Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wake me when you unlock the summon that requires connecting with a hundred different Sword of Mana game files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phantasium posted:

sorry, did you say AMIGOS

Amigos don't let amigos play Sword of Mana.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

You picked a good time to bump the thread because this bad boy came in today.

poo poo, this made me buy a copy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm excited that Trials is a full remake that might actually fix some of the dated gameplay mechanics, though I'm still worried about the ??? and Rainbow seeds still being a mechanic.

Also I've been replaying Legend of Mana and learned that the Flowering teleporters in certain areas (in my case it was the Jungle) will fail if you bring Niccolo along because "Earthly thoughts" are distracting the Flowerling, something that isn't a problem with other NPCs. Always something new to learn with this game!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

For Legend, land placement is only important for unlocking specific quests and all the demi-human companions.

If you want to 100% the game, this site is a good resource on where to place lands and the best order to do quests. If you don't mind missing quests, though, then do whatever, you can't lock yourself out of beating the game and there's always New Game +. Just make sure to talk to Lil Cactus after every quest, it's worth it.

You really don't have to worry about golems, crafting, or raising pets. The game's simple enough that you can just forge basic weapons and armor and use whatever pets you like best without having to feed them. There's an insane amount of depth in the gameplay, but none of it is actually necessary.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I love Charlotte's Boston accent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just finished the demo with a Reisz/Hawkeye/Charlotte party. Will probably tackle Duran/Angela/Kevin next, then do a Charlotte/Kevin/????? party for balance. Hell, maybe I'll do all six as lead. I'm hoping with how things are streamlined this will have a lot of replay value!

My only issue is waiting a month for the full game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm curious to see how Reisz's later classes go since she seems set up to be solidly average stat-wise while everyone else specializes in one of the five stats. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some gimmick specializing like the victory heal to justify her being an all-rounder.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I do

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I mean, everything else you'd want is there, so why not that as well?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Game owns

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1253794759249784832

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I had Charlotte finish off the second one, but my main Reisz did a dramatic thrust after the fight and stole the credit for the kill.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Reisz is so hit-or-miss VA-wise, I agree that I prefer Chawotte's doofy voice to her. Excited to hear Angela when I do Duran/Angela/Kevin next.

I also agree that I find the VA in general charming over just how bad it can be. Some NPCs can be terrible, like Jessica, and some are out-of-nowhere but still pretty good like Lumina, but then you have the rare gem like Shade who embraces the cheesiness of it all and goes full-ham.

Shade should've been the narrator.

e: I'm now kind of hoping there'll be a way to disable the other two companions and do a solo mode, I had a random encounter where my allies died quickly in and I had a pretty fun time going one-on-two with a Swordmaster and Ninja. I think the battle system could have real challenge if you only had to rely on one character's abilities and your own movements. Unfortunately that whole "allies revive after every fight" thing makes it difficult to work in its current state, especially since they'll still gain EXP.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 29, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cascade Caverns (the dungeon where you get Lumina) is an easily-forgettable one. You don't ever have any reason to return there except to get the Lil' Cactus spot.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Legend of Mana is a much different beast, more of a beat-'em-up than an action RPG, with "spells" being instruments you play in battle and no real inventory system other than a shitload of useless garbage that only exists for the complex crafting system. The game is incredibly non-linear, letting you decide where towns and dungeons go and gives you the freedom to do quests in whatever order you want, to the point where you can easily miss quests if you don't know what you're doing. There's no overarching plot, you kinda just do whatever and end up stumbling into doing at least one of the three main plotlines to unlock the Tree of Mana and do the final dungeon, which results in a non-ending that loops to a New Game +.

It's nonsensical and completely different from previous Mana games and is pretty drat bad in so many respects yet the world-building and presentation alone make it my favorite game of all time. It's certainly a unique experience, and I'm curious how the hell they'd even try to remake it with today's game design standards.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The best part about the incredibly complex crafting system is it's completely unnecessary unless you're doing the hardest difficulty of New Game +, and there's really nothing to gain from doing it anyway since it changes nothing and it just makes most battles more tedious, especially the couple of flower bosses that spawn two different sections that you have to take down constantly.

