more love but Rey's a loving legend

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

seriously though who is this dweeb

how do you not know Kenny Omega

or do you mean altright adjacent boogie2988

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Jun 11, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

enjoy kota as long as you can because his apparent goal in life is Misawa

https://twitter.com/TheRONYBrand/status/1138014409740234753?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Xand_Man posted:

Chavo definitely deserves more love but Rey's a loving legend

Yeah, I've just always been a Chavo fan, weirdly. Ever since his debut in WCW.