Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Rirse posted:

I still love the final boss theme from the game.

Don't y'all be sleeping on Courage and Pride from the Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9nfoC5r6x0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONwQoD7geaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRJEochqy6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Am I remembering correctly that Dawn of Mana has, like, the most depressing loving story? I recall the ending to that game being miserably bleak.
And in retrospect, it kinda made me wonder if it was supposed to be an origin story for SD3's Dark Prince.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

It was. Or at least I remember so? I played this way back in the PS2 around 2004-2005 . From what I remember the world falls into darkness and you have to kill your best friend, the protagonist from Sword of Mana (I think?), your girlfriend and your Navi

e: welp google says this came out in 2007 so I guess it wasn't as long ago as I thought. the gently caress memory

Yeah, I remember literally everyone other than the protagonist bites it, and the latter half of the game is him crying and euthanizing his loved ones, then he returns home to his desolate and empty village. Happy ending!
Deffo seems like a villain origin story. A lot of people say that Stroud from that game somehow survived and became the SD3 Archdemon, but honestly, it's gotta be the protagonist.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Oh yeah, that game tops the list of "bad games with great OSTs".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-tJQpmtXJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVAUzHKwON0

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I streamed Secret of Mana co-op a few years back (which was a beautiful, hilarious trainwreck), and that game's second half is absolutely unfinished.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Dude, an extra chapter? Y'know what? gently caress yeah, it'll probably be cool.
Is that Anise in the trailer? That's some deep lore if true.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ahhhhhh this game looks so good, but I can't decide whether to get it on PC, PS4, or Switch.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Is the Switch version decent? Any noticeable differences between versions?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Demo was good. Biggest shocks were gay Lumina and Kevin swimming across the loving ocean because he's too dumb to get a boat.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

He actually does swim in the original! But it's such a quick scene it's easy to miss. I love that they expanded on those little things. And don't call my boi dumb :(

I love Kevin and his big idiot head. I always pick Kevin. Kevin's my boy.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Mana continuity is incredibly weird. We got Goremand and Isabella both showing up in Sword of Mana, we have a Lore Vandole who was ultra powerful and a Secret of Mana Vandole who was bitch, and we have Stroud showing up (as a different character?) in Dawn of Mana.
Speaking of Dawn of Mana (a not-great game with some great music), holy gently caress is it depressing. That game's got one of the most "gently caress you, everything is terrible" endings I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of fans say that the Stroud in that game becomes The Dark Prince, but that doesn't really make sense because he dies. However, the protagonist of the game is technically royalty, and like the Dark Prince, he did kill the previous Archdemon. And since that game is basically about him losing literally everything in his life, I've always thought that it could work as a villain origin story. I wonder if the Trials remake will lean into any of that, seeing as how they're trying to tie stuff together with Anise.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

I've gotten some of it from listening to others who have, and have seen the datamined information on the pastebin myself. For example, Black Rabite exists and gives you a Chain Link Ability for beating it. There are more story-dependent Chain Link Abilities than I expected, and the way we're getting some of them are... interesting to say the least.

It also seems like they've also changed certain things in the remake itself beyond the gameplay overhaul. It's likely that a cut boss from the original that was supposed to be fought at Beuca Island is coming back for the remake, and three characters from the original appears to have been promoted to being bosses in the remake based on the datamined files grouping them in with the other bosses.

Do we have confirmation on Anise/Medusa as true final boss?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Duran can heal, right?
If so, I'll go Hawkeye, Riesz, and Duran.
I feel bad for abandoning Kevin, but I want to do the characters in their proper pairs, and I don't want to listen to Charlotte on my first playthrough.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I never beat the original when I was a kid because I got stuck on Dolan. gently caress Dolan.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Why did the difficulty skyrocket during the siege of Laurent? Those bosses were, uh, something.
Is there any way to make sure my AI party members don't immediately run back into the blast radius when I try to move them out of the way of an AOE? They seem suicidal.
Also, I picked Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela. Did I pick, like, the one combo that gets no healing spells? On the Dark Prince route? Because if so, oof.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

My entire party just got petrified in one fell swoop and I lost 40 minutes of progress. :(

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Shoenin posted:

oof, sorry to hear that mate :(
Golems in snow im assuming?

Nah, loving cockatrice things on the volcano island.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Goddamn, I dig how annoying and bratty Angela is. Her dialogue is so anachronistic and it's delightful. She's probably my favorite character.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I wish Kevin sounded more like he did in my head back in the day. He was more of a guttural caveman then.
But I'll say again, I cannot get enough of Angela. I find all of her dialogue and delivery to be loving hilarious.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Wow the Anise time trial abilities and Black Bunny ability simply break this game over it's spine don't they?

Also I just remembered that Anise was also the final boss in Dawn of Mana, although I recall her being called Medusa in that game?

