Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

YggiDee posted:

Oh god I'm chronically indecisive, how the hell do people manage to pick a party for SD3?

Just pick whoever you think is cute or cool. Then realize your mistakes 10 hours into the game when you make them all go Dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Multiplayer is more a nice bonus sort of like how Tales games always have co-op as an option. You can play them single-player just fine

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I like pairing up the two characters for a route so you get the complete story, but it's fun to do offbeat combinations too. For those who are new to Trials, Duran/Angela, Kevin/Charlotte, and Hawkeye/Lise are the pairs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For anyone new to Trials, the lets play is informative about certain mechanics the game will never explain to you, like how half your stats are useless!

https://lparchive.org/Seiken-Densetsu-3-(by-ddegenha)/Update%2061/

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mean, you could still use Light Duran as your healer, and he'll still hit like a truck.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
No they are dicks to the bitter end

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
On a sidenote, I really need to resist making Carlie parties just cause I like having 3 people for the first boss.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

W.T. Fits posted:

Started Trials with a party of Angela, Duran and Kevin. Just finished the boss fight to get the first elemental, Lumina, and I've got a question about what I should be doing with stats for my party.

Going off the page in the LP that was linked earlier, I know for Angela I should be doing Int > Spirit > Stamina if I can't raise either of the first two, but what should I be throwing my points into for Duran and Kevin (when I get him) besides Strength and occasionally Stamina?

Just put points into Int or Spirit since those affect magic def slightly. Probably Int, since there's more regular magic attacks than there are holy attacks in the game. If you're taking Duran or Kevin down the Light route, then they can use Spirit for their heals. Whichever stat is higher will affect your max MP, but this is only mainly relevant to Duran and his sabers, since Kevin is generally focused on punching stuff all the time.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 12, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hawk, Riesz, x is kinda just the best in general assuming you go Light Riesz and Dark Hawk.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Some are more synergistic than others. I like pairing Duran and Angela together, but they don't actually complement each other well party-wise since they're just off doing their own thing with Duran smashing things with his sword and Angela magic spamming, and Duran's sabers are only marginally useful for Angela since she's not gonna be smacking things often with her staff.

EDIT: All Girl squad is good. It's gonna be Caster-focused, but Light Riesz will always be there to buff, and Dark Charlotte pairs well with Angela.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 13, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

PantsBandit posted:

Is there any strategy to the bosses beyond mashing attack and healing when you're about to die? So far it doesn't seem like they really have dodgeable attacks.

Oh and dex is the broken stat I guess? Does Hawk still rely on it?

Yeah, all the bugs and glitches still apply, so dex is still only useful for Hawkeye, and Kevin is still a murder machine who gets buffed by anything while in werewolf form

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, don't go too crazy with magic spam since lots of bosses love to counter you for doing that. Course, if you cast silence on them beforehand...

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 13, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Can't believe Death Hand is no longer called Death Hand

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dervish got renamed to Fatal Fist and Deathhand got renamed to Enlightened unless I'm mixing them up. I might be. Doesn't help that old faqs seem inconsistent on which is which.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 14, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ah yeah, I think Death Hand is now Fatal Fist, and Dervish is Enlightened, which makes sense.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spudd posted:

Okay so I'm gonna replay Secret of Mana (and finish it this time) should I be waiting for my meter to fully recharge before attacking again and should I exclusively be using charge attacks?

Also loving jellies dodging everything forever.

100% and I believe lvl 1 charge are basically the only attacks worth using. Maybe not ever worth charging other than during boss downtime

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ChrisBTY posted:

I already played SD3 to completion but it was a long time ago. I ran Duran, Angela and I thought Charlotte but I had to specifically make Duran my healer so it couldn't have been her. I just know it was a trio with little/no inherit synergy.

To be fair, Angela just doesn't get great synergy in general since all she brings usually is nuke the screen, and it's easy to just stumble into a team combination that doesn't support her at all. Kevin potentially has that problem too, but you'll almost always have someone who can buff him directly or indirectly, unless it's some combination of Angela, Light-Dark Duran, or Light-Light Hawk where you get no physical buffs/debuffs at all, and Kevin is still ridiculously strong without buffers anyways. I still like to bring Angela though cause I like her sass.

EDIT: Confused Light-light Hawk with Light-Dark Hawk. Light-Dark's the one who's all about throwing grenades and darts at things till they die and nothing else.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 17, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Riesz in either Light or Dark will always help any team, though she usually goes Light since other characters can bring debuffs. Dark Carlie or Dark Hawk for their debuffs, and edge-case of Light-Dark Kevin for Leaf Saber, for an Angela Focused team.

