Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

And a complete remake too, not like "slap a lovely sprite filter over the SNES version and call it a day".

I'm extremely excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm legitimately more excited for this than the FF7 remake.

mainly because i don't have a ps4

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I definitely wasn't expecting FF14-style attack telegraphs :stare:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Considering all the other massive changes in this remake, I'd be shocked if they did nothing about that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The demo is solid, though I'm a little annoyed that I can't map attacks to the shoulder buttons like in Dark Souls.

This is gonna be one of the best remakes of all time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I remember in the fan translation, Isabella was Bigieu or something like that, which was probably a mistranslation of Bijou (French for jewel).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's German for "the jester".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I knew exactly what this was before I clicked on it :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm going with Riesz, Hawkeye, and Angela because that was my party the first time I played this game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zenithe posted:

I think I'm up to date, I believe in the new release it's "Cwlwtw"

Ah, so she's Welsh.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Basing your decisions on how the original game works is probably not a great idea. This is a completely different game for all intents and purposes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hell yes time for some Twials of Mana.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao djinn sylphid sounds like terrence and phillip

I'M NOT YOUR ELEMENTAL BUDDYYYYYY

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also jesus CRHIST zhenova :stare:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

A couple of mechanics things I haven't caught on my own:
--Some skills reference power attacks. Is that the class strike (what it's called in the xp bonus if you kill with it)? Any strong attack? Charged strong attacks?
--Is there any purpose to points in a stat other than the bonuses? Is 5 points in strength different from 4. or more than 6 in a stat before class change?

Power attacks just means any strong attack. Like the passive that gives 1 MP for a power attack, you don't have to charge up or anything, just whack em.

As far as I'm aware, points in a stat do nothing beyond the skills they grant.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Very important information: you can still make Booscaboo Vuscav honk.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serious protip: Enigma is a really good passive for casters. It makes enemies just flat out ignore them most of the time, so you can just sit back and nuke. Plus it makes it easier to get the 10% extra XP for not taking damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Honestly, 90% of my enthusiasm for this game comes from the fact that I never, ever expected to see:

-a western release of SD3
-a remake of SD3
-a remake this extensive of SD3

I'm really enjoying it, but I can understand people bouncing off of it if they weren't part of its cult following back in the 00s.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arkeus posted:

Anyway, there is no lil'catcus in ghost ship and exploding island right?

I wasn't able to find it there, I'm assuming that it doesn't appear in places that you can't revisit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Huh, the seeds are seeded :haw:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xan Bie kicked my rear end. I thought you would have to dps the altars down when it starts charging up its big aoe attack, but I did that and it still exploded me :confused:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what do you need to reset your class? I made Riesz a Vanadis because I had the item on hand and figured I could reset later when I got the item for Starlancer, but now I have one and it's still telling me I don't have the correct item. Is it something you get later on?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Someone asked a while back what the new night market items from the cactus bonus were, don't know if it got answered. You get access to level 2 and level 3 damage spell items, as well as items for casting light, dark, moon, and wood sabres. Extremely useful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

Does this version of the game let you play with the 3rd classes for longer than the last 15% of the game?

Yeah, you level up a lot faster so you're 38 roughly by the time you reach the Mana Holy Land. You still need to get the items for the 3rd tier classes, but those are a lot more common too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Calaveron posted:

What’s the fastest way to get ??? Seeds? Just beat land umber and got three seeds which let me turn Duran into an edelfrei and Angela into a magus but poor little Hawkeye is still a ninja

There's one in every Benevedon dungeon (except for Dangaard's afaik), so keep doing those. The one in Mispolm's is right near the entrance so you can run in and grab it real quick if you want.

As enemy drops, they don't seem to start appearing until mobs are level 50 or higher, which coincides with having beaten 4 Benevedons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not playing on hard, but the big thing with not having a healing spell is that you have a hard limit on healing items in boss battles, 9 of each item. Granted, that's a very generous limit, especially when you factor in poto oils and succube claws, but it might be a pretty big issue on hard mode.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Is there any way to make AI Duran want to use his healing spell more? For me he'll sit doing nothing or attacking while people are critical.

Are his tactics set to "all out attack"?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Currently getting my butt kicked by Xan Bie. Even at roughly equivalent level it doesn't seem possible to beat all three idols before the explosion. Very annoying.

Definitely save your class strikes for those, and use one on each altar.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I wish I could choose which spells characters will automatically cast. Riesz I don't need you to cast a summon when there is one enemy left at half life.

Yeah it would be nice to have just a little more control over how your AI partners behave.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're supposed to jump over the vine. Same deal with Dolan's smash attack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just finished my first game, with Star Lancer Riesz, Ninja Master Hawkeye, and Grand Diviner Angela. Angela was nuking the poo poo out of things by the end, and the lack of healing was really only an issue in the midgame. Although I was only playing on normal mode...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

I have slain three Benevodons and have yet to get a ??? seed or any item for turning into a new class and it's pissing me off! I get most chests, so I wonder whats' going on here.

Unless I did get items but didn't realize.

There's a ??? seed in a chest in every Benevedon dungeon except for Dangaard's, one in Nevarl/Altena/Forola, and one in Pedan.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just finished the post-credits dungeon. God drat, Angela is a beast. I know Duran and Kevin are supposed to be the other two heavy dps characters, but I don't see how they can even compare to Lucent Beam+ spam.

I bet this game could be fun to speedrun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, after playing through to the postgame, I've identified my one big complaint about this game: doing a class strike doesn't stop time, but also it prevents you from swapping to another character and acting while the class strike is happening.

This is mostly fine, except for when bosses do the "destroy these objects or die!" trick and you need class strikes to bring them down. There's no way to have each of your characters class strike a different object at the same time. ...is there? Is there some way to access the CS crossbar from a non-centered character's ring menu?

Yeah this is my biggest complaint too. You have to pop a CS, wait for the animation to finish, switch to another character, target another thing, pop another CS, and repeat. And there's no way to do any of this while the game is paused, and the timing on these mechanics is usually pretty tight. If you mess up an input you will probably fail.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Malocchio is Magic Brian and you can't convince me otherwise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

I want to do the other three for a second play through, but am wondering if a NG+ is a good idea or not. I suppose I would just be starting the game with all items and all the money I’d ever need which isn’t any different from how I always had all the money necessary to upgrade gear anyways, but with lvl 1 and no weapons. Is there an achievement or something?

The main thing with NG+ is that ALL chain abilities that you've learned carry over, even if they're from characters that aren't in your NG+ party, so you can potentially build some really broken combos.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I decided to test Special Effect's "attack increased when enemy has status effect". When an enemy just had attack down (couldn't turn that off) Hawkeye did 100-150 damage with normal attacks. After poisioning it he did 150-200. So it looks like stat-downs don't count as status effect. That's supported by Retain boosting the duration of "status increase" (which I assume includes decreases since it's not a chain skill and on Hawkeye) but it raises questions why Hawkeye gets Special Effect in his Ninja Master line, the only status effect he gets there is from Toxic and he just gets the first rank of that.

I was testing at endgame which could have other chaotic stuff going on I forgot about. If anyone's in a position to confirm I'd appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure Retain makes stat boosts cast ON that character last longer, not stat boosts cast BY that character.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Riesz's voice acting annoys me more than Chawotte's.

Also I like Kevin's. The whole "ooga booga me Kevin me do bad grammar" thing is dumb. In this it sounds more like he's just not 100% comfortable with human speech, which is way better.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 29, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chrono Trigger maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, all items were literally just "cast x spell using the user's stats". So you could use light coins to cast holy ball with Kevin, but the damage would still suck.