Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Adorable video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah that's a good ad.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

really stretching it that anyone had a sense of wonder with dawn but the rest of the ad is good enough to let that slide :colbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

really stretching it that anyone had a sense of wonder with dawn but the rest of the ad is good enough to let that slide :colbert:

i did, i am that weird kid :colbert:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
They should do an American version of that video where the kid downloads the fan translation to play on ZSNES

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Dawn of Mana is so weirdly sad that it would be the perfect villain origin story. I know these games aren't really connected, but I sort of headcanon the Dark Prince in SD3/Trials to be the protagonist from that game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They are connected for the most part, it's called Dawn because it's the first game in the timeline.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I must have completely missed Dawn. I have no memory of its release or anything.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It came out in the west after the PS3, 360 and Wii were released and was generally panned by everyone who played it so it was easy to miss. I don't think many of Square's compilation series were celebrated all too well (at least at the time) but the 3 Mana games were the most ignorable ones. They're all sort of weird experiments that aren't fully formed.

Also came out after Persona 3 so if you were still looking for PS2 RPGs you had the start of that franchise getting big to be excited about.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Dawn was weird as hell since it's a level-based action game with no real permanent progression and a focus on beating monsters by scaring them, usually by knocking them into each other. I never got far, but I also hear the story is a lot of misery, which I usually don't like when it's a game's main story focus. Then again, FFA is also pretty drat miserable in its story so...

Kinda surprised Children of Mana didn't get more traction since it was more of a traditional Mana game gameplay-wise, but I assume the lack of a real story or characters hurt it a good bit.

Also the title Heroes of Mana was wasted on that RTS game, would've worked much better as the title for Trials.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Mana series is kind of surprisingly miserable given its cutesy aesthetics. Is there actually a game in the line where Mana actually does something useful other than just heal some of the damage caused by bad guys trying to steal the power of Mana?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

The Mana series is kind of surprisingly miserable given its cutesy aesthetics. Is there actually a game in the line where Mana actually does something useful other than just heal some of the damage caused by bad guys trying to steal the power of Mana?

Legend! though that kinda stretches the cycle of useful what with ending the universe

the progression reset is what really got me with dawn. why bother having character levels at all?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Echoes of Mana getting less than a second in the promo is more than it deserved.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the progression reset is what really got me with dawn. why bother having character levels at all?

I think if the game didn't call them "Levels" it probably would have been better off, even though calling it that was probably done to reference the old games being RPGs. The leveling in Dawn was less about getting more powerful with stats, and more about just limiting slight parts of your moveset based on how well you had been doing in a stage. It's more like... if anyone here has played Wo-Long with it's morale level system for each stage, where you start the stage with certain abilities locked and have access to them all by the end of the level if you explored enough. Like gaining a level just means you get a couple extra hits in your combo and slightly different movement. You basically engage with it to grind out more currency so you can buy the... I think they're called medals or somesuch that you can equip for more permanent equippable boosts. By mid-game you can just start at Level 3 of power with a medal equipped if you want (and then do arena stuff if you really want to go into it). The whole thing is more like a platformer otherwise, your damage output seems mostly determined by how dizzy an enemy is.

Mega64 posted:

Kinda surprised Children of Mana didn't get more traction since it was more of a traditional Mana game gameplay-wise, but I assume the lack of a real story or characters hurt it a good bit.

It was meant for local multiplayer which really doesn't work when you're a niche series and you're the only one in your game-playing friend group that even plays these games. Kinda like the nonsense with leveling Amigos for Sword of Mana, it was really just meant for people in Japan. Or probably more accurately, kids in school in Japan.

Also being a weird diablo-lite game with prefab part dungeons and a weird attempt to put in physics with some environmental puzzles while not really having a physics engine probably doesn't help.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Mega64 posted:

Dawn was weird as hell since it's a level-based action game with no real permanent progression and a focus on beating monsters by scaring them, usually by knocking them into each other. I never got far, but I also hear the story is a lot of misery, which I usually don't like when it's a game's main story focus. Then again, FFA is also pretty drat miserable in its story so...
By the end of Dawn of Mana,
the main character's entire village has been destroyed, he's been forced to kill his friend and his evil brother, and his girlfriend gets possessed by the big bad. He tries to free her from the possession and fails, so he kills her. Then his fairy companion sacrifices herself to renew the world, all while he's screaming for this all to stop. He's seriously like the only character alive at the end. It is so weirdly miserable.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Rand Brittain posted:

They’re all sort of creation myths, in the vein where a world ends and a new one begins, what with the Mana Goddess dying and being replaced in all of the ones I played. Legends is wildly more explicit about this, where the Goddess just rotted out in her own that knew time everyone was too scared to be corrupt enough to kill her when her time came.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

seiferguy posted:

Echoes of Mana getting less than a second in the promo is more than it deserved.

Not nearly enough love for Legend of Mana

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

echoes of mana was oddly the only gacha i've enjoyed the gameplay of and understood enough to do equipmeqnt upgrades and stuff. It was still a lovely evil gacha though and that was sad.

Legend of mana is fantastic and beautiful and probably a top 5 OST of the PSX though the gameplay is only just decent to ok. The steam HD version is a really nice facelift and the 2 player character visiting with memory cards in the original was really cool.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Boogalo posted:

echoes of mana was oddly the only gacha i've enjoyed the gameplay of and understood enough to do equipmeqnt upgrades and stuff. It was still a lovely evil gacha though and that was sad.

i kinda wish that the actual levels were a bit more fun and that it was anything other than a squeenix gacha because they are especially terrible, especially if someone you like gets put into the non 5* hole

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Echoes so far is the only gacha game I played I got into it hard. Never spent any money on it (came close though). Always woke up and set my phone to do my dailies.

I felt a huge sense of relief when they announced it was being shut down, like... I was free.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

What got me to stop playing echoes was dealing with equipment and leveling it was tedious and awful and would frequently crash the app, resetting everything I'd just done.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boogalo posted:

What got me to stop playing echoes was dealing with equipment and leveling it was tedious and awful and would frequently crash the app, resetting everything I'd just done.

Oh yeah, completely forgot that equipment stats were entirely random and you didn't know what you were gonna get until you spent material / money to upgrade them. So if you got awful stats you just wasted a bunch of time.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Beefstew posted:

By the end of Dawn of Mana,
the main character's entire village has been destroyed, he's been forced to kill his friend and his evil brother, and his girlfriend gets possessed by the big bad. He tries to free her from the possession and fails, so he kills her. Then his fairy companion sacrifices herself to renew the world, all while he's screaming for this all to stop. He's seriously like the only character alive at the end. It is so weirdly miserable.

He's still got Watts. But yeah, losing the fairy was a real bummer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

He's still got Watts. But yeah, losing the fairy was a real bummer.

So you would say he has his Anchor, Watts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

So you would say he has his Anchor, Watts?

Booooooo. Get off the stage!