Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It's wild to me that a Japanese SNES game I played on the PC as a kid using a fan translation is now being remade eons later to work on a console I can play both on my TV and anywhere.

Also makes me realize I'm old and will die soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Looks like midnight EST according to the PSN preorder countdown.

Do any of the reviews comment if the game ever gets harder? Extremely easy difficulty in the demo (on hard) was my biggest complaint.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
PS4 behavior is very weird. I downloaded the game and tried to load my demo save. The most recent one (at end of demo) told me the game was still downloading and couldn’t load it. Then I loaded a save a moment before and as soon as I reached the demo end point, got the same message.

AFAIK, PS4 doesn’t secret download without letting you know but I guess I’ll wait until tomorrow before worrying too much.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
PS4 issue was resolved as of this morning and I’ve been rolling with Hawkeye/reisz/Angela.

After the demo, the difficulty ramps a bit on hard. Nothing extreme but I’m actually using items now. I’m satisfied— just didn’t want it to be brainless.

I wonder if it’s safe to assume there’s a cactus in every zone and city? 50 is a lot. I’m at 4 or 5 up to Valsenia.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I decided to give light Hawk a try. The new combo he gets is quite nice. It’s a distance covering charge that hits multiple targets and does a lot of damage. Combined with the 15% damage passive I can blow up whole groups. His spells aren’t exactly anything to write home about. Did someone say they scale with luck?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I really like it. I’m sure nostalgia plays a non-trivial part, especially w/r/t putting up with the goofy story. But the regular gameplay is great. I’ve always wondered why the party building conceit used here was never picked up in other games.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
When you can choose to go to fire or ice land, ice actually comes first. I did fire first and the ice land enemies were lower level than the guys in the desert.

I'm lv 30ish and not sure where to put valkyrie Reisz' (or even Hawkeye's) points. I have the buffs and none of the other trees seem particular good. Just passives I probably wouldn't equip. This might be because I don't know what the base stats even do.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Harrow posted:

Now that the game's out: for people playing on Hard, how much of a pain is it to deal with having no healing spells? Really leaning towards a Hawkeye, Riesz, Angela playthrough.

Like it is "you'll barely notice because items are plentiful" level, or "you'll have to go out of your way to get extra healing items and you'll definitely notice" level?

Healing items are so plentiful I didn’t actually have to buy any until after I killed two benevodons, and now the expense is trivial.

You will spend time in the item ring making everyone eat their chocolates of course.

Gonna feel real weird on future playthroughs that actually have healing spells.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Class reset items must be very rare. Haven’t seen one at 6 beasts in. I wish I had taken Reisz down the dark path because Hawkeye and Angela have hefty damage modifiers on debuffed enemies but no consistent ways to apply. Oh well, not much game left I guess. Feels like my party building is just getting started!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Currently getting my butt kicked by Xan Bie. Even at roughly equivalent level it doesn't seem possible to beat all three idols before the explosion. Very annoying.

Save your CS for them. A lv 1 CS will kill them or almost kill them. The game starts using this trick a whole lot towards the end.

There was an endgame-ish boss Malochio or w/e his name is that required even more planning, since the targets move and most CS moves miss. Had to save Angela's lv 3 CS for them (and break pots if she didn't have the %).

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
For anyone wondering, if you beat the game on PS4, you get the story completion trophies for all 3 characters. Which means 100% completion is 3 playthroughs (to kill all villains, I think), not 6.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Do different ranks of skills stack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have so many damage modifiers I almost killed Anise in a single big Hawkeye crit.

Just one more boss left. Game good.