Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh god I'm chronically indecisive, how the hell do people manage to pick a party for SD3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hellioning posted:

Just play the game with every possible party combination.

I started trying to math that out before I realized 1) I'm not great at math 2) if you're counting every possible class configuration that's well into the thousands 3) Kevin/Riez/Hawkeye this should have been a no-brainer for me anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Riesz' would be fine if you changed her model to match her menu art, but the other characters seem closer like palette swaps between classes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
With a new official translation is someone going to march in and edit all the fan wikis? How often does something like that even come up? Already the guy I knew as Deathjester is named Goremand.

Oh god are all the spells and special attack names different. This is going to kill me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Squats posted:

Does Kevin still talk like a caveman?

Nope!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

PantsBandit posted:

Rate my team: Hawk, Angela, Riesz.

You've managed to pick the only character combination that can't learn any healing magic. But, Riesz, especially Light Riesz is a Very Good Choice, who has astounding synergy specifically with Dark Hawkeye, who is a powerhouse. And Angela is a black mage and I don't think you can actually screw up a black mage.

Is there actually a bad character combination or is it more a matter of bad class picks within a combo?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm trying to play Secret of Mana before I start chomping into SD3 (I never finished it as a kid) and I kinda feel like the hit detection is... bad. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I'm whiffing probably ⅓ my attacks and I don't like it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Children Of Mana called them Benevodons so the evil fused versions could be called Malevodons.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Of all the things I never expected from Square, an official English translation of Seiken Densetsu 3 was so unexpected it wasn't even on the goddamn list. Then there's the remake, and the collection came out later that day. Blew my goddamn mind.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Confession: I've only actually finished the game once, but I had a party of Riesz (Star Lancer), Hawk (Nightblade), and Charlotte (Necromancer). Just the first two are probably enough to steamroll the competition and Charlotte made me immortal. This time I want to try Kevin/Hawkeye/Riesz and make it even more unfair. Different classes though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How big is this demo? I'm at 40% downloaded with eight hours to go but I'm assuming it's my ISP melting down.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's real loving weird hearing the official localized names and how they're pronounced against my memories from the fan translation twenty year ago.

Edit: the real purpose of the demo is to figure out whose running animation is too obnoxious to be the lead.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 20, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What the gently caress is Lumina's voice, I love it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Riesz doesn't have a lot of variety in her spell list either.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Kevin gets healing in his light classes, too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Between Charlotte's Elmer Fudd speech and Kevin's 'awkwardly undersocialized' dialogue I think the best third option is Angela with her Sassy Valley-Girl attitude.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Snowfield because I like the music.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
loving Goremand asks 'is this the face of a liar?' you're a goddamn skull monster in a jester suit, that is ABSOLUTELY the face of a liar.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly, 90% of my enthusiasm for this game comes from the fact that I never, ever expected to see:

-a western release of SD3
-a remake of SD3
-a remake this extensive of SD3

I'm really enjoying it, but I can understand people bouncing off of it if they weren't part of its cult following back in the 00s.

:same:

Also (and this might just be me here) I have a high tolerance for uneven voice acting so I'm taking in the spirit of late 90's anime. Which it basically is.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do the elemental saber spells give a damage boost along with the element, or are they solely for hitting weaknesses?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You'll be able to class change at the next Mana Stone you find. And the cannons are straight from the original.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The same creatures appear in two other Mana games where they're benevolent forces for good. However they're fused in pairs and each of those paired monsters are called Malevodons and they're like super evil. So basically they're called Benevodons because the games were translated out of order.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That would just get you the opposite problem in Children of Mana though, why are these friendly spirits called Malevodons???

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The annoying part about the ghost ship is that I now have one party member a full level behind the pack and I can't think of a solution that doesn't letting party members die until the straggler catches up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Never.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, so when it says that there's a limited number of stat elixers, does that mean there's a fixed amount I can get from item seeds?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bruceski posted:

I used every rez cup in that fight, though in part I blame that on still being in my second class and it was my third Benevodon. Definitely noticed a spike in enemy difficulty there.

I've got Mispolm as the third Benevodon and that's definitely the fastest I wiped in a fight. I might just bail and come back later with a class change if he keeps kicking my rear end. If I can find any ??? Seeds.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When do ??? Seeds start dropping? I grabbed the six free ones that are in the Benevodon dungeons but I got some duplicate items so Kevin's SOL.

(Incidentally, how do Fatal Fist and Enlightened compare?)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nightblade is a very good class but I also think the cape makes Hawkeye look like a dweeb.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fatal Fist Kevin is kind of a one-trick pony, but that trick is 'transform these enemies into paste', and he's very good at it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Kevin's a brawler, he won't get any abilities until the second class change. Kevin's entire job is to punch enemies repeatedly.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been giving INT to Kevin but that's because I'm aiming for the '40% extra damage to enemies with status effects' and combining it with the forty ways Hawkeye can poison someone.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

jokes posted:

I have slain three Benevodons and have yet to get a ??? seed or any item for turning into a new class and it's pissing me off! I get most chests, so I wonder whats' going on here.

Unless I did get items but didn't realize.

There's one in every Benevodon dungeon but the Wind one, pull out that map and start scouring. (citation: I spent this morning looking for ??? Seeds)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just sell them all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know you can get some from the Silver Wolves at Chartmoon Tower.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

IMJack posted:

I'm trying to remember if the original game had roulette traps in chests like Secret of Mana does. I am happy this game does not.

SD3 had Roulette trap chests, it was why you made Hawkeye open all of the treasure chests.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Mystery Seeds are set when you obtain them, not when you plant them

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can absolutely get duplicates, I pulled two sets of Dusk Dice so I had to grind seeds to get what I needed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Honestly the hardest part of a Charlotte-Kevin team is that Kevin gets something absurd like a 40% damage boost at low health and Charlotte will never, ever let me exploit it. I should rebuild her as a Necromancer, it'll give her something to do instead of neurotically manage my HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I could set Charlotte not to use items or magic but it seems like a huge waste of a High Priestess. Changing her class will give her some better offensive options at least.