You can just take some end-game material you win from a quest, craft your weapon of choice, maybe forge a few elemental coins in if you want, and wreck everything in your path in the normal game, ignoring all the insanity of crafting dozens of coins in a specific order to unlock custom abilities and moves.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It’ll always be Booskaboo to me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dicks Out for Karl

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You keep all the items and chain abilities you've learned, and any character from the previous files keep their levels, though new ones start at base levels. Thus even with three new characters you can trivialize the game if you got some of the big chain abilities like "EXP +300%" and "Spells cost no MP" and "Don't spend items", though you can also just ignore all those and pretend you're not blowing through the content with the other characters. It's still gonna be a lot easier than the first playthrough though even if you ignore as much of the NG+ stuff as you can, so sadly it's not great if you want more difficulty.

NG+ could have really benefited from a checklist of what you wanted to keep, so you can keep some of the more grindy items and abilities to obtain without having to carry high-level characters to steamroll the entire game after a couple of playthroughs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pretty much, and yeah it’s dumb and sucks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SE Earnings Report

quote:

Q: Other than “FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE,” how are new and catalog HD games selling?
A: Sales of “TRIALS OF MANA” are so strong that they have significantly surpassed our initial expectations. In regards to
catalog titles, we are seeing growth in digital sales from our library, especially of titles featuring our core IP, and this is
despite not engaging in any special promotions. In addition, unrelated to HD games, revenue generated from one-off
sales of smartphone games also grew in 1Q.

So that's promising!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nintendo Power certainly has had...unique interpretations of Square characters in the past.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

quote:

When selecting “New Game+,” you can choose to return to Level 1.

yesss

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Switch performance was fine from my experience, though there are hiccups here and there. PS4 or PC will run better for sure.

It’s basically down to performance vs. convenience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I thought Reisz was incredibly popular in the original release, so I'm guessing that's more why she won.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Angela probably didn't want the fight and awesome music to end too quickly

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Legend of Mana's one and only flaw is replacing Luna with Aura, the spirit of gold.

Speaking of which, remaster is in a month!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think if you get six ??? seeds before growing any, each one will be different. It worked for me when I grinded for them, don't know if any patches messed that up. I know the general plan is to grab them from the six dungeons with them, but I'm pretty sure grinding them from drops will also work as long as you don't grow any of them until you get six in total.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A bit more than a month away from Legend of Mana re-port, gently caress yeah.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Holy poo poo, the new intro movie for Legend of Mana is loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZeYJ-NkKo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Reviews are coming in for Legend of Mana Remaster and they are looking good. Here's the first 30 min of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEMXyUWYW8

Very excited. Love the updated graphics.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

100% pretty much requires a guide, at least in the original, so it’s up to you whether you want to do it in one or two playthroughs (though at least there’s NG+, plus you can disable encounters in the remake, so a second playthrough should be breezy).

Going in blind will leave more of an impact, you just won’t 100% everything because where and when you place artifacts and even the order you do quests matter. Also make sure to talk to NPCs multiple times, this is definitely a game where people have a lot more to say beyond their first text box.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bring back that weird mobile LoM spinoff game that was on old phones.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

It's included in the remaster!

I didn't mean Ring Ring Land, unless they did add that other mobile game and nobody ever mentioned it anywhere.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Crossposting from the LoM thread.

Mega64 posted:

A brief but still neat interview with Mana Producer Masaru Oyamada and Composer Yoko Shimomura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbC8RhbjCAY

Also didn’t realize the Mana series hit 30 years last month. Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden released in Japan on June 28, 1991!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Even on hard you should be fine just going with what looks cool. Only items you really want is Poto Oils, the rest is overkill.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Aren't you guaranteed one of each item if you choose to obtain six??? Seeds before growing any of them? I just chose to grid in the forest dungeon until I got six and did them all that way to get the jobs I wanted.

Though yeah, that's one thing I wouldn't have minded being changed in the remake.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Looks like the next game will be called Visions of Mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A pet Flammie that joins in battle? Hell yeah.