Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Law and Order, or one of it's iterations, will be playing at all times on at least one channel. This is written in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Devils Affricate posted:

Not gonna lie, I had no idea "bae" was an acronym

it's not. any acronym you see is one of those phony backronyms made after the fact

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I'm an underemployed alcoholic so I spend a lot of time watching daytime TV. Most everything is garbage now so I mostly end up watching PBS. Usually some nature documentary or a cooking show or craft show during the day. The networks are so lame with judge shows or infomercials.

I can't even watch The Price is Right anymore because I can't stand how obnoxious the audience and guests act. I like game shows with decorum like Jeopardy!.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rad-daddio posted:

Law and Order, or one of it's iterations, will be playing at all times on at least one channel. This is written in stone.

There's a Twitter account that tweets out whenever an L&O episode is about to air. It lists the show, episode, and channel. I love it.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

homeless guy posted:

I'm an underemployed alcoholic so I spend a lot of time watching daytime TV.

Serious question: why do you watch daytime TV instead of other media? When I was a kid during summer break and wanted to watch something it was either daytime TV or walking all the way to the Blockbuster/library to rent a movie, so I understand why it used to be a foregone conclusion to consume garbage. But there are a billion streaming services now (or filez if you're broke) that have huge libraries of actually good content, no commercials, and the ability to choose what you want. I can't see why anyone would bother with daytime TV without also being 60+ years old and too afraid of change to use a better alternative.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Cubone posted:

I have a structured settlement and I need cash now

Call J G Wentworth!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Serious question: why do you watch daytime TV instead of other media? When I was a kid during summer break and wanted to watch something it was either daytime TV or walking all the way to the Blockbuster/library to rent a movie, so I understand why it used to be a foregone conclusion to consume garbage. But there are a billion streaming services now (or filez if you're broke) that have huge libraries of actually good content, no commercials, and the ability to choose what you want. I can't see why anyone would bother with daytime TV without also being 60+ years old and too afraid of change to use a better alternative.

People who are unemployed and alcoholic are generally not looking for the newest stimulating content, it's more of background noise.

I gravitate between music and TV as background noise when I'm on the computer, and I intentionally go to bullshit cable because I don't have to think about it or pay attention, I can just occasionally turn my head to see Jon Taffer screaming at a college student for not knowing how to make a proper Manhattan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

You severely underestimate the amount of time available to you when you're un/underemployed. It's super easy to binge your way through a series when your day consists of waking up and showering (optional), eating (optional).

Also, depending on your circumstances, streaming services can be a luxury. Daytime TV after a while is sorta like a clock, you're not really in it to watch Rachel Ray, it's that Rachel Ray kills the hour before Cops. Or in my case, I watched Dr. Oz, because Dr. Oz was on after Maury and meant it was time for a nap.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of it is just background noise while I'm browsing the forums. And choice overload. Thanks to the Internet I literally have access to everything ever made. Starting with that level of choice, how do I decide what to watch? I just turn on the TV and select from my limited options to find something to watch. Same reason I watch a movie I already own when I catch it channel surfing.

when I watch Netflix most of the time I just spend half an hour scrolling through all the shows and then turn it off because I say there's nothing to watch

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Remember all those mediocre sci-fi/fantasy shows on daytime TV?

Beastmaster, Lost World, Cleopatra 2525, Jack of All Trades, Andromeda, etc.

How about Pacific Blue, the show about beach bike cops in LA?

Or "Renegade" starring Lorenzo Llamas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Julius CSAR posted:

How about Pacific Blue, the show about beach bike cops in LA?

oh poo poo son

e: what I remember most about Beastmaster is that it actually had a long, complicated overarching backstory and plot. I guess it makes sense, the people watching it as a good show are probably the soap opera crowd, who have practiced the ability to follow multi-year, 20-person plot arcs