It's the same character. She's also in Heroes of Mana, apparently, and in first got mentioned in the lore of Legends of Mana. The names are used interchangeably.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I haven't gotten any ??? seeds yet, but if I happen to get one that I don't want, can I still use that to class change, then go back and change again if I get the one I actually want later?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Good to know! Thank you for stopping me from loving myself over!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Beat the main game today. Took down all 8 Benevodons and the Archdemon in a single day. Planning to beat the poo poo out of Anise tomorrow.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Anise's Stockade sucked, but I'm finished. Don't know if I'm gonna try to beat Anise three more times, as I'm not sure I'm ready to do NG+/another party just yet. But I did take down the Black Rabite. Said bunny didn't kill me, but Anise did because of her loving mass petrification. Seriously, I got like 3 game overs in my entire playthrough and they were ALL due to that poo poo.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

"That's it? Pfffhaaah! What a joke!"
"I love shopping!"
*specific, unique complaint about every area in the game*

Angela owns.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I got Angela's DD outfit and I was like, "Wow, you're just... literally naked now. In ice kingdom."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

orcane posted:

I mean... she starts with very few clothes already. In ice kingdom.

Stop hating on my stripper magician :argh:

I ain't hating! I love Angela!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I just started with Angela, Hawkeye, Riesz and didn't realize that I have no healer. It's my first time playing this and I just want a chill experience. Should I restart with Duran or Charlotte included or will I be fine without a healer in the party? So far the game is showering me with healing items but I don't want to spend half of the game in the item ring when enemies start doing real damage later on.

I had the same party combo and beat the game yesterday for the first time. It's doable. Just stock up on candy and chocolate and cups near the endgame, just in case.
My only game overs were due to petrifications, not real party wipes.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Trials of Mana: For When You've Finished FF7R

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

Trials of Mana: E!

I like this one!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

sigher posted:

Does Hawkeye still do Michael Jackson dances when he attacks and opens poo poo?

Nah he does finger guns.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

jokes posted:

Beating the game isn’t even the end of the game. Beating the endgame is also not the end of the game. Beating the black rabite is, essentially, the final task of a play through.

I beat the Black Rabite before Anise, actually.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

YggiDee posted:

She's in Dawn of Mana and Heroes of Mana.

And the lore of Legend of Mana. And Sword of Mana, if you count Medusa as the same character.
But since Dawn of Mana, they've been billing her as the big bad of the series.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Taear posted:

I've never played Legend, I guess it's part of the collection on the switch but it feels too old for me to play now. Hell, I loved SoM when I was younger but I can't play it now because of the way the attacks work so I can't imagine how annoying Legend would be.
I'd way rather Mana or Evermore got remade like this.

Or a new game in the same series. Seiken Denetsu 4 when

Dawn of Mana was officially Seiken Densetsu 4, and was titled as such in Japan.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

re: the story talk a few pages back regarding the Mana games, personally I really liked the story in Dawn of Mana and think it's pretty solid story telling.

The problem is that in order to enjoy the story of Dawn of Mana you have to put up with the horrible, HORRIBLE, horrible combat and map exploration in that game. I'd easily put it amongst my top 3 of worst action combat systems ever.

Whoever thought it was a good idea that ALL boss fights required you to toss whatever furniture was around to create a proper opening to whack on said boss probably watched one too many WWE fights.

Not to mention that every chapter you have to regrind your levels in order to be able to properly toss said furniture around.

Is there a reason why Dawn of Mana's story is so goddamn cruel to its protagonist?
Seriously, he loses his village, his best friend, his girlfriend, his faerie, everything. Kid's got nothing to go back to once it's all over, and there's not much to mitigate his losses or give him any sort of meaning. It is a Naked Snake level of villain origin story. I always liked to think that he became the Dark Prince/Majesty, but that's very likely not true.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Dawn of Mana's soundtrack is so good it should be illegal.

Anyway, I always thought the main character could be The Dark Majesty since they were both abandoned princes who slew the Archdemon.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I like how SD3's easy mode was just "pick Kevin." And now Trials' easy mode is "pick Angela."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Taear posted:

It's definitely still pick Kevin.

I feel like the worst character this time over is Hawkeye, he's a bit all over the place. It's very strange that his light/light class suddenly requires spirit for example and all his spells are weirdly crowd controlly and not that great. I feel like everyone else has their special niche and he doesn't.
That's not to say he's bad, just the worst of the 6.

Hawkeye eventually gets an instakill attack with his strong attacks. He's good.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Don't know if any of you watch Vinny's streams, but he went up against Zehnoa last night and it was a hilarious trainwreck (timestamp at 24:16):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeThoKOiqoI&t=1456s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

That's it? Pfffhaaaah! What a joke!

E!