Edit: Forgot that Dark-Light Duran also has Leaf Saber, so yeah, I guess everyone could support Angela to some degree, though it’s edge-cases in the case of Duran and Kevin.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 18, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Though really, all this theorycrafting becomes silly once you realize the 2nd class-change basically happens right at the end of the game, so you never get the chance to fully test your team out on stuff.

Threads of Mana isn't the most well-designed game, which I hope the remake addresses in some degree. I just really like Mana's classes conceptually though, and hope they explore it and/or Legend's weapons if they ever make a new Mana game

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I appreciate the Remake just looked at his stats and how he actually is in the original game, and just doubled down on him being the big berserker rather than re-balancing him to be the tank the original game seemed to try to make him based off his stat growth, but instead bugged out and buffed him whenever he got hit in wolf form.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It’s based off a gacha mobile game. One of Square’s more profitable properties that’s basically unknown in the West. Riesz getting added as a guest character to the fighting game spinoff is just a surprise all around

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You don’t have to back out and swap. Just pick the item, and a message will pop up to hand over, and you’ll see the stats that way. Still awkward but you’re not backing out all the time.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Reality Sinner posted:

What was wrong a the calling them Mana Beasts? What the heck is a Benevedon?

It's the official name that was localized back in Legend of Mana, or Sword of Mana. I forget which

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Pretty sure the game gives you one amigo so you can share amigos with other people, but I could just be misremembering

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The real question is how they'll redo Black Rabite

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I got the art book too, it’s real nice. Also got to learn that Kevin’s design is basically evil Goku

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah pretty much. A bunch of cut stuff were recycled into chrono trigger in some way

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This blog has some neat speculation and looking back on Secret of Mana if anyone's curious.

https://manaredux.blogspot.com

But yeah, there's obviously a lot more world map than we actually explore, as well as the last act rush.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Bunch of news about new stuff they're doing with the game.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/trials-of-mana-details-growth-system-abilities-appearance-changes-seeds-and-more

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You don't have to worry about it too much since the game will eventually force you to put stat points into other less good stats. But yeah, just focus on the dmg stats for the most part, and maybe look up stat requirements for spells, though it's usually Int or Spi.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, relying on items that are only available from one shop in the entire world to substitute for what you're missing in your party comp isn't the most intuitive thing to grasp

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yo

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1239754583716450304?s=19

Preliminary tier 4 Class names:

Duran: Saber (light) / Berserker (dark)

Angela: Witch Queen (light) / Spellcaster (dark)

Kevin: Beast King (light) / Destroyer (dark)

Charlotte: High Priestess (Light) / Chaos Maker (Dark)

Hawkeye: Spriggan (light) / Avenger (dark)

Riesz: Meteor (light) / Hræsvelgr (dark)

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 17, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also final trailer!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sQhI6W1Vpo

All these bosses suddenly having FFXIV style mechanics has me excited

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 17, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ah other article shows off the other 6 designs.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/03/trials-of-mana-details-post-game-new-episode-class-04-and-lil-cactus

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hearing Angela voiced and the direction they decided to go with her for localization has given me more appreciation for Angela

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, having to spread out level-up stats for Angela cause all her spells are under different stats is gonna mess with my head. The abilities should be interesting to see how they work out in party synergies, since I didn't fully grasp how one character learning a cross-party skill meant anyone in the party could equip it till now

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm in love with this demo. For those who know the game, does comp actually matter or can I play on normal with whatever anime wunderkinds I prefer?

Mechanically, it’s somewhat hard to say since they changed certain things that might make party synergy more of a thing. If it’s like the original though, any composition is possible, you just might need to store more items away to make up for whatever you’re lacking.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
My current speculation is that there's only 1 item seed now, and upgrading the flower pot will eventually let the item seed reach class change status.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kinda lame the english side didn't give the full quiz. The japanese quiz gave you a full party composition.

For anyone who is curious.

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken3_tom/shindan/

Google translate can grab most of it (by which I mean, point your phone gtranslate app at it)

Allarion fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I’m more interested to see how cross class skills will play out for teams, since it seems like good odds there’ll be skills in stat trees that’ll be less useful for who learns it, but be super beneficial to someone else in their team to equip. Could lead to interesting scenarios like Duran pushing points into int for a skill for Angela to